• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JEstreet

Reaction score
@MIKE_JE does the hemi oversized shirt in amber and Oxford check fit smaller than the other colors? The size guide on the site for Oxford and amber check says they fit true to size. Other colors says oversized. Measurements are the same so it’s a bit confusing.

januarytwenty

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can source a pair of Daze Coast in 32?

Tbmax11

Reaction score
Recently got my john elliott clerk sunglasses from sale after weird shipping but was well worth it great quality will get tons of wear over summer

lax16

Reaction score
Been searching for a good alternative to the mercer t-shirts but am having a really hard time finding something with similar material and cut. I tried searching this thread also but couldn't find an answer or I just suck at using the search function.

Can anybody recommend the closest alternatives to the mercer shirts? really appreciate it

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, its been some time since I posted on here. I promised some peeps a few reviews and SF seems like the best medium to do that. So without further ado here it goes (forgive me if I'm rusty).

CAST 2 RIGID / ETHER THOUGHTS

TL;DR:
  • Rigid is an appropriate name, these are hefty
  • Fit is surpassingly "looser" than OG cast 2 in a similar size
  • If you've purchased cast 2 recently and know your sizing stick TTS or size up if you have a 🍑
  • If you don't have a nice pair of black denim from JE, these are an exceptional pair for the rotation
What it is:
Cast 2 Rigid / Ether

Description from the site:
"Japanese 3x1 woven denim in washed black. Black weft with white core allows the denim to continue to fade over time. 3D creases and whiskering at the thigh, knees, and hem with soft fading throughout. Five pocket design with a button fly. Slim tapered fit with a low rise in the front and higher rise in the back. Tonal stitching. Made in Japan. 100% Cotton."

If this sounds familiar, then you're right. This is a similar description to the Cast 2 Obsidian. Both are made with a 3x1 denim with a black weft with a white core; both fade and develop over time BUT there are two very different pairs of denim.

When I got them in hand, I hadn't cared to look at the description prior, but all I could think is, "These really remind me of the obsidians". As I handled them a bit, that's all I could think about, but there are some bid differences.

First, the obsidians and the ethers have different compositions; 98% cotton 2% polyurethane for the former and 100% cotton for the later. Big deal right? But what about the weight? I had to find out, so I grabbed my pair of obsidians and holding them in hand it was like night and day. The ethers feel far more substantial than the obsidians. Great I'm hitting you with some subjective data, but what about objective data?

Being the investigative journalist that I am, I weighed them.
tempImageQpPFCZ.png

FIGURE 1: OBSIDIAN
tempImageK2ciZW.png

FIGURE 2: ETHER

As you can see, the ether is approximately 100g (that's about 1/4 pound heavier). That 1/4 pound is noticeable; the denim feels, well for lack of better words, RIGID. If you're familiar with raw denim, these feel a post soak pair of raw denim, not as rigid as maybe a complete raw pair, but they are rigid. Wearing the obsidians and the ethers there is a stark difference in the feel. The obsidian are likely 10.5-12oz denim, I'm assuming the ether is somewhere in the ball park of a 12-14oz. But how does that translate to sizing?

HOW TO SIZE:
Mind you, these are 100% cotton, they are going to have less give than a lot of the stretch denim you've become accustomed to. The heavier weight/denser fabric will also make these feel a bit less forgiving.

If you're used to relying on the stretch in the waist band to fit into your Cast 2 size, I'd suggest sizing up. Of if you got an ass that don't quit...size up.

If you have some room in the waist in your cast 2 size, you'll be fine sticking true to size.

If you're into the pain of breaking in your raw denim like it's the early aughts, go for it, but I wouldn't suggest it. I personally am a bit too old for that...or maybe I own too much denim to make a dent in it. One note: these will stretch. Ive worn mine for probably a combined ~16 hours so far and I am already noticing a bit of give in the waist and thighs...this is a good thing. I can feel the denim molding to my body; really notice it in the way the knees and stacks sit after a bit of wear.

How do they compare to cast 2? Well I can't speak of last years "newer" cut or this years cast 2 slim, but compared to previous iterations, they have more room. Again, mind you, the material is less forgiving, but when placing a one on top of the other, they are bigger.

tempImagebD2AkD.png

FIGURE 3: OBSIDIANS ON TOP OF ETHERS

As you can see above, the ethers are significantly wider than the obsidians. The denim as a whole is larger; the thighs, knees, calves, leg opening. I know there was some talk elsewhere that it's hard to get your foot through, not going to lie, it is, but I think that's just cast 2/feet size and has little to do with this particular pair. On a good note: you know what they say about big feet...

THE DETAILS:
Like I mentioned before, these are similar to the obsidians, but very different.
tempImagefRS1kL.png

FIGURE 4: OBSIDIAN ON TOP, ETHER ON BOTTOM

As you can see above, the ethers have far more distressing. They have all the aspects you'd expect: Whiskers, honeycombs, stacks, thigh fading, seat fading, etc.

tempImageH7yFlk.png

FIGURE 5: FRONT OVERVIEW

tempImageOxA7aD.png

FIGURE 6: BACK OVERVIEW

tempImageWDgX3b.png

FIGURE 7: CLOSE UP OF WHISKERS, THIGH FADES, CHEVRONS, RAIL ROAD TRACKS, INSEAM ABRASIONS

tempImageriuToz.png

FIGURE 8: CLOSE UP OF SEAT FADING/SEAM ABRASION, HONEYCOMBS

tempImagedkgO1r.png

FIGURE 9: CLOSE UP OF STACKS

Now one thing I want to mention is the color of the denim and the fading. In figure 4, there is a dramatic difference in the color of the two different pairs of denim. Both are a deep black, where there is distressing you notice a lack of color; in the obsidians the white core is exposed which results in white/blue fades. The obsidians are very subtle, most of the distressing takes the form of baked in creases with subtle exposure of the white that lies underneath. With the ethers, they took a different approach. On my particular pair, hopefully it comes across in figure 7, the whiskers are a white with subtle blue undertones. The thigh fades on the other hand have a muddy brown/red overtone to them. This is dramatically different than the obsidians which are very subtle in distressing. Various portions to the denim have either the white core peeking or have a muddy brown (subtle) hue to them. I believe the reasoning for this is the process that was used to accentuate the distressing. It looks like Potassium permanganate spray was applied by hand to the areas that were distressed to increase and accentuate their character, but a side affect of this is the discoloration as seen. I think depending on the pair you buy, you will likely have varying degrees of this coloring. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Ok so I've given you a lot of details and talked about fit, but I'm guessing you want to get into the meat and potatoes...how do they look on

STYLING & FIT:
I won't bore you with more talk, here are two fits from yesterday and today.
tempImageZWPPCN.png
tempImagevZkCwX.png

FIGURES 10 &11: JE CASHMERE BEANIE // ARCHIE COVERALL JACKET // ETHER // CHUCKS

PhotoRoom_20230126_142423.PNG
PhotoRoom_20230126_142859.PNG

FIGURES 12 & 13: JE CASHMERE BEANIE // JE SCOUT // JE ETHER // COLLEGIUM COURT 2

You can be the judge on the fits, but I think the work really well with high tops and low tops (surprisingly). Im generally not a fan of how stacks sit on low tops, a lot of times they just look sloppy. The rigid structure of the denim and the baked in stacks help to prop the pants off like a pair of high tops would. I know everyone is dying to know if they'll fit over AJ1s, well they more sit atop them. In my opinion if you're really looking to wear AJ1 with your pants, you're better off with a wider fit ie Daze, but I know some people like the look of the denim atop the AJ1s. You do you!

With regards to styling, I'm a big symmetry weirdo. I am not a huge fan of very oversized tops with skinny bottoms, I prefer a bit more of a symmetrical fit. I think balance is important, but I didn't feel like the fit looked off with the scout, which honestly I was a bit surprised. Would love to hear others thoughts, BE NICE!

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
I know, I know y'all thought I was a Daze boy, I am truthfully. I have way too many pairs of daze and it's prob been a few years since I bought cast 2, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the ecomm shots had me intrigued. I felt like I was being inundated with shots of the ethers and you know how that goes. Then I saw yungkarders pics and it was pretty much over, I knew I needed them. Now to be honest I had no idea what to expect, there were lots of talks of the change in fit, brief personal experiences, sizing suggestions all over the place, etc etc.

All said and done, I'm glad I gave them a go. Now in an effort to not piss off @barrettdudley and others, I'm not going to say these are the JOTY (jeans of the year), but I will say I was pleasantly surprised.

Am I back to being a cast 2 boy? Probably not. I still think there is a time and a place for skinny/slim denim. I still reach for my skinny/slim denim when I'm going out to dinner with my wife or going to an event. These scratch that itch. But the fading also helps make them a bit casual as well. So are they "fine dining pants"? "Casual pants"? I'm not sure, but I think they are pretty versatile and it's nice to have some skinny/slim pants that fit well and don't feel suffocating in the rotation.

So can I recommend them to you? I'm just going to keep my mouth closed on this one. I will end on this note: if you're in need of a solid black pair of denim and you're not ready to jump on the jnco train (that's a joke) or need something to switch it up from all the jnco's you're already wearing...this is a solid contender.

peace

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you got one of the 2 they made. Ha ha ha.
lol - it was in my cart (and apparently not sold out at the time), but my responsible purchases finger prevented me from submiting the order.

It's sorta like controlling the legs and backing off the pass if you teel that your opponent is maybe a bit too deep under, as opposed to throwing caution to the wind and deciding that the exposed back looks ripe for the chase.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol - it was in my cart (and apparently not sold out at the time), but my responsible purchases finger prevented me from submiting the order.

It's sorta like controlling the legs and backing off the pass if you teel that your opponent is maybe a bit too deep under, as opposed to throwing caution to the wind and deciding that the exposed back looks ripe for the chase.

"If you can see the back, you can take the back."

Always go for it !!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If you can see the back, you can take the back."

Always go for it !!
I'n 48, my knees are jaoked up anyway, and I enjoy being ambulatory.

Which is a lot of words to say that I don't feel like ending up in a leg lock battle.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, its been some time since I posted on here. I promised some peeps a few reviews and SF seems like the best medium to do that. So without further ado here it goes (forgive me if I'm rusty).

CAST 2 RIGID / ETHER THOUGHTS

TL;DR:
  • Rigid is an appropriate name, these are hefty
  • Fit is surpassingly "looser" than OG cast 2 in a similar size
  • If you've purchased cast 2 recently and know your sizing stick TTS or size up if you have a 🍑
  • If you don't have a nice pair of black denim from JE, these are an exceptional pair for the rotation
What it is:
Cast 2 Rigid / Ether

Description from the site:

If this sounds familiar, then you're right. This is a similar description to the Cast 2 Obsidian. Both are made with a 3x1 denim with a black weft with a white core; both fade and develop over time BUT there are two very different pairs of denim.

When I got them in hand, I hadn't cared to look at the description prior, but all I could think is, "These really remind me of the obsidians". As I handled them a bit, that's all I could think about, but there are some bid differences.

First, the obsidians and the ethers have different compositions; 98% cotton 2% polyurethane for the former and 100% cotton for the later. Big deal right? But what about the weight? I had to find out, so I grabbed my pair of obsidians and holding them in hand it was like night and day. The ethers feel far more substantial than the obsidians. Great I'm hitting you with some subjective data, but what about objective data?

Being the investigative journalist that I am, I weighed them.
View attachment 1883456
FIGURE 1: OBSIDIAN
View attachment 1883457
FIGURE 2: ETHER

As you can see, the ether is approximately 100g (that's about 1/4 pound heavier). That 1/4 pound is noticeable; the denim feels, well for lack of better words, RIGID. If you're familiar with raw denim, these feel a post soak pair of raw denim, not as rigid as maybe a complete raw pair, but they are rigid. Wearing the obsidians and the ethers there is a stark difference in the feel. The obsidian are likely 10.5-12oz denim, I'm assuming the ether is somewhere in the ball park of a 12-14oz. But how does that translate to sizing?

HOW TO SIZE:
Mind you, these are 100% cotton, they are going to have less give than a lot of the stretch denim you've become accustomed to. The heavier weight/denser fabric will also make these feel a bit less forgiving.

If you're used to relying on the stretch in the waist band to fit into your Cast 2 size, I'd suggest sizing up. Of if you got an ass that don't quit...size up.

If you have some room in the waist in your cast 2 size, you'll be fine sticking true to size.

If you're into the pain of breaking in your raw denim like it's the early aughts, go for it, but I wouldn't suggest it. I personally am a bit too old for that...or maybe I own too much denim to make a dent in it. One note: these will stretch. Ive worn mine for probably a combined ~16 hours so far and I am already noticing a bit of give in the waist and thighs...this is a good thing. I can feel the denim molding to my body; really notice it in the way the knees and stacks sit after a bit of wear.

How do they compare to cast 2? Well I can't speak of last years "newer" cut or this years cast 2 slim, but compared to previous iterations, they have more room. Again, mind you, the material is less forgiving, but when placing a one on top of the other, they are bigger.

View attachment 1883504
FIGURE 3: OBSIDIANS ON TOP OF ETHERS

As you can see above, the ethers are significantly wider than the obsidians. The denim as a whole is larger; the thighs, knees, calves, leg opening. I know there was some talk elsewhere that it's hard to get your foot through, not going to lie, it is, but I think that's just cast 2/feet size and has little to do with this particular pair. On a good note: you know what they say about big feet...

THE DETAILS:
Like I mentioned before, these are similar to the obsidians, but very different.
View attachment 1883511
FIGURE 4: OBSIDIAN ON TOP, ETHER ON BOTTOM

As you can see above, the ethers have far more distressing. They have all the aspects you'd expect: Whiskers, honeycombs, stacks, thigh fading, seat fading, etc.

View attachment 1883519
FIGURE 5: FRONT OVERVIEW

View attachment 1883521
FIGURE 6: BACK OVERVIEW

View attachment 1883522
FIGURE 7: CLOSE UP OF WHISKERS, THIGH FADES, CHEVRONS, RAIL ROAD TRACKS, INSEAM ABRASIONS

View attachment 1883523
FIGURE 8: CLOSE UP OF SEAT FADING/SEAM ABRASION, HONEYCOMBS

View attachment 1883525
FIGURE 9: CLOSE UP OF STACKS

Now one thing I want to mention is the color of the denim and the fading. In figure 4, there is a dramatic difference in the color of the two different pairs of denim. Both are a deep black, where there is distressing you notice a lack of color; in the obsidians the white core is exposed which results in white/blue fades. The obsidians are very subtle, most of the distressing takes the form of baked in creases with subtle exposure of the white that lies underneath. With the ethers, they took a different approach. On my particular pair, hopefully it comes across in figure 7, the whiskers are a white with subtle blue undertones. The thigh fades on the other hand have a muddy brown/red overtone to them. This is dramatically different than the obsidians which are very subtle in distressing. Various portions to the denim have either the white core peeking or have a muddy brown (subtle) hue to them. I believe the reasoning for this is the process that was used to accentuate the distressing. It looks like Potassium permanganate spray was applied by hand to the areas that were distressed to increase and accentuate their character, but a side affect of this is the discoloration as seen. I think depending on the pair you buy, you will likely have varying degrees of this coloring. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Ok so I've given you a lot of details and talked about fit, but I'm guessing you want to get into the meat and potatoes...how do they look on

STYLING & FIT:
I won't bore you with more talk, here are two fits from yesterday and today.
View attachment 1883531 View attachment 1883532
FIGURES 10 &11: JE CASHMERE BEANIE // ARCHIE COVERALL JACKET // ETHER // CHUCKS

View attachment 1883533 View attachment 1883534
FIGURES 12 & 13: JE CASHMERE BEANIE // JE SCOUT // JE ETHER // COLLEGIUM COURT 2

You can be the judge on the fits, but I think the work really well with high tops and low tops (surprisingly). Im generally not a fan of how stacks sit on low tops, a lot of times they just look sloppy. The rigid structure of the denim and the baked in stacks help to prop the pants off like a pair of high tops would. I know everyone is dying to know if they'll fit over AJ1s, well they more sit atop them. In my opinion if you're really looking to wear AJ1 with your pants, you're better off with a wider fit ie Daze, but I know some people like the look of the denim atop the AJ1s. You do you!

With regards to styling, I'm a big symmetry weirdo. I am not a huge fan of very oversized tops with skinny bottoms, I prefer a bit more of a symmetrical fit. I think balance is important, but I didn't feel like the fit looked off with the scout, which honestly I was a bit surprised. Would love to hear others thoughts, BE NICE!

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
I know, I know y'all thought I was a Daze boy, I am truthfully. I have way too many pairs of daze and it's prob been a few years since I bought cast 2, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the ecomm shots had me intrigued. I felt like I was being inundated with shots of the ethers and you know how that goes. Then I saw yungkarders pics and it was pretty much over, I knew I needed them. Now to be honest I had no idea what to expect, there were lots of talks of the change in fit, brief personal experiences, sizing suggestions all over the place, etc etc.

All said and done, I'm glad I gave them a go. Now in an effort to not piss off @barrettdudley and others, I'm not going to say these are the JOTY (jeans of the year), but I will say I was pleasantly surprised.

Am I back to being a cast 2 boy? Probably not. I still think there is a time and a place for skinny/slim denim. I still reach for my skinny/slim denim when I'm going out to dinner with my wife or going to an event. These scratch that itch. But the fading also helps make them a bit casual as well. So are they "fine dining pants"? "Casual pants"? I'm not sure, but I think they are pretty versatile and it's nice to have some skinny/slim pants that fit well and don't feel suffocating in the rotation.

So can I recommend them to you? I'm just going to keep my mouth closed on this one. I will end on this note: if you're in need of a solid black pair of denim and you're not ready to jump on the jnco train (that's a joke) or need something to switch it up from all the jnco's you're already wearing...this is a solid contender.

peace
@LA Guy is there any way I can edit this post. I didn’t proofread and there are a ton of grammatically errors

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elstir2024