• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lanvin ties - range of quality?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my brief time reading SF, I've gathered that Lanvin has a pretty reputable name, so I've kept an eye out while thrifting. I bought one Lanvin tie for $5, mostly for the name, as it's not my favorite colors. It's okay, but nothing amazing. I bought another one off Ebay for a bit more, and it's nicer, but has their logo on the front, which I don't like. Then I saw a really crappy beat up one at Goodwill, and it still had an original price tag listing it at <$20 - which seems cheap for a new, quality tie, even for 20 years ago.

So can anyone tell me if Lanvin is known for going through phases of varying quality?
Thanks.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
photo examples: The silver/black one is thicker and weightier than the rust/burgundy one.
DSCF1623.jpg
DSCF1618.jpg

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one Lanvin tie that is about 10-12 years old and the silk is very nice and is still in great shape.

I have no idea about their history.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $20 or under, you cant go too far wrong. Lanvin went through a phase where a lot of their merchandice was manufactured under license (mainly in far east) and ended up in the cheap section of many department stores. Kinda like with YSL before they became more of a boutique label - a ying and yang mix of high end and lower end. I have a few ties, a couple of more recent purchases, and a few from way back in the mid 90's. Both are good to go.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, all.
I guess the conclusion is (as always) "if you like it, it's a good garment."

Jangofett

Reaction score
Lanvin is one of those confusing brands which you must know exactly what you are buying like Balmain or Balenciaga. Some of their stuff is crap and not worth $10 but some are worth hundreds, new or used.

So you got to examine Lanvin products on-line and in person very closely, to know what lineage is it.

For Lanvin, there is the Lucas Ossendjiver (sic) stuff, which can come in pretty funky mode. I have got one tie which is in wool I think and it ends with metal chainmail (serious!). I dont even wear ties but I loved it so much, I got it. The rest comes in thin wool and I have seen one in thin kangaroo leather. I think there's one which ends in translucent plastic.

As usual, these designs will trickle down to their lower range. Some of the 15 Fauborg stuff are also similar.

Going down, their mainline is more traditional and it is seldom mentioned they even have 7 fold ties. I have seen one on ebay go for quite a good price and I wonder whether other ignorant sellers who do not know what is a 7 fold tie, sold their 7 fold tie on ebay for like $20.

The rest of their ties look good and are expensive but really nothing spectacular unless you like their print. So sort of in the Gucci, Prada range and style. Lanvin is still marketed to the businessman type. So I see wives or gf or mistresses buying these ties for their men. They usually stick to this range and not the other more funkier styles.

I won't be surprised if their Acne collaboration result in some funky denim ties, which adds to the confusion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads