• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping old etiquette rules alive

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I will be honest. I have a hard time treating the standard young chippie with the same respect I would people 35 and older. Door holding, for instance. I've had too many young chippies let doors slam in my face for me to hold one for them. Totally self-absorbed people on their cell phones, sipping Starbucks, and coo'ing to their purse doggies get squat from me. /old man rant

As far as old etiquette in good company? Yes, all of that.

Good point. Sometimes I'll hold it for someone who happens to be 30ft away. I stand and wait. Most of the time the older set smiles and says "thank you!" but the younger ones sometimes act as though they're somehow entitled to it

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Good point.

Sometimes I'll hold it for someone who happens to be 30ft away. I stand and wait. Most of the time the older set smiles and says "thank you!" but the younger ones sometimes act as though they're somehow entitled to it

You're not supposed to...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You're not supposed to...
Not supposed to hold it? Perhaps My mother wouldn't be pleased if she knew I saw a lady get out of her car with bags and didn't hold the door for her. Even one 30ft away. Most of the time it's appreciated so I don't mind the ungrateful ones...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Not supposed to hold it? Perhaps

My mother wouldn't be pleased if she knew I saw a lady get out of her car with bags and didn't hold the door for her. Even one 30ft away. Most of the time it's appreciated so I don't mind the ungrateful ones...

Look, it's nice that you've looked at etiquette rules over the internet and then tried to catch back your mistake by adding some grocery bag bullshit but that's not how it works.

If she has bags and you're near her you're supposed to offer to carry them
If she's 30 feet away you don't creepily wait there holding the door unless you know her

Hell I don't bother with most old etiquette rules but I didn't learn them yesterday and now pretend I apply them when posting on Gentforum. I bet you use a knife when eating salad.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, it's nice that you've looked at etiquette rules over the internet and then tried to catch back your mistake by adding some grocery bag bullshit but that's not how it works.

If she has bags and you're near her you're supposed to offer to carry them
If she's 30 feet away you don't creepily wait there holding the door unless you know her

Hell I don't bother with most old etiquette rules but I didn't learn them yesterday and now pretend I apply them when posting on Gentforum. I bet you use a knife when eating salad.

I don't even know what you're talking about. lol I'll hold a door for someone I notice heading towards it. Bags or not. Just the way I am. I don't spend time thinking about it. I'm fairly certain doing it goes against whatever "rules" you speak of

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet you use a knife when eating salad.

i eat most salads with my fingers ... oddly enough, that is in the etiquette manuals, too.

haiguise

Reaction score
The only thing I do is open doors and pretend to protect women when walking them to their car/apt from my place at night.... but standing up for women at tables, walking street side always... that's pretentious contrived BS. No need to treat women like they're worth so much more than you. Opening car doors seems to make some ladies weak in the knees, so whatever works in your relationship.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haiguise
The only thing I do is open doors and pretend to protect women when walking them to their car/apt from my place at night.... but standing up for women at tables, walking street side always... that's pretentious contrived BS. No need to treat women like they're worth so much more than you. Opening car doors seems to make some ladies weak in the knees, so whatever works in your relationship.

who says chivalry is dead?

ma1

Reaction score
Chivalry is a stupid concept and unless you're dating golddiggers or 19 year olds with uggs it's ******* offensive.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
Chivalry is a stupid concept and unless you're dating golddiggers or 19 year olds with uggs it's ******* offensive.
Yes. I prefer dragging my woman by the hair. It makes her feel like a man.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
agreed. i tell my woman not to shave her pits, shower so much, spend time on her hair, put on makeup or smell nice too. it's degrading to womanzkind.

w.mj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Walking street side?

"True; and therefore women, being the weaker vessels, are ever thrust to the wall: therefore I will push Montague's men from the wall, and thrust his maids to the wall."

Good to know that human nature doesn't change; Bill had the same mix of tawdriness and chivalry that appears in this thread all figured out 400 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads