• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Justifying Tan Sports Jacket

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know we're quite a few months away, but I've been thinking about what I'm going to buy next spring and I thought I'd just let it out here.

I live in London. I'm going to have a certain amount of money to spend on an item or two in around March/April. For the longest time, I've been wanting to buy this tan sports jacket: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jackets/jort-light-brown-plain-jacket/C1242.html?cgid=Jackets . I'd wear it almost exclusively with navy chinos and slim-straight dark-blue jeans, together with either (a) casual striped/houndstooth blue/white dress shirts, or (b) solid blue/white dress shirts (the latter would be /w the chinos). Shoes would be either dark brown chelseas or double-monks. Wearing them with white chinos in the summer could be an option, though I'm not sure whether I would like that as much.

I know that I would definitely like the look, but 2 questions have been starting to creep up on me:

Firstly, I'm starting to think that tan isn't a very good evening-wear colour, and a lot of the times I was imagining wearing this would be at night-time on weeknights. If my hunch is correct though, I don't really know how versatile this is going to be on paper outside of the very occasional weekend day-event. What do you guys think?

Secondly, my wardrobe is by no means complete (not that it'll ever be, but you know what I mean); my only light coat during the warmer months is coloured (purplish) navy, and I've always wanted to get either a green barbour (beaufort) or a tan overcoat to wear over these blue trousers during the spring transition. Aside from royal blue (cotton), I also don't have any non-wool sports coats yet (so no navy or light-grey linen yet, for instance). Also, I can afford it, but that's A LOT of money for me to be spending on a non-overcoat piece of clothing, and I'm wondering if spending so much on this sports jacket - especially with the versatility issue raised above - makes it worth it this time around. It's not that I'll never get the chance to make those other upgrades again in the future, but I'm wondering if I could purchase something of better value.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion! The full profile unfortunately isn't loading for me ('unfortunately, this item will not be out of stock'), but I'm assuming you meant something like this: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jac...n-jacket/C1218.html?cgid=Jackets&oosPid=C1106 . That's a good one, though in my opinion it looks like it's trying to be both a grey and a brown at the same time. I honestly think you have to see those kinds of colours in person.

But I do agree with your point about texturing. How about this one? https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jackets/havana-light-brown-check-jacket/C1205.html?cgid=Jackets . I think it looks much more interesting. It's also a blend, which I think adds to the appeal.

Last edited:

caktaylor

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion! The full profile unfortunately isn't loading for me ('unfortunately, this item will not be out of stock'), but I'm assuming you meant something like this: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jac...n-jacket/C1218.html?cgid=Jackets&oosPid=C1106 . That's a good one, though in my opinion it looks like it's trying to be both a grey and a brown at the same time. I honestly think you have to see those kinds of colours in person.

But I do agree with your point about texturing. How about this one? https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jackets/havana-light-brown-check-jacket/C1205.html?cgid=Jackets . I think it looks much more interesting. It's also a blend, which I think adds to the appeal.

The wool-silk-linen blend jacket will probably drape and hold its shape better than the pure linen jacket.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far! I also had another question. I'd have to physically check them out myself, but I don't think tan really suit my skin tone too well. I'm therefore wondering; what are some other alternatives out there that could be paired with both (dark) jeans and navy chinos? Perhaps sky blue, though that wouldn't work together with light blue shirts of any kind. Maybe olive, though I'm not sure how versatile that would be either, and I don't know how 'summery' that is. Maybe a light grey? I'm guessing that might also be difficult to pair. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm curious if any of you know of any alternatives to suitsupply that operate in the UK? I think a very light khaki/cream-coloured blazer *might* suit me, but suitsupply just don't offer it at a price I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads