• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Junkard Boots

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like #1 but that's me. I had something similar before and liked the look.

I am starting to lean that way - going to see if they can add more eyelets to Number 1 ...also I have to find a few more images of the toe - I think it was a bit pointy.

lupintheth3rd

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering a shell boot on the 2089 last. I'm a 10D US, 28 cm long foot, and a 9 in viberg's 2030 last. I was told by junkard that I should get a size 42 EU, but according to the size chart I should get a 43 EU. Thoughts on sizing?

Shalomp

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering a shell boot on the 2089 last. I'm a 10D US, 28 cm long foot, and a 9 in viberg's 2030 last. I was told by junkard that I should get a size 42 EU, but according to the size chart I should get a 43 EU. Thoughts on sizing?

quasi-lurker

Reaction score
My length is at 26.75 cm and they recommended a 9us/42eu. I don't have my boots yet, so I can't comment on how accurate their suggestion was.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Yup, I like 1 better than 2 as well.

They said they can add more eyelets to number 1 - Still fighting myself on the Norvese stitch - thinking I may do that and go with cream - also considering pinking on the heel cup and eyestey...I think Trickers does that on theirs.

Right now still leaning Navy shell though that grey shell had me intrigued.

fitchottie

Reaction score

11.5 Viberg. 12 junkard

My boots arrived today and I may be in the minority but I really don't understand the hype at ALL.. I got aged bark, the boots are super light, super pointy, I mean I run my finger across the leather and they squeak. They did an unstructured toe ( i did not specify nor did they ask). To be honest they feel like a boot you would buy if you can't afford Viberg or just don't want to spend the money for the real deal if you want a Viberg. Now the Monkey boots and other silhouette I cannot comment on. I am a fan of the service boot! I can say this is a purchase i regret just from how they feel and how thin and stretchy the leather is. These cost the same a a pair of Dayton Boots.I finally have come to terms there really is not a better made service boot than Viberg.

Last edited:

menzaremba

Reaction score
I can understand not liking the last, but do the boots you received look different than the photos you'd seen? I paid ~350 CAD for boots made with the same thickness of Horween CXL that Viberg uses. The equivalent Vibergs would have cost me twice that (barring some magic sample sale). I have several friends that have bad experiences with Dayton (errors, weird charges) that made me look elsewhere. Maybe I'll change my mind when mine arrive, but I'm still happy with my choices.

I don't think people are hyping these because people think they are better. They are hyping them because they are great value if you can find a last/leather combination that you like.

Last edited:

fitchottie

Reaction score

I can understand not liking the last, but do the boots you received look different than the photos you'd seen? I paid ~350 CAD for boots made with the same thickness of Horween CXL that Viberg uses. The equivalent Vibergs would have cost me twice that (barring some magic sample sale). I have several friends that have bad experiences with Dayton (errors, weird charges) that made me look elsewhere. Maybe I'll change my mind when mine arrive, but I'm still happy with my choices. 

I don't think people are hyping these because people think they are better. They are hyping them because they are great value if you can find a last/leather combination that you like. 

I do not like the pointy toe! My daughter does
1f603.png
. Leather feels super thin and cheap like the nock off leather couches from rooms to go. I expected aged bark to feel suede like per all the things I have read and it feels nothing like that. Granted I have never felt aged bark. I don't k ow how to explain it but it feels cheap, insole came out immediately and your see foam underneath. But for $205usd not thrilled... any way you live and learn and maybe I am just the odd one out .

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every picture i have seen look pointy...not sure if you ordered a different last that was not supposed to be?

For a Viberg alternative there are Trumans...I dont anticipate Junkards aged bark or waxed flesh to be anything close to Horween...even in pictures it looks nothing like it.

I think Junkard gives folks a chance to get some custom make ups you cant get otherwise. I am ordering a shell boot only because the source for the shell is verified. Also getting a marginal style that I am ok with it not being a Viberg or Tricker tank.

Sorry to hear your not happy...sucks when that hallens. Been there with some expensive makers.

quasi-lurker

Reaction score
To be honest they feel like a boot you would buy if you can't afford Viberg or just don't want to spend the money for the real deal if you want a Viberg.

Purchasing products from any small, growing company in a different country than your own will be risky. You just have to due your research and hope that you get what you were looking for. Like Kahuna, I went with a boot in shell cordovan because I new where they were getting their leather. I also knew that their standard toe is unstructured, but that was only because I saw reviews that said so (they do not state this on their website, as you pointed out). The toe shape you show looks exactly like I was expecting judging by their instagram page and from photos other purchasers here and on reddit have provided.

I'm not expecting anything "better" than Viberg or any of the staple, established shoe/boot makers. I'm expecting to get a very customized, hand made, shell cordovan boot for a fraction of the cost of European and American brands. And I do hope I am not as disappointed as you, but I still have a few weeks before I can make that call.

I also want to make sure that you don't feel like we're ******** all over your assessment of the product, as it can be hard to read tone on the internet. Feedback like yours and other community members help future potential purchasers decide whether or not they want to hand over their hard earned cash to Junkard or any other company.

fitchottie

Reaction score

Purchasing products from any small, growing company in a different country than your own will be risky.  You just have to due your research and hope that you get what you were looking for.  Like Kahuna, I went with a boot in shell cordovan because I new where they were getting their leather.  I also knew that their standard toe is unstructured, but that was only because I saw reviews that said so (they do not state this on their website, as you pointed out). The toe shape you show looks exactly like I was expecting judging by their instagram page and from photos other purchasers here and on reddit have provided.

I'm not expecting anything "better" than Viberg or any of the staple, established shoe/boot makers.  I'm expecting to get a very customized, hand made, shell cordovan boot for a fraction of the cost of European and American brands.  And I do hope I am not as disappointed as you, but I still have a few weeks before I can make that call.

I also want to make sure that you don't feel like we're ******** all over your assessment of the product, as it can be hard to read tone on the internet.  Feedback like yours and other community members help future potential purchasers decide whether or not they want to hand over their hard earned cash to Junkard or any other company.

No I do not think you guys are ******** on my assessment at ALL. As for the toe, some look pointier than other but such is the nature of the beast. I was not expecting a Viberg alternative as much as a good feeling and well fitting boot. I personally have never felt such stretchy leather, so again that is my fault. I hope your boots surpass your expectation as it appears that is thecommon reaction.

quasi-lurker

Reaction score
No I do not think you guys are ******** on my assessment at ALL. As for the toe, some look pointier than other but such is the nature of the beast. I was not expecting a Viberg alternative as much as a good feeling and well fitting boot. I personally have never felt such stretchy leather, so again that is my fault. I hope your boots surpass your expectation as it appears that is thecommon reaction.

Besides the disappointing leather quality and toe shape, what do you think of the overall construction of the boot?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@fitchottie was the aged bark lined? Much like unlined kudu there is a sort of stretch to it but sounds like yours is excessive. Yeah did not mean to sound like I was pooping on your assessment at all -

fitchottie

Reaction score

Besides the disappointing leather quality and toe shape, what do you think of the overall construction of the boot?

The stitching and finishing looks great. I don't know if I can speak to the actual construction. I do know that the insole that is glued down came out of the right boot and below that you can see the nails and stapled and they appear to be nailed through some sort of foam board. The mid sole it self is noticeably thinner than Truman or Viberg. I am not to sure about what they put in the heel counters but regardless, the heels are very wide given the shape of the rest of the boot. These will definitely need to be sold since my toes are way to cramped since the boot is was shorter than a 12, it feel more like a Viberg 11.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads