• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jstrath406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a clean shoe as much as you guys but I just never understood the love for AF1's. They're big and bulky and they especially don't look good on skinnier jeans on 90% of people. I'm sure if you're an AF1 fan these JE versions might be cool because of the subtle differences but it's just that a subtle difference. If any of you all walked by me wearing those I'd have a hard time telling if they were the og or JE version.
They’re an all time classic design. I never wear mine with skinny jeans anyway, I agree that’s not a good look. Always pair mine with cargos or other baggy pants. Bulky looks good with the right outfit. I like them because JE put their subtle touch on them without ruining such a classic shoe by doing too much. Still, for $160 I don’t know if I’ll cop.

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of passing to me... we will see how many of you stick to that on RD...

Edeezus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo the Vandals are way better and it’s $10 cheaper. Hard pass on a pair of shoes I outgrew in high school for that price point.

npa23

Reaction score
I like a clean shoe as much as you guys but I just never understood the love for AF1's. They're big and bulky and they especially don't look good on skinnier jeans on 90% of people. I'm sure if you're an AF1 fan these JE versions might be cool because of the subtle differences but it's just that a subtle difference. If any of you all walked by me wearing those I'd have a hard time telling if they were the og or JE version.

If you notice people who wear them it's with baggy pants or females wearing shorts or baggy pants. Classic design and I'll always have a pair on my rotation.

Like above said... $160 for minimal designs I'd have to bring up close to look at... Pass. Maybe if they slimmed it down a little yeah but pass.

due_dilla

Reaction score
If I can double up on the AF1s... I definitely will. The subtle detailing on these is incredible. Instant classic in my opinion.

TheOpOg

Reaction score
Got a package deal of 3 Cast 2s for a great price -- Coba, Nimbus, and Presidio.

I was originally a 32 in jeans, then lost some weight over the summer, and I'm noticing that a 31 waist is a little loose (rag & bone and JE cast 2), but perfect elsewhere (almost too tight in the thigh and knee).

In this case, would you guys advise sizing down again to a 30? Or just sticking with a belt and/or let the jeans ride at the hip (widest point)?

Damn, those are 3 great pairs of denim. I am really mad I had to sell my Coba's but they stretched out a bunch, I lost some weight, and they just didn't fit me well anymore. Great summer denim though. I am in the same boat as you the waist on my denim becomes way too loose after a couple weeks of wear but if I size down it becomes uncomfortably tight through my thighs and calves. It's been a pretty common complaint on here with JE denim. I would consider getting the waist taken in. The only issue is then it might make the denim harder to sell down the line if you decide to (although many may appreciate it). I have just been using an old drawstring to keep mine up.

The really sucky part for me is that I am between sizes 34 and 36 - which is a HUGE leap in measurements. 34's have a 33" waist and the next size up, 36, has a 4" increase to 37"! That's a 12% increase in circumference in just one size step up. To put that into perspective, the size increase over the prior 4 sizes, 30 to 34, isn't even an 8% increase combined! The jump from size 29 to 34 is more comparable at a 13% increase in circumference. So there are 6 size choices over a 13% increase in waist size and then essentially none over the next 12% increase in waist size. I realize this is because there is most likely more demand for JE denim around the 30-33 range but it's still frustrating to have a size gap that big (and probably not optimal business-wise). Imagine being a size 31 in JE denim but your only choices are a size 29 or 34. It sucks. JE should come out with a size 35 denim or bump up size 34 a bit and bring size 36 down a bit to reduce the massive size gap there.

On the JE AF1, does anyone know if there is higher quality leather on the JE version? It looks like the Nike check is better but I am curious about the rest of the shoe's body. The "leather" on the normal AF1 is crap and feels like plastic. I'd be a little more excited if I knew it had better quality leather throughout. Anybody have hands-on yet?

npa23

Reaction score
On the JE AF1, does anyone know if there is higher quality leather on the JE version? It looks like the Nike check is better but I am curious about the rest of the shoe's body. The "leather" on the normal AF1 is crap and feels like plastic. I'd be a little more excited if I knew it had better quality leather throughout. Anybody have hands-on yet?

It's a NikeLab release so probably a little better in leather quality

rbroseph

Reaction score
For those who love washed black and O/S tees, I highly recommend Billy LA. I was lucky to grab a couple on sale and the marshal tee is my new favorite. Super soft and the wash is amazing, similar to the JE/Woo collab. Ribbing on the collar has a nice stretch to it too. Pics with the classic rider

211E7A35-7276-41D1-BE73-5A7EDFE33E64.jpeg C0B87F8E-1C5F-4B78-9413-36707946DFFD.jpeg

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who love washed black and O/S tees, I highly recommend Billy LA. I was lucky to grab a couple on sale and the marshal tee is my new favorite. Super soft and the wash is amazing, similar to the JE/Woo collab. Ribbing on the collar has a nice stretch to it too. Pics with the classic rider

View attachment 1050779 View attachment 1050780
Not a fan of the outline of the pocket, or lack there of... also, that rider looks a little big on you. Did you try sizing down on it?

quickstruck

Reaction score

View attachment 1050779 View attachment 1050780
how big was their sale? looks like that shirt goes for $180 retail... at that price i'd rather get 2 washed black replicas/anti-expos haha

rbroseph

Reaction score
how big was their sale? looks like that shirt goes for $180 retail... at that price i'd rather get 2 washed black replicas/anti-expos haha

Got the marshal for $90 and Joseph for $70 at one of their online stockists. I love JE but their basalt tees are too big in the sleeves for my liking and antis are too long for my height. Still need to try the replica

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads