• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John W. Nordstrom Signature Line

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nordstrom did not get back to me with any specifics.  Here's what I do know regarding quality:

- the jacket was made in the U.S. and has a "Unite Here" tag.  (Makes me think Southwick)
- the jacket appears to be fully canvassed, as I can pinch the inside and outside of the jacket below the bottom buttonhole and feel an independent piece of canvas.
- Jacket is 96% cashmere and 4% silk.
- Jacket was originally marked at $600 for Nordstrom, which seems like a pretty good price for a fully canvassed cashmere sportcoat.

the "unite here" tag is also found on older Hickey Freeman garments.

Really though...........do you care if it's canvassed or not? Aren't you happy with our purchase or will the answer to this question determine your happiness?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The John W. Nordstrom signature line dress shirts i have seen seem well made with good materials. Like others have noted.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really though...........do you care if it's canvassed or not? Aren't you happy with our purchase or will the answer to this question determine your happiness?

If it's not fully canvassed, then I have no clue what that independent material is inside the jacket below the bottom button. Regardless, I'm very happy with the quality and fit and likely taking it to the tailors today to get the sleeves altered. Just enjoying trying to solve the mystery of who made the jacket.

1wb

Reaction score
Sorry, but how does that solve the mystery? Both tags from two different Nordstrom private label coats have the same RN - and if you look up that RN, both are registered to Nordstrom.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's a Southwick manufacturing tag.

Take Caruso as an example. Caruso makes their suits under their own label and for Ralph Lauren. But regardless of fashion label, they have the same manufacturing tag.

Same thing with Corneliani and RL Polo.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to tie up a loose end. The John W. Norstrom Signature jacket is half canvassed. The jacket is unlined and, with a little digging, the canvas is plainly visible. It does not extend beyond the top button of the jacket.

blackrose

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread....but I can't stand snobs with no knowledge of tailoring and a better knowledge of marketing.
JWN signature is a extremely high quality suit. JWN regular line is also very Luxe and uses only Italian fabrics....Reda, Columbo, Lora Piana to name a few. The fit is very much like Canali. The FTY used depends on the style and fabric. HSM is used sometimes as well as some other US manufactures, but the majority of JWN signature is Italian made from Italian mills. Of course most of the wool fibers do come from New Zealand for suiting. As far as the MTM program and shirting it is all Italian mills... Thomas mason and such and The cream of the crop cotton comes from Switzerland ($495) Nordstrom Mens Shop Made to Measure shirting. This is a very high quality product if your not a brand whore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads