• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton ties 500 Euro in Moscow - can anyone confirm?

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just heard from someone who occasionally works in Moscow that the 4 local Kiton shops sell ties for an equivalent of 500 Euro. I know Moscow is a special place but this still seems weird. Can anyone who goes or lives there maybe confirm this?

kcc

Reaction score
Personally, I can't verify this, but if it is the price is unjustified even if the finest micron fabrics are used. I spoke with Neiman's Kiton rep. who said the company's future plans are to only use 14-micron fabrics. Can't wait to hear the astronomical prices.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no idea about the ties, but I do remembering being more than a little surprised when reading an article that said Moscow has replaced Tokyo as the most expensive city in the world. Quite surprising, but not given how much "new cash" is floating around there...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am willing to believe that Russians would pay that

likeitaloud

Reaction score
It's moscow. PERIOD. I used to live in different parts of Russia including moscow and I can assure you that there will be people who can afford it for two simple reasons.

1. Moscow is the most expensive city in the world (and the rest of Russia is slum..but shhh Moscow is a very good representation of typical russian life...)

2. Upper middle class Russians will easily spend completely unreasonable amount of money for the best clothes just because they have to show they can (even if they can't.)

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Soviet Russia, Kiton ties YOU!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I am willing to believe that Russians would pay that

Only if it has "KITON" plastered all over the tie.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd believe that.

It happens with wristwatches too. Who do you think consumes all the leapord Daytonas that Rolex produces? Many of the US$500K + watches (with not a single diamond in sight) sell in Russia.

But let's be honest, they aren't the ones nationalising their banks. They just shut down the markets completely until the whole thing blows over. Gotta love that!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
I'd believe that.

It happens with wristwatches too. Who do you think consumes all the leapord Daytonas that Rolex produces? Many of the US$500K + watches (with not a single diamond in sight) sell in Russia.

But let's be honest, they aren't the ones nationalising their banks. They just shut down the markets completely until the whole thing blows over. Gotta love that!

Well, when I looked into Putin's eyes, I saw THREE letters: I... W... C.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Well, when I looked into Putin's eyes, I saw THREE letters: I... W... C.

LOL He is a big Breguet fan. Compared to other world leader's I think he is one of the few that sports very expensive haute horlogerie piece. Unlike in other other countries where tax payers would problably decry such a practice and leaders need to show that they are in touch with Joe Average and be "every man", I think in Russia that only gains the respect of those you attempt to lead. Isn't that as capitalistic as capitalism get?

Oh of course there's that French politician who blew a wad of cash on Berluti shoes and his mistress.

Gaz

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
LOL He is a big Breguet fan. Compared to other world leader's I think he is one of the few that sports very expensive haute horlogerie piece. Unlike in other other countries where tax payers would problably decry such a practice and leaders need to show that they are in touch with Joe Average and be "every man", I think in Russia that only gains the respect of those you attempt to lead. Isn't that as capitalistic as capitalism get?

Oh of course there's that French politician who blew a wad of cash on Berluti shoes and his mistress.

Gaz

One of Putin's Breguets:

putin.jpg

Patek 3940 perpetual calendar:

putin%20watch.jpg

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am aware that some Russians like to spend a lot of money. I am also aware of "I seel the most expensive" shops all over the world (ie Bijan, Zilli, Avi Rossini) but a tie that is available for 100 Euros in almost every other European city? I am still waiting for confirmation from someone who has seen the 17.000 Rubel price tag on a Kiton tie.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
No way. I mean, this is just stupid. If that were true, you don't think there would be a lumbering caravan of Transits, weighed down by thousands of Kiton ties, crossing the Neman at this very moment? The arbitrage opportunities would be too easy to exploit. In a planned economy, maybe...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads