• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather duffle bags...worth it?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Moo that bag looks terrible. Like PU or some faux-distressed leather substitute.

laugh.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
very nice. I paid $500 more for my RL duffle. lol. westinghouse, would you mind sharing how much you got your sexy bag?

Retails for $1,195. I paid $650.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping a slightly old thread:

I was at KOP this weekend originally to run to BB, but got sidetracked at a number of other stores. Long story short, ended up in Ferragamo and absolutely loved a leather duffle that they had on sale. Tried to convince myself out of buying it by visiting LV, RL, Hermes, Tumi and various other stores to no avail. To make matters worse, my girlfriend loved it too and said that I should have it due to traveling so much lately.

Eneded up getting it and will probably pass on to my girlfriend by BB leather and wool duffle that I have been using for the last year.

Quarks

Reaction score
I picked up this Ralph Lauren wool & leather dufflle bag earlier this year.
Really nice contrasting colour especially with the brown leather. Haven't travelled with it yet but what I found was it can be quite flimsy if carried with the sling, but carrying by the handles is more appropriate (I pity my forearms.)
Seller's pic.
435684857_tp.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Bumping a slightly old thread:

I was at KOP this weekend originally to run to BB, but got sidetracked at a number of other stores. Long story short, ended up in Ferragamo and absolutely loved a leather duffle that they had on sale. Tried to convince myself out of buying it by visiting LV, RL, Hermes, Tumi and various other stores to no avail. To make matters worse, my girlfriend loved it too and said that I should have it due to traveling so much lately.

Eneded up getting it and will probably pass on to my girlfriend by BB leather and wool duffle that I have been using for the last year.

Pics? I have a soft spot for that SF store at KOP.

I think the LV classic duffles look good for air travel. I've been thinking about converting over my hideous mainstream roller for one, but don't know if I feel like going through the bother of carrying it on my shoulder. I travel light but about every other week so it could be onerous.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the Ferragamo bag has been discontinued. The store only had one because someone had ordered it and then changed their mind.

Here is my BB leather and wool bag that I have been using and found to be the perfect travel size as it fits the clothes needed for a week including running shoes and a second set of shoes (besides the ones that I'm wearing), yet it still fits in the overhead of regional jets. I would guess that it is made at the same factory as RL bags as they seem to have very similiar construction:

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

Is is with a little sadness that that bag is being replaced.

Here is the Ferragamo bag. It is hard to photograph as it is a hand-dyed leather and has a lot of color variations to it. As I said, I looked around for something that I liked better. I even looked at the LV $4,200 bag but still found this one more interesting.

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

My least-favorite part--the damn logo. The LV bag had it beat in this department as the only logo was inscribed in the metal rivets which was very descrete and classy. This one, not so much. Maybe I can black it out a little more. The close-up, you can see the variations in the leather and even the strap. Bag is buttery soft by the way which sork or makes up for the logo.

DSC01711.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks excellent. I'm probably in the same boat as you, as I fly quite a few regional jets using US Air, so I'm heartened to hear duffles work well. I also pack a pair of running shoes and one extra dress shoes. Hmm.

I really like the leather and the worn, but not overly distressed look of the SF. The logo isn't too bad as it seems to blend with the bag, and I have found that SF is a little less of an in-your-face luxe brand compared to the Guccis and Pradas of the world.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Looks excellent. I'm probably in the same boat as you, as I fly quite a few regional jets using US Air, so I'm heartened to hear duffles work well. I also pack a pair of running shoes and one extra dress shoes. Hmm.

I really like the leather and the worn, but not overly distressed look of the SF. The logo isn't too bad as it seems to blend with the bag, and I have found that SF is a little less of an in-your-face luxe brand compared to the Guccis and Pradas of the world.

I fly pretty much every other week and sometimes two weeks in a row. Surprisingly, after amost a year of use, the BB has almost no signs of wear.

The logo is not too bad I guess--expecially when compared to the LV monogram on their cheaper ****.

Time to take this thing on the road and beat it up to get some real patina. Will post pictures in 5 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads