• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jon Hamm out of character

BdeRWest

Reaction score
So I was reading GQ and noticed this profile on Jon Hamm: http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_7598

In it, in the third graf even, it is made quite clear there is a distinction between Don Draper and Jon Hamm's taste in clothes. A shame, ut humilter opinor, as Mr. Draper dresses so well.

Today, though, he descends the stairs wearing plaid shorts, a white linen shirt, and soccer sneakers. Hamm unsuited is kind of a frat guy, every inch the rabid sports fan and former high school football star. He says things like "Dude" and "Sweet" and "Dude, sweet!" On his head is a St. Louis Browns cap (facing frontward, thank the Lord). He looks like the kind of guy who is physically compelled to put on shorts the moment the temperature tops fifty-five degrees, a diagnosis he cheerfully confirms. Credit the totemic power of a suit, but he looks a full ten years younger than Don Draper, with about half the weight on his shoulders. How it is that the actor manages to make his '60s adman so much more than just another perfect design element on Mad Men's gorgeously curated set is not yet clear.

"This is going to be great," he says of our planned itinerary, a looping route through a city that he's embraced as perhaps only a midwesterner can. "One: You're going to get to see a shitload of L.A." He pauses, grins giddily. "Two: I have an awesome car."
Although this article from The Times explains what Mr. Hamm brought to his character -- his father: http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle5247450.ece

If you wanted to describe the polar opposite of Don Draper, you'd probably come up with Jon Hamm. It's such a powerful switch that it seems to be more than acting. It's as if he's channelling something from a long way away. And, in a sense, that's exactly what he's doing. Because what he brought to the character, he explains, was his father.
I thought I would share with you gentlemen these articles.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the man of the year article in GQ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads