• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kitchen knife Appreciation

jleeo225

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Is there any real advantage to a ceramic knife? I've never owned one. Seems like the tips would break easily and the edges would knick easily.

I own a ceramic chef's knife and paring knife. My wife dropped the chef's knife. Luckily in didn't break, but the drop did chip the tip.

totally epic

Reaction score
Just the basics.

15fq6tj.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an 8-inch chef's knife and a paring knife that I've been enjoying from the Wusthof Grand Prix line, but the knife I've been lusting for is this santoku designed by Ken Onion for Shun:

10983.jpg

I've been holding off on buying it partly because I don't feel that my current skill set justifies the expense. Guess it will be an incentive to get better in the kitchen.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p21778880001pm1.jpg

Picked up this Hiroo Itou stainless steel slicing knife a few weeks ago; promised a review.

First, the blade truly is stunningly beautiful. I much prefer this style of Damascus with a free, water-flowing (li, if you will) pattern than the island-like patterns of the Hattori KDs. It's epic patterning. The buffalo horn handle has good varigation and color ( a nice steel grey), the tapered tang is beautiful, and I like the white linings on either side of the blade under the handle scales. It also cuts better than any knife I have ever used. Ergonomically, it's comfortable for a slicer, but wouldn't work well in chef's knife mode. My only complaint is with the finish -- as a custom knife collector I may have a tad higher standards than most, but I see residual grit marks in the horn (what happens if you progress too fast through the grits) and also in the pins (it's harder to avoid in the pins but not impossible).

The knife was $395 -- was it worth it? Absolutely yes. It would not be a bargain at twice the price, but the bladework is superb, and would cost in the double price range were I to see it at the east coast custom knife show next weekend in NYC.

I would like two more Itous -- a Gyoto, and a paring knife, and I'll try and pickup another when they are available again.

Overall -- great knife, but I don't quite feel the need to bow to it as I take it out of it's case.

~ Huntsman

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Picked up this Hiroo Itou stainless steel slicing knife a few weeks ago; promised a review.

Overall -- great knife, but I don't quite feel the need to bow to it as I take it out of it's case.

~ Huntsman

Nice knife. I think these knives are beautiful to look at, but I'd almost be afraid of using it. I bought a similarly style knife (albeit much cheaper version) some months ago. The first two days I used it, I cut myself twice. I'm scared a little every time I handle that knife now--although it's an absolute pleasure to cut with.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaning it is what really scares me! I am a little scared of it during use,; but view it as a challenge.

~Huntsman

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
p21778880001pm1.jpg

First, the blade truly is stunningly beautiful. I much prefer this style of Damascus with a free, water-flowing (li, if you will) pattern than the island-like patterns of the Hattori KDs. It's epic patterning. The buffalo horn handle has good varigation and color ( a nice steel grey), the tapered tang is beautiful, and I like the white linings on either side of the blade under the handle scales. It also cuts better than any knife I have ever used. Ergonomically, it's comfortable for a slicer, but wouldn't work well in chef's knife mode. My only complaint is with the finish -- as a custom knife collector I may have a tad higher standards than most, but I see residual grit marks in the horn (what happens if you progress too fast through the grits) and also in the pins (it's harder to avoid in the pins but not impossible).

The knife was $395 -- was it worth it? Absolutely yes. It would not be a bargain at twice the price, but the bladework is superb, and would cost in the double price range were I to see it at the east coast custom knife show next weekend in NYC.

I would like two more Itous -- a Gyoto, and a paring knife, and I'll try and pickup another when they are available again.

~ Huntsman

Very nice! Can I ask where you got it? (I'm assuming you have a good source since it would cost double if it were at a knife show. Did you order directly from Japan?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You for the review. To Mr. Ninja
smile.gif
I believe Mr. Huntsman purchased the knife from Japan, specifically www.japanesechefknife.com A highly regraded merchant selling excellent Japanese knives at several price levels.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dmax called it, amerika -- JCK provided superb customer service.

My comments on the price don't come from any deal-making ability on my part, just from my judgement of what it would cost were I to see it on a table at a top flight show.

~ Huntsman

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I've recently supplemented my two Henckels five star (tomato/sandwich and santoku) with four Shun classic knives. I must say I love the Shuns - they work well and look beautiful. I had yet to get their bread knife and utility knife when I took the shot below.
knives.jpg

blackgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by totally epic
Just the basics.

15fq6tj.jpg

Don't you worry about dulling your knives by using the magnetic strip?
I would think it would be hard on the blades but I could be wrong....

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mxmlitvinov
I've recently supplemented my two Henckels five star (tomato/sandwich and santoku) with four Shun classic knives. I must say I love the Shuns - they work well and look beautiful. I had yet to get their bread knife and utility knife when I took the shot below.

knives.jpg

Solid choices. Do you like the Shuns better than the Henckels?

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackgrass
Don't you worry about dulling your knives by using the magnetic strip?
I would think it would be hard on the blades but I could be wrong....

You have to twist the edge away from the strip when you pull off a knife, other than that, the knives arent rubbing against the strip and alot of them have the soft, magnetic material raised above the metal so that anything that contacts the edge really isnt harmfull

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I'm not sure I can make a valid Shun vs Henckels comparison seeing as I haven't used them that much yet and I also don't really own similar knives in both so can't do a straight comparison.

Having said that, the Shuns feel sharp and professional, while the Henckels feel 'cosy'. The Shun nakiri, for instance, is so sharp with a finer blade that it is simultaneously a blessing - getting through food easily - and a curse - getting a bit stuck on my wooden chopping board as it leaves marks. The Shun handle seems to predispose you to holding the knife 'properly' (a bit loosely, a tad like holding a violin bow), while the Henckels handles and you tend to want to wrap your hand around them a bit more - which feels safer, but I believe is not as effective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads