• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BuddaLun

Reaction score
I wouldn't get all too excited with TRR's measurements or details provided. My recent experience is sometimes they're off and the actual condition of the item is not properly described on the listing.

well, all I can do is hope at this point

marmite

Reaction score
TBH, I'm prob not going to try one on because that would require me ordering one and I'm not really interested in Vanson jackets.
You're in San Francisco if I'm not mistaken? There's a well regarded maker of motorcycle jackets, Johnson Leather, at Polk and Jackson. My two JL jackets both had collar gaps, but they were armored jackets designed for motorcycle riding. I believe it's to accommodate wearing the jacket both with and without the (removable) armor and to provide extra space in the shoulders when leaning forward. Some other vintage motorcycle jackets I came across also had the gap, so I do think it's a functional feature.

I wouldn't ride in Schott for what it's worth, but I understand there are some who would.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with two so far.

Schott x Bathing Ape Cafe Racer, which is basically a Schott 141xJS with hand pockets

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.28.34 PM.png

and a James Grose Napa Shearling

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.29.22 PM.png

Now I'm just open to finding a lighter weather jacket, maybe a leather MA-1. Or even an unlined Iron Heart Denim Rider's jacket (just sold my lined and padded version).

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking forward to seeing this worn. I’m intrigued, especially given that Five Star’s new horsehide is now identical in feel to the Horween they studied.

Now I'm just open to finding a lighter weather jacket, maybe a leather MA-1. Or even an unlined Iron Heart Denim Rider's jacket (just sold my lined and padded version).

Consider getting an L-2 (sort of the summer cousin of an MA-1). It makes an excellent complement to leather and winter jackets. I love mine and wear it often. There are a bunch at HPA.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this worn. I’m intrigued, especially given that Five Star’s new horsehide is now identical in feel to the Horween they studied.

I'd love to get something in HH next. This incoming one is in black goat

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
especially given that Five Star’s new horsehide is now identical in feel to the Horween they studied.
I really want to try something with these guys, but to be honest, I'm terrified of going off my own measurements...

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to try something with these guys, but to be honest, I'm terrified of going off my own measurements...

It seems like now the best route is to go for one of their stock patterns and specify sleeve/body length changes (if any) rather than going full custom as people were a couple of years ago. They seem to have dialed in their stock patterns.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like now the best route is to go for one of their stock patterns and specify sleeve/body length changes (if any) rather than going full custom as people were a couple of years ago. They seem to have dialed in their stock patterns.

I did that with my Thedi. I tried on a stock size in the model I wanted, then asked for halfway between the large and medium for the shoulders and chest with the rest being measurements for the medium. It turned out just right.

garigo

Reaction score
Do you guys have any favorite suede jackets, other than the usual suspects from Stòffa and Valstar?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any favorite suede jackets, other than the usual suspects from Stòffa and Valstar?
@UrbanComposition has/had a suede 101j if I recall correctly I think is really nice. In the same vein, Kapital suede thunderbird jacket from the Santo Domingo collection no one owns. RRL had a few cool suede chore coats in the past I thought were cool. Also the Mister Freedom Johnny suede campus jacket they made for a season. Also suede 5-zip because 5-zip is life.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@UrbanComposition has/had a suede 101j if I recall correctly

Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren.

I'd say vintage/used Levi's Type 3, if you can find one that fits.

Also

1646409207863.png

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

garigo

Reaction score
Those all look really cool, especially the McCoy's one! I think overall I still prefer the Clint. I also like the chore jacket from Drake's, even though I wish it was a touch longer.

922076-3c9f31c45faff273a0d03f6d1b5b455f.jpg
Suede-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy