• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just started a new job, just got a call from a job I want more. Help!

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I was recently laid off from my job. Given the short period of time I had, plus severance, I decided to take a commission based job in my field. its something that I think I 'could' do well at, but it can take a while to make money. It definately wasnt my first choice, not having a steady salary basically means no getting married, no having kids, and no buying house/car/vacation - all things that at almost 30, I am envisioning. Plus its a lot of work for maybe not a ton of reward.. That said, its a good group of guys who really believe in me and think I will be sucessful. the challenge is that you really need to comit to it and put in time. No working it for 6 months then leaving.

So I started officially monday. Yesterday I got a call from a recruiter saying that basically a job I would be super qualified for, and very interested in doing just opened up. Paying me more than I would ever have made before, with travel, etc.. Really kind of a good fit for what I like to do. My problem is, that since I just started (and granted I am not 100% convinced I want to do the comission job), what should I do?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quit now. They won't be pleased with you, but it's better to quit now before they've sunk a ton of time into training you and while they still have other resumes warm. I'd tell them you were thinking of them in quitting so fast - you didn't want to be a year down the road and having regrets or doubts, and they'll just have to get over it.

Just be sure that the other job is in fact what you really want. If it is, I say go for it.

FWIW I am an employer and this is what I would want one of my employees to do.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Douglas is right. Quit now before they invest more in you.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interview for that other job. If you get a firm offer, I suspect the decision will be fairly easy for you to make. Until you get that offer, I wouldn't overthink it too much - and I would certainly not quit your current position now.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Interview for that other job. If you get a firm offer, I suspect the decision will be fairly easy for you to make. Until you get that offer, I wouldn't overthink it too much - and I would certainly not drop your current position.

Thats the truth. I am just (because this is who I am) going to stress and agonize over it. If I did get it, I would probably just have to stroke them a check to cover my expenses. There is actaully a possibility given what the position is to funnel some work back to the guys I am with now, which definatley makes up for everything.

There is a bit of a longer story than this, where the guys I work for now offered me a seat (shouldnt call it a job, its commission based as an independant contractor), last year and I turned them down. If I bail on them now, I should probably never speak to them again unless I dump a ton of business on thier laps.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
There is a bit of a longer story than this, where the guys I work for now offered me a seat (shouldnt call it a job, its commission based as an independant contractor), last year and I turned them down. If I bail on them now, I should probably never speak to them again unless I dump a ton of business on thier laps.

Do what's best for you - they'll take care of their own interests... In fact, they already are since they're not paying you any fixed compensation to work for them - in my book, no retainer, no retention.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
congratulatons on both jobs. quit and take the better offer while it is ok right now as everyone stated. you may even explain to them the details of what just happened and your current situations, theyre humans too, if theyre sensible they will understand and hopefullly no bridges burned and perhaps a reference made for the future. good luck.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, its commision based, they need to know the risks of offering a job like that. apply for the other job and if you get it, quit.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Exactly. If things 'aren't working out' from their standpoint would they hesitate to let you go? It's always easier to find a job when you have a job. Just don't quit until you have the other firmly in hand.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Do what's best for you - they'll take care of their own interests... In fact, they already are since they're not paying you any fixed compensation to work for them - in my book, no retainer, no retention.
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Exactly. If things 'aren't working out' from their standpoint would they hesitate to let you go? It's always easier to find a job when you have a job. Just don't quit until you have the other firmly in hand.
Yes. In the end, what your employer wants is effectively the opposite of what you want, so I wouldn't concern myself with it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with everybody, particulary the points that (1.) you really need to take care of yourself, and (2.) quitting now allows them to go back to their applicant pool and make other offers. I don't know your industry, but I'm betting that whatever it is, these commission positions are fairly high turnover. This can't be the first time this has happened to them, assuming they've been around for more than a year or two.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No point adding on, you know what to do. This isnt a tough choice.

(I think this is the only thread Ive read on here where the question was answered completely)

Good luck, broski.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comission-based jobs have a naturally high drop-out rate, and frankly, in this economy, it is a no-brainer which way to go, if given a choice.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Comission-based jobs have a naturally high drop-out rate, and frankly, in this economy, it is a no-brainer which way to go, if given a choice.

+ a billion.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Don't quit your job 'til you get the new one.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads