• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guidance on cloth choices for white tie, please — swatches incoming!

Shedlock2000

Reaction score
I’m ordering white tie tails for a convocation in the coming year.

I’ve been to my tailors today to select the material for the tailcoat, waistcoat, and trousers. I’m stuck on the material for the tailcoat and pants and I’m looking for some thoughts.

The first swatch is a 12oz fine twill in midnight blue, English wool. It’s paired with a 12oz pick and pick waistcoat cloth and a black grossgrain for the lapel.

ED773266-ECC7-4C22-AEAF-AFA675495DAE.jpeg

The second is an even darker midnight blue, 10oz pick and pick weave, English wool. This feels heavier due to the weave, but is a lighter cloth.

840EE1AD-3A6D-44D5-8AB6-5095A670CE23.jpeg

The first one has a slight ashy-grey due to the Sheen on the cloth and, against the gross grain, looks a little bluer. The pick and pick is much flatter and appears almost black (though there is a clear distinction in the daylight).

Which do you think is a better fit for white tie tails? I am a little grey around the hills these days, so the ashier blue suits my complexion more — but I worry that the midnight blue is a bit too light and the material has a lack of weight to it, given the finer weave.

Here’s Me for reference:

430C3644-9216-4D05-8D21-66EE0E9ACD53.jpeg

Reaction score
The 10oz wool sounds best, you want to to look as black as possible. For that exact reason, I would choose a black fabric, just so that I always look black, but in todays world midnight blue is totally fine and if you like it better than the black fabrics, you should go with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads