• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Boots - Beginners Help

abruno

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just recently joined SF and decided it would be best to post a new thread. Let me start off by saying that during my childhood, I never had a family member help me out with "life lessons." When it comes to things like "your belt color should match your shoes" was something I had to teach myself. So please forgive me if these questions are very basic and maybe considered "common knowledge."

A few months ago I decided to start dressing my age and bought a rather nice pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot (Original / Black). Tonight I also purchased a Eastland Made In Maine Seneca USA (Dark Olive). Here is my problem, I have no idea how to care for these boots. I really want them to last but don't really know where to start.

• I don't know what sections of leathers were used to make each boot. Does that matter? How?
  • I don't know how often I should clean each boot. Is it done by appearance?
  • I don't know what I should use to clean each boot. What do I use? How to I use that?
  • I live in an area where salt and snow are common. How can I prevent damage to the boots?
  • How can I clean them without producing a shine? I prefer a matte finish. I also don't want to change the color of the boot if possible.
  • Should I use shoe trees?
  • How should I store them when I'm not wearing them?
  • Should I go to a local shoe shiner?
  • Any recommendations for a blog or something that can help?

Also, when I purchased my 1000 mile boot it came with a free boot care kit. Inside it looks like I have some Leather Creme (Neutral), a nice brush that looks to be made of some animal hair, a nice cloth that reminds me of something you would use for eye glasses, and some leather conditioner that says it "Clears, polishes, protects, and conditions" "for all colors of leather and vinyl."

Again I hope these aren't too basic. I attempted to search the forums but found everything to be not basic enough. I really need to start from square one.

Thanks,
abruno

wolverine_1000mile1.jpeg

Eastland-Seneca.png

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abruno
Hey there,

Just recently joined SF and decided it would be best to post a new thread. Let me start off by saying that during my childhood...

I'm sorry, I almost dozed off at this point.

newguy

Reaction score
I think if you search the forum for threads with "1000 mile", you'll find what you want there.

Alternatively, I believe Wolverine has a blog all about the 100 mile collection, which featured a boot-care post a looong-ass time ago, could dig there.

Or just google.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads