• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just launched the new website for my seven fold tie collection, what do you think?

R-H

Reaction score
As others have said, you need better pictures.

When I buy ties online I want to see at least one good closeup of each tie laid out on a white background. Not rolled or splayed out. I just want to get an idea how it looks if it was hanging straight from my neck.

Nice looking ties BTW.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
here's a grammar mistake i found when reading the description:

also, you might want to change "dark brown" to "mahogany" or "hickory" or whatever wood you're using, it sounds a lot more sophisticated than saying plain "dark brown."

good luck, and your ties look great, although the prices are a bit high!

Just to add my 2c, "limited amount" should be "limited number." Single and separate items do not come in amounts, but in numbers. Amounts would only apply to more homogenous substances or mixtures, i.e. rice, milk, sand, dirt, lemonade etc. Best, Larry.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A bit too wide for 1024 resolution. I think it's best to design for that. I have a 1920x1280 monitor but I keep my browser windows open at 1024x1024.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like there's been lots of good feedback here, and it's great you're willing to consider and adjust appropriately. I really have only one critical comment, and that is to change the names from simple color names to names that are more evocative of senses, like "burnt umber," "jewel blue," or whatever.

I really like the patterns/colors. The circles, I think, are very cool.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, Charles Alexander is VERY lucky to have you guys critique the website. This will save him a lot of time and trial and error that would result in lost business.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Just to add to the constructive criticism:

The copy on the About Us page is bad - really, really bad. It reads terribly, is confusing and badly laid out. It needs to be fixed up and expanded. The copy on your site is what will sell your brand, especially at your price point.

The website design looks cheap. You are selling the idea of luxury and exclusivity but nothing about the site conveys this - it just looks like some guy trying to flog expensive ties on the net. The home page, the first page a visitor sees, should not be the online store. I'd hire a competent designer.

All just IMO of course.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
A bit too wide for 1024 resolution. I think it's best to design for that. I have a 1920x1280 monitor but I keep my browser windows open at 1024x1024.
This is really funny to read because I remember when I started doing web-related crap (windows 3.1 era) everything was designed for 800x600. Add to the fact that I'm 21 and it's crazy to see just how fast technology is evolving. I actually kind of dug the site. I just screwed around for about 2 minutes looking at the pretty butterfly pattern, but it seemed easy enough to get around which is my main concern. (an expensive site with a lot of flash, streamers, etc. is useless if I can't find where to go. I'll leave almost immediately when that happens.) On average people spend something like 10 seconds per page, and in my 10 seconds I saw all the ties on the page and said "oooh I kinda like that" a couple of times. For that reason I think it's fine and with some refinement could be really good. (though grammar errors are a no-no if you're selling, well, anything. I was just looking @ pictures so take it with a grain of salt.) I agree that it would be nice to have something detailing the differences in ties, because in all honesty I have no idea about the differences. I'm in college and broke so for now it doesn't matter, but it's always a good idea to operate on the lowest common denominator. I also agree that the shopping cart and account would be much better placed in the top with a drop down. I noticed that you had charlesalexanderny.com and I like it better (much easier to remember). I think charlesalexandernewyork.com would be good to pick up as well. Good luck!

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That centered logo looks great.
smile.gif

Every tie comes in a handsome mahogany wooden case.
I am just nitpicking, but that seems a little redundant. "Handsome mahogany display case" or just "handsome mahogany case" I think would read better.
Due to the amount of silk needed to make each seven fold, there will only be a limited amount (no more than 12) of this style being made.
"there will only be a limited amount (no more than 12) of this style made." sounds better. or even "there will only be a limited amount of this style made. "

Handmade by skilled tailors here in New York with over a yard of pure high quality silk imported from Italy, this is a true seven fold necktie untipped and no artificial wool lining.
I think it would read better as "Handmade by skilled tailors in New York utilizing over a yard of pure Italian silk, this is a true seven fold necktie that is untipped and unlined."

The silk itself is meticulously folded upon itself to create the tie's thickness.
This is redundant. "The silk is meticulously folded upon itself..."

banner7.gif

I like that it does not say exclusive anymore but I am still not a fan of this banner. The general description should be in the item description, not in the banner. You could tweak the banner a little and use it as an advertising banner on sites such as this however!

And as for the photographs of the ties, I agree there should be more. Get yourself a white cloth laundry basket (the kind that is self-supported with a stitched in wire frame). You can find these at Target. Get one with a decent size opening. Place the it on a table with the opening facing you and put two decently bright lamps facing directly on each side of the basket. Now you have a pretty well lit "studio" in which to photograph your ties. Camera stores sell something similar but this is much cheaper.

Make sure your pictures are sharp so customers can see the details. If you can't read the label on the tie well, the pictures are not sharp enough. Although I would be happy to photograph your ties if you provide a sample of each for me.
tounge.gif

Lastly, the about section:

I agree with another poster that it does not read well and does not convey the sense of high end luxury that I believe you are going for.

The seven fold tie is the world's most luxurious tie, Rolls-Royce of neck wear, tie of all ties. The construction of a seven fold tie can only be crafted by the hand of a skilled tailor, this craft almost died out during the austerity of the Great Depression and World War II. The seven fold tie is made out of 3 times more silk than your normal silk ties. Over a full yard of silk is folded in upon itself seven times to achieve its shape and heft. The tie is then closed with the usual slip stitch and bar tack. A lot of craftsmanship goes into these ties. The difference between a seven fold tie and your average tie can be seen by looking at the back of the tie. The folds of a seven fold tie can be seen when the tip of the tie is opened up as opposed to inferior cotton lining in your normal silk tie. The construction of a seven fold tie is 100% silk, no lining. This all makes for a beautiful knot. Our seven folds are not just neckties, they are a work of art.
I think something like this would be better: "The seven fold tie is the world's most luxurious tie. Only a skilled tailor can craft a seven fold tie. Over a full yard of silk--three times that of a regular silk tie--is folded upon itself seven times to achieve the shape and heft. The tie is then closed with a slip stitch and bar tack.

One may distinguish a seven fold tie from a regular tie by looking at the reverse side or opening the tip. A standard tie is lined with cotton while a seven fold tie is unlined. An unlined seven fold tie will result in a more beautiful knot.

Charles Alexander neckties are not just a tie, but a work of art."

And generally an "about us" section is about the designer or the company, not the product.
wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, your site is excellent. These are just things I would change.
smile.gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
I just left this same suggestion on one of your other threads.

It would be great if your website listed the names of all the colors on each tie.

Many times I have been fooled by a computer monitor into thinking pink was red or light green was cream, etc.

Good luck!

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
I am just nitpicking, but that seems a little redundant. "Handsome mahogany display case" or just "handsome mahogany case" I think would read better.
Actually, is the case made of solid wood? If so, it would be good to mention it. "Each tie comes in a wood case made of solid (or genuine) mahogany" may be necessary to distinguish it from a case made of some other cheap material, but colored mahogany.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyones feedback.

I will change some of the wording tonight, I think you guys are right about being more detailed for each design. The about us section, I actually deleted, I will double check that. It shouldn't be showing up.

One thing I probably won't change too much is the overall layout of the site. I hear what everyone is saying about being more fancy, but I want the focus to be on the ties. I want to push myself to get the best quality eye catching silks possible, I want the art of the website to center around my silk.

I will also take some more pictures tonight of the tie draped, and maybe also on a white dress shirt. I agree completely that needs to happen.

I welcome everyone's criticism. I believe in my seven folds and want to make everything as top notch as possible while trying staying true to want I feel is best for my company.

As for the price, Kiton and the companies mentioned do not make true seven folds. True seven fold usually start at 250 and up. I think $150 is very competitive.

Edit: yes, they are solid wood. I will mention that, thanks.

penguin vic

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see someone who believes in himself and is also so open to feedback. I'm sure you'll do very well!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Others have found nits and bugs worth noting. The site seems easy to use overall, and the photos are good. Good luck with the venture.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
It's refreshing to see someone who believes in himself and is also so open to feedback. I'm sure you'll do very well!

I welcome the feedback! Anything I want to do everything I can do to help improve my business. Anyone who thinks they know it all, is a fool. I love what I am doing, it is a dream. I know I have a great product and I believe in it. At this point in my life I am all about my ties and my silk. Any advice to help get them out there, I welcome. The fact that people are taking the time to read my post, visit my site, and write detailed criticisms show that they care. I cannot be unhappy about that. If they didn't care, they wouldn't bother. I've gotten a lot of sales, kind words and helpful advice from this board, I think it is a fantastic resource.

I've actually gone ahead and made the product descriptions more descriptive to each tie. As per some people's suggestion. I've also plagiarized 330's post.
smile.gif

As for the pictures, I will post some more detailed ones probably tomorrow. I agree with the pictures suggestions also.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
All things considered I think you're off to a fine start. And you are getting some good and useful feedback. Lots of good suggestions. I like the many of the comments from 330CK, particularly the last part where he offers specifics about improving the description of the 7-fold tie. To that end, as you develop the site and other future marketing materials, I'd like to suggest that you keep your focus on the fact that you have "a unique selling proposition." And it's that proposition that is essentially defining your business. It's amazing how few businesses, regardless of product, lose sight of why their customers should come to them rather than the go to their competition (and that includes the "professionals" such as doctors and lawyers). That question, and its answer, should be something that all businesses review on a regular basis (because it's subject to changes, most of them subtle), and because it keeps them focused on their message, not only to customers and potential customers, but it keeps all the internal folks focused as well. The answer should be distilled down to its simplest terms, and that becomes the basis for most of your marketing, and other business activities. With the high quality, limited edition, custom designed, 7-fold ties... you've got yourself a good story to tell. It's a story that few others can tell. Marketing and ad guys love it when get a client with a good story. Makes our job a lot easier. The more your customers perceive and believe, that they can only get ties of this quality and beauty from you, then price will never be a problem. You can pretty much conduct your business on your own terms. If you keep focused on that story and put it out there with great images and copy, eventually your message is going to get through and you'll begin to develop a loyal following. Stay on message. On the website I'd like to see that story played up a lot more... A seperate category that basically asks "Why a 7-fold?" and "Why my 7-folds?" (aka "Why you should buy from me."). Perhaps some step-by-step pics of your 7-fold tie construction could be useful here, with call outs to the various features (aka selling points). They'll educate and help to further your story. This section is the place (the only place) to show that image of the reversed, opened tie, that's showing those seven folds. I can see no benefit to repeating that image under each and every 7-fold tie. Once you've educated your customer about 7-folds they'll "get it" and you won't need to repeat it. Showing that image over and over is not only redundant, and a less than flattering view of the tie, it begins to become almost condescending. Your target customer obviously has money...so it's probably safe to assume he has intelligence. As you make your changes to the site, and as you expand your business and its marketing, you should never lose sight of that question (the one that's worth repeating every day that you're in business) "Why should someone come to me rather than go anywhere else." Just looked at the clock. It's really late...and I've probably gone on a whole lot longer than I should... Time for me to catch some Zzzzz's. Looking forward to watching this "unfold."
wink.gif
Dennis

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads