• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
XPOST from RO threads

Ok so its been raining in Sf so i haven't worn much leathers thats why this jacket is still with tags but here are some pics.

Calf Intarsia SS17

album here http://imgur.com/a/lECrm

lmk if i should put any other pics on sf...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Vickt it looks awesome. Is the star stud on the epaulet removable?

Schott makes Perfectos without the star. I don't know if they have it in the 519 fit, but there are a bunch of variations on the Perfecto (fit, star, no star, etc).

My Schott doesn't have a star.

Last edited:

choombak

Reaction score
Recently acquired (and my first) leather jacket from Schott NYC, the P673 Storm in cowhide. Being the only leather jacket I own, its the best so far. Breaking in nicely after a few days of wear... Schott helped me selecting size M for my 5' 7" frame, 39-40 shirt size. Initially it felt as if I was carrying around a very stiff piece of clothing, but the feel softened in a few days, and now I can feel it moulding to my body on a daily basis. (apology for the poor quality cell-phone pics).

Last edited:

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
I really dig the color of the leather! But to my eye, it looks a bit big on you, especially the sleeves. Maybe it might make sense to slim down/shorten them a bit...

choombak

Reaction score

​I really dig the color of the leather!  But to my eye, it looks a bit big on you, especially the sleeves.  Maybe it might make sense to slim down/shorten them a bit...

Spot on - the sleeves are indeed a bit longer - Schott staff did indicate this before the purchase. Though I am undecided on the shortening/slimming of sleeves - always had problems with shirt sleeves getting rolled up in slim sleeve-jackets! :D I am secretly glad the sleeves accommodate my shirt sleeves as well! ;-)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
in the same way as some people wet their jeans while wearing them so that they mold to the body (I'm not talking about saniforizing), do people do that with leathers? Again, not for shrinkage or even softening but just to sort of set creases?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people do. Aero describes the process on their website.

of course, it happens over time anyways (particular with cowhide) but you can speed up the process in a drizzle.

b1lf

Reaction score

​I really dig the color of the leather!  But to my eye, it looks a bit big on you, especially the sleeves.  Maybe it might make sense to slim down/shorten them a bit...

^This.  I'm also 5'7" and I would only go for XS or S on Schott.

Agreed on the fact the sleeves look a bit too big (not just long, but loose) - however the sleeves will at least shorten with time as the creases in the arm (elbow) will cause the cuff line to rise a bit.

I also sized down with Schott - the jacket fit perfect in every way EXCEPT the shoulders. That will never stretch. So I had to sell.....

Sizing down doesn't always work. I say the guy brakes it in for awhile, and then adjust later if necessary - especially since he's:

1) happy with it
2) past the point of exchanging it

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
Agreed on the fact the sleeves look a bit too big (not just long, but loose) - however the sleeves will at least shorten with time as the creases in the arm (elbow) will cause the cuff line to rise a bit.

I also sized down with Schott - the jacket fit perfect in every way EXCEPT the shoulders. That will never stretch. So I had to sell.....

Sizing down doesn't always work. I say the guy brakes it in for awhile, and then adjust later if necessary - especially since he's:

1) happy with it
2) past the point of exchanging it

why wait to slim the sleeves? narrower sleeves will help with creases, while waiting for them to emerge and then slimming might mess up the look. if you are very worried about the cuff rising, you can always shorten it a bit less than ideal length. I mean, this is not a suit, so there is a lot of room on what would be considered acceptable length for sleeves. I am just trying to figure out the right way to do it for myself with future leather jacket purchases in mind...

b1lf

Reaction score
why wait to slim the sleeves? narrower sleeves will help with creases, while waiting for them to emerge and then slimming might mess up the look. if you are very worried about the cuff rising, you can always shorten it a bit less than ideal length. I mean, this is not a suit, so there is a lot of room on what would be considered acceptable length for sleeves. I am just trying to figure out the right way to do it for myself with future leather jacket purchases in mind...

Well... where does this guy live? Will he be seeing a lot of (perhaps random) rain with the jacket on? Rain (aka water) can change the shape of the jacket. It all depends on the type of leather and how much or little water its exposed to... plenty of factors I guess.

I'd just give it a month or two to settle in then go from there.

ALSO - selling a two month old, unaltered jacket, is pretty damn easy. Especially a Schott. Selling a custom tailored/altered jacket - not so much.

There is no clear right or wrong answer here, just general guidelines I choose to follow. Oh - and leather alterations are f****ing expensive and its hard to find an appropriate leather tailor that nails it. Once you punch a hole in leather, its there for good, unlike cloth fabric which is easy to adjust.

Last edited:

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
Yeah, fair point about selling. I am unconvinced about merits of waiting for months if the sleeves are clearly big and baggy. Funny enough, I bought a Belstaff jacket and wonder if I should shorten the sleeves as well. It's a totally different type of leather and the fit fairly tight, but when it will get warmer, I will post a picture and seek opinions. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt