• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptop suggestions for a developer

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a pretty tech savvy guy. Currently I am finishing up an Information Systems degree. I opted away from a windows machine because i wanted a more stable OS. For past few years i have been happy with my MacBookPro (i have 2, one for work and my own). However, I am at the point were i need a windows machine. I need to be able to code and develop on several platforms. I know i can use a virtual box and boot windows on a Mac but that just doesn't feel the same. Certain things just work better on Windows and certain things are better on Mac.

Here is the question if i wanted a fast Windows's based Laptop to develop on, what should i go for? I really like the specs of an i7 sony viao (15 - 17 in), several ASUS. I just want to get something that will not get outdated too quickly.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
**** I'm in about the same situation. My thoughts so far:

-This is an awful time to NEED a laptop. Most of the manu's haven't brought out their Sandy Bridge offerings at this point.

-I almost went in on a Dell XPS 15" with that gorgeous 1080p screen. Then I came to my senses and realized that it would be a poorly built ************* with awful tech support.

-Sadly, at this point, the best built machine with an i7 and Sandy Bridge really is the MacBook Pro. I might even be stupid enough to buy one at this point.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I am in undergrad and I plan on learning to code this summer. I do photoediting, lightroom and photoshop, and I am considering playing an online game possibly, thats a big maybe and most likely not going to happen. So I need a stable machine and I am leaning on a mac, so here are my questions:

I need to be able to do the following simultaneously and not have any issues, I need it to be fast, fast like college girls.

1. Read SF
2. Post on SF
3. Shop on BB, J.Crew, SF sales, and the bay
4. PM on SF
5. Photo editing
6. Always have lightroom up and running
7. learn/do something with the code I learn
8. have Adobe flash catalyst running\\
9. dreamweaver

so pretty basic stuff, can justify blowing 2200 on a top of the line 15 inch macbook pro or should I stick to the 1800 one? The main difference is HDD space (250 GB more one the $2200 one) and .2GHz faster and 1 GB of dedicated graphic memory, or whatever you call it. Whichever one I get is getting the high res. screen, so what do you guys think?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if macs were more open to tinkering or you can spare the cash i would go with a 128gb ssd and a 7200rpm lacie hard drive. firewire should more than cover storage needs

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CalTex
Well I am in undergrad and I plan on learning to code this summer. I do photoediting, lightroom and photoshop, and I am considering playing an online game possibly, thats a big maybe and most likely not going to happen. So I need a stable machine and I am leaning on a mac, so here are my questions: I need to be able to do the following simultaneously and not have any issues, I need it to be fast, fast like college girls. 1. Read SF 2. Post on SF 3. Shop on BB, J.Crew, SF sales, and the bay 4. PM on SF 5. Photo editing 6. Always have lightroom up and running 7. learn/do something with the code I learn 8. have Adobe flash catalyst running\\ 9. dreamweaver so pretty basic stuff, can justify blowing 2200 on a top of the line 15 inch macbook pro or should I stick to the 1800 one? The main difference is HDD space (250 GB more one the $2200 one) and .2GHz faster and 1 GB of dedicated graphic memory, or whatever you call it. Whichever one I get is getting the high res. screen, so what do you guys think?
I'd stick to the basic. You won't notice the processor difference. Buy an external HD and a nice monitor for the saved money.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
I am a pretty tech savvy guy. Currently I am finishing up an Information Systems degree. I opted away from a windows machine because i wanted a more stable OS. For past few years i have been happy with my MacBookPro (i have 2, one for work and my own). However, I am at the point were i need a windows machine. I need to be able to code and develop on several platforms. I know i can use a virtual box and boot windows on a Mac but that just doesn't feel the same. Certain things just work better on Windows and certain things are better on Mac.

Here is the question if i wanted a fast Windows's based Laptop to develop on, what should i go for? I really like the specs of an i7 sony viao (15 - 17 in), several ASUS. I just want to get something that will not get outdated too quickly.

You can get another Mac and not run Mac OS X on it. I believe you should be able to use rEFIt to boot windohz. Sort of an expensive way to do it, but I think it will work.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Why not go for a ThinkPad?
They have yet to release any of the really powerful computers with Sandy Bridge in them. The T, W, Y, and Z models have all yet to be released.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CalTex
Well I am in undergrad and I plan on learning to code this summer. I do photoediting, lightroom and photoshop, and I am considering playing an online game possibly, thats a big maybe and most likely not going to happen. So I need a stable machine and I am leaning on a mac, so here are my questions:

I need to be able to do the following simultaneously and not have any issues, I need it to be fast, fast like college girls.

1. Read SF
2. Post on SF
3. Shop on BB, J.Crew, SF sales, and the bay
4. PM on SF
5. Photo editing
6. Always have lightroom up and running
7. learn/do something with the code I learn
8. have Adobe flash catalyst running\\
9. dreamweaver

so pretty basic stuff, can justify blowing 2200 on a top of the line 15 inch macbook pro or should I stick to the 1800 one? The main difference is HDD space (250 GB more one the $2200 one) and .2GHz faster and 1 GB of dedicated graphic memory, or whatever you call it. Whichever one I get is getting the high res. screen, so what do you guys think?

If I am correct, you seem like you will need a lot of graphic processing power, if that is the case go for the top line one because the graphic card goes from 256 to 1gig, and that will make a difference. There is also the peace of mind of making it obsolete proof. However, i do agree on the hard drive part, get a smaller one, store essentials and buy extra external storage, its way cheapre. Plus lots of cloud based things are coming you may not need as much storage.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Guys LMAO, Thanks for the suggestions to buy a MBP, but i already have 2 of them (and mentioned it), i need a windows machine. So far we all agree that MBP is great :). But if you were to choose a close comparison what would it be?
Actually, as I mentioned, the MBP is a crappy computer. It is, unfortunately, the best built laptop at the moment. There really are no competitors at the moment. There probably won't be until late April early May.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Actually, as I mentioned, the MBP is a crappy computer. It is, unfortunately, the best built laptop at the moment. There really are no competitors at the moment. There probably won't be until late April early May.

I disagree, I think MBP is one for the best computing machines out there. I assume you like it hardware wise.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I disagree, I think MBP is one for the best computing machines out there. I assume you like it hardware wise.
Well, its underpowered and overpriced, but there is absolutely no denying that they've built a fantastic laptop. Slim, extra long battery life, solid hardware, etc. The ****** gets pricey though when you start adding in the extras like the upgraded screen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads