• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nykwil

Reaction score
I'm probably going to regret this but please, elaborate...
Spraying it down with water/walking in the rain and wearing it to conform to body.
Some people will soak the jacket and toss it into a cold dryer to knock out some of the newness.
Good quality leather will handle it fine, but I wouldn't do it on high heat or too often.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to regret this but please, elaborate...

Sure thing. I put on the jacket and then take a shower in luke warm water for about 10 minutes until it is completely soaked. While in the shower I try to move around with my arms etc as much as possible to start set creases etc. Then I sandwich the jacket between two towels, roll it all up and press hard on it all to get rid of excess water. After that, I air dry the jacket laying flat (no dryer!) until the bulk of the remaining water has gone. Finally, I put on the jacket again while it is still pretty wet and wear it as much as possible around the house before it dries up completely. In this case I watched TV for a few hours. Then I just let it hang dry until it's totally dry, which can take another day or so.

I've done this in some shape or form with basically all leathers I own/owned over the last five years or so (for example MMM 5 zip in calf, Aero BR in CXL and Vicenza, Aero Highwayman in CXL) and it's worked great each time. The process can dry out some leathers and make them very stiff, which I usually take care of by rolling the jacket and squeezing it and applying a small amount of conditioner (Bick 4).

Ymmv of course. I for one don't like the all shiny, stiff new leather jacket look. So I try to get away from it asap.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last two pics of the Edward from just now, to show the final results of "my process". This is after rolling up the jacket a few times once it has dried after the soak and then conditioning and brushing it all over. Now it's ready to go for when the temperatures start to fall. Can't wait.

IMG_20200818_120957.jpg

IMG_20200818_121031.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last two pics of the Edward from just now, to show the final results of "my process". This is after rolling up the jacket a few times once it has dried after the soak and then conditioning and brushing it all over. Now it's ready to go for when the temperatures start to fall. Can't wait.

View attachment 1442845

View attachment 1442844

That is dedication but I think the results look good. I don't think I would purposely saturate a jacket like that but maybe the FCL I bought for cheap is worth a shot especially since I don't like black leather. Anyway to stretch out the chest a little? That is where mine is tight (too many pushups for Mission 22 I guess.)

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even feel like these fine Creek are that stiff. I bought it and wore it out of the store. If I have to think too much about how it's worn or break it in, it ain't worth it for me.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is dedication but I think the results look good. I don't think I would purposely saturate a jacket like that but maybe the FCL I bought for cheap is worth a shot especially since I don't like black leather. Anyway to stretch out the chest a little? That is where mine is tight (too many pushups for Mission 22 I guess.)

I don't think a couple of hours of my time counts as much of dedication tbh, compared to, say, buying an rtw suit and then going back an forth to a tailor to have it taken in/sleeves shortened/etc. But I guess this is all pretty subjective. I prefer the worn in look to the all new leather look (except maybe in the case for luxe type leathers), so to me it's worth it. Ymmv.

I wouldn't try to stretch out a jacket by soaking it. Worst case, it can end up shrinking in that exact area, or some other place you don't like it to do so.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a couple of hours of my time counts as much of dedication tbh, compared to, say, buying an rtw suit and then going back an forth to a tailor to have it taken in/sleeves shortened/etc. But I guess this is all pretty subjective. I prefer the worn in look to the all new leather look (except maybe in the case for luxe type leathers), so to me it's worth it. Ymmv.

I wouldn't try to stretch out a jacket by soaking it. Worst case, it can end up shrinking in that exact area, or some other place you don't like it to do so.

I hear you. My wife already thinks I'm strange for breaking in raw denim by wearing it wet, so if I add a wet leather jacket, I think she will get me committed.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. My wife already thinks I'm strange for breaking in raw denim by wearing it wet, so it I add a wet leather jacket, I think she will get me committed.

Coincidently I wore a pair of brand new century denim in the tub today. My gf came in to the bathroom, looked at me, shook her head and then went straight out and got her phone, took a photo of me and sent it to her friends. "Proof, finally" was all she said...

Dedication.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahah that funny, I tried that once because I was new to the denim game. Didn't feel or care for the difference. Now I just wash it in the machine on warm and hang dry. Especially century denim because that doesn't even shrink.

Y'all are dedicated, I appreciate that but man I could never do that stuff again.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahah that funny, I tried that once because I was new to the denim game. Didn't feel or care for the difference. Now I just wash it in the machine on warm and hang dry. Especially century denim because that doesn't even shrink.

Y'all are dedicated, I appreciate that but man I could never do that stuff again.

I'll do as you once I know what to expect from the CD fabric. Better easy into it and take it step by step. I don't want to risk throwing in expensive denim in a warm wash the first thing I do. I don't have that kind of money to throw around.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll do as you once I know what to expect from the CD fabric. Better easy into it and take it step by step. I don't want to risk throwing in expensive denim in a warm wash the first thing I do. I don't have that kind of money to throw around.

I actually bought a pair from Self Edge that was a little too tight but since it was on sale, I couldn't return it. Besides, you don't really know its too tight until you soak it anyway. So, I wore them wet while doing yard work and lots of squats and lunges. Now they fit decently. That's what I get for buying jeans on sale.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually bought a pair from Self Edge that was a little too tight but since it was on sale, I couldn't return it. Besides, you don't really know its too tight until you soak it anyway. So, I wore them wet while doing yard work and lots of squats and lunges. Now they fit decently. That's what I get for buying jeans on sale.

Self Edge carries Kapital? :puzzled:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads