• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large bag/case for motorcycling and work?

Omega

Reaction score
I drive motorcycle to work (170+ miles daily) as it is the quickest and most convenient means of transportation in my case. At work, I am required to wear business suit with a proper shirt, tie and shoes. However, I need some nice looking case/bag to transport my things - my briefcase (Papworth) with laptop and charger, Lat56 Rat-Pak suit carrier and shoes while driving to/from work and keep my biking gear (jacket, trousers and boots) and Lat56 Rat-Pak after I change to office clothing. It is important that I either could attach the bag/case to my bike rack or wear it as a backpack (best option). It should also be absolutely waterproof and stand against weather – I drive all year round in any weather.
Thanks.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I drive motorcycle to work (170+ miles daily) as it is the quickest and most convenient means of transportation in my case. At work, I am required to wear business suit with a proper shirt, tie and shoes. However, I need some nice looking case/bag to transport my things - my briefcase (Papworth) with laptop and charger, Lat56 Rat-Pak suit carrier and shoes while driving to/from work and keep my biking gear (jacket, trousers and boots) and Lat56 Rat-Pak after I change to office clothing. It is important that I either could attach the bag/case to my bike rack or wear it as a backpack (best option). It should also be absolutely waterproof and stand against weather – I drive all year round in any weather.
Thanks.

I used to do a fair bit of motorcycle commuting, and would wear work clothes under my Olympia Stealth suit (like an Aerostich), which meant I could dump the laptop in a detachable sidebag. Depending on your climate, this may work for you.

Last edited:

Omega

Reaction score
I used to wear my office clothing - shirt, tie, v-neck sweater, trousers - under my bike gear. However, my new employer requires me to wear suit all the time, so I cannot get away with a sweater.
My apologies for not explaining myself properly: I wonder how to carry/keep my gear in the office in a style (-ish). Motorcycle jacket, trousers, boots, helmet - it is quite a lot. I work in London, travel a lot and hence my gear is not clean enough to hang it with the clothes of other people, especially when it’s wet. At the moment, I’m using 80 litres sports bag, but I don't think my boss (company's owner at the same time) really likes it – a man wearing a suit and carrying a huge bag every day looks really … unusual to say the least.
Thanks.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on Cool Hunting today.
HHI-Pack-1-thumb-310x388-39694.jpg

Omega

Reaction score
This bag looks absolutely beautiful for biking. However, it is too small for me, I need something 2 -3 times larger. I also thought perhaps it should be on wheels otherwise it will look too odd in an office.
Thanks.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my mind the simple solution to this problem is to just leave a couple of suit combinations at the office. You already said you change once you get there right? I've ridden my share of miles on a bike and would never wear a baclpack while riding. If you have to get off the bike at speed that backpack will make the fall much worse. Another solution is saddlebags, but that could be tricky.

Omega

Reaction score
Thanks for advice – it was a bit off-topic (I wondered how to keep my bulky bike gear in the office during the day), but still you sent me in the right direction, i.e. keep something in the office. Yes, this is the answer - keep a wheeled bag or a suitcase in the office for my bike gear!
Could you give me a suggestion on a suitcase/bag? I want it to be narrow, on wheels, collapsible to a small size that I could hide it easily and about 50+ litres volume when expanded. It should also be of relatively fashionable brand that company’s partners did not think it was not stylish (they DO care about style and image of employees!), preferably with a good warranty (lifetime warranty is the best), but at the same time $100 top off ebay or a private sale.
Thanks

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not look for person to make you a custom bag made out of cotton duck. it sounds as if you want something particular enough that a custom bag will cost the same amount as one from a line.

Omega

Reaction score
I think custom bag will cost more...

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think custom bag will cost more...

ok i all i know is i have reasonable craftsmen do custom jobs for the same price of the something new. granted i have looked seeked a bag such as you are seeking but I have found searching well i can find leather goods and clothing for bespoke for the same price it cost to get off the rack. it might be worth it to investigate the chance

emptym

Reaction score
If you need a big bag that's collapsable and nice looking, I'd get something from Patagonia. Their stuff has a lifetime guarantee too. The normal duffles are around $100. The wheeled ones are more, but you might find some for cheap on eBay. They may still have ones w/ mesh panels for scuba-diving or surfing gear, or you could leave the bag unzipped -- I wouldn't want to store wet gear all day in a regular duffle bag. It'd still be wet for the ride home.

But I don't understand why you'd want to store your stuff in a bag at work, or why it would be visible to your bosses. You don't seem to need a bag while on the bike or for carrying your stuff from your bike to the office. If you had your own office, you could change in the office and hang your gear behind your door. So I'm guessing you change in a bathroom and want a bag to carry the gear from the bathroom to a cubicle where the bag will sit. Is that correct? If so, I guess a bag might be necessary.

But another option might be an empty file cabinet or just under your desk. I ride (just 20 miles a day) with a coat and tie under a motorcycle jacket (3/4 length) and pants. At work, I just stuff the pants in my helmet and put it on a file cabinet in my office, then hide the jacket under my desk.

Or, if you park in a garage and walk to work within a building or some sheltered space, you could wear your suit under your gear, take the gear off when you arrive at work, and stick it in hardcases on the bike. That wouldn't be great with wet gear either though.

Last edited:

Omega

Reaction score
Thank you. It looks like Patagonia is the choice - I like how it looks, I like how it sounds.
And sudden U-turn: my bike's engine did not take it and blew up... Now I got myself a scooter :D With plenty of storage and good fairing it is much less hassle to travel 170+ miles daily. However, I will look for Patagonia bag in London, it looks really nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics