• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise on which model of tee to get?

Mercers don't work for me, the Small isn't broad enough in the shoulders (and does a weird hourglass figure thing), and although the medium just about fits, it's way too long.

With or without a slutty neck is fine, though I never a wear a tee that has one just on it's own, only use for layering. Trying on is a bit of a pain in the UK, went into HN today and they literally had just two Mercers, in two sizes.

maybe try a classic crew in co-mix in a medium? the co mix generally fits tighter and shorter and drapes differently than the regular tees

srizvi722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still surprised that the flannel released yesterday is getting hate for the price...Find me a decent flannel under $200, the one's I see that are nice are $400+..but I can't say MUCH right now considering I have not received it yet, but hopefully I'll get it soon so I'll update. I'm curious to know, did anyone on this thread fork up $700 on that Quentin jacket...

Last edited:

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still surprised that the flannel released yesterday is getting hate for the price...Find me a decent flannel under $200, the one's I see that are nice are $400+..but I can't say MUCH right now considering I have not received it yet, but hopefully I'll get it soon so I'll update. I'm curious to know, did anyone on this thread fork up $700 on that Quentin jacket...

RRL (Pyrex vision (what became off white) flannels actually were dead stock Ralph Lauren rugby flannels that were rebranded)
https://m.ralphlauren.com/?categoryId=11588650&ab=GeoMobile_iUS_rUS_dUS/#/product/99828066?_k=an0mzq

Or you could get a Pendleton mills flannel. That's the fabric slp used for AW13 flannels. Also used for opening ceremony and cdg flannels. They cost $130

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beat me too it. rrl flannels are consistently marked down and can be found on sale. their buttons are (also) crap but the retail price starts for most casual work shirts at 195.

theres also engineered garments which also can be found on sale although i believe their retail price for flannels is around 230ish so slightly cheaper than 250 but still over priced.

i think patrik ervell typically makes one or two flannels every f/w that are at the 200ish range as well

portugeuse flannel but never owned or seen one in real life

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Btw the JE flannel contains no wool, it is a brushed cotton that mimics the texture of flannel

Like I said before, I actually really like the maroon, it has a great color and fit. Ended up getting the red as well

Last edited:

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are buying just for fit, why not buy something that you like material wise and get it tailored ? Getting clothes custom fit is the way to go when possible.

I kept the maroon and also ordered the red. When I mentioned generic it was more so fabric and maybe the pattern. In general, I think for shirts there are a lot of options and plenty I think are better. I think the Yuma shirt was the best shirt JE made. My personal fav are slp shirts but i can't drop a grand on a shirt all that often

Last edited:

dcvm1979

Reaction score
damn right the yuma was sick...we need that in different colors n washes for sure...also @Jbidwal...all this posting had me cop the white kake...damn u...anyways I got a medium we are pretty close in height n weight ..is that what u got...the flannels are okay but the ones with the yoke details are better..

973god

Reaction score
I'm curious on what items the quality has drastically changed? I'm not sure I'd equate a strip of suede and some snap closures to quality in the case of the flannel. My main point was more so around pricing. Even if we equate those things to quality, the price of the new iterations of flannels were much less. It's not like they are cutting quality and jacking up the price across the board. And if I recall, there were a ton of people complaining when the 41 overshirt was released that it was way too expensive. But now in hindsight people are chalking it up as quality versus the new items.

For me it wasn't so much the price or quality of materials used it was that I was comparing the Brushed Flannel to the older 41 Overshirt in my head since they share a similar aesthetic/pattern. With the 41 Overshirt I was getting a grail I couldn't compare to a RRL flannel or any flannel on the market. The uniqueness of a shirt having RiRi snap button as opposed to regular buttons and a quilted leather yoke on the back was so unique and unheard of to me. It's the little things like that which separate JE from any other brand to me and which is why I stan so hard over their products (no shame in admitting it.) Both of the shirts are amazing but if I'm picking one it's the 41 Overshirt simply due to how it stands out then any other flannel I've seen.

peter1234930

Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many people are super price sensitive in here. Yes, at a certain point the prices can go overboard but I think most items have been priced fairly. If $20 in either direction is make or break, probably shouldn't be buying in the first place. How can you justify a $228 hoodie but a $248 flannel is outrageous? Similarly, the Supreme comparisons are just dumb. Who cares if you can get a flannel for $100. There is a difference between quality and slapping a brand on a Champion sweatshirt.
I get where you're coming from but JE customers run the spectrum in terms of income and price sensitivity, like any other brand. There are people who buy everything at full price and there are those who only buy around sale time, and others in between. JE may be breaking the bank for some and a drop in the bucket for others.

I have no problem spending more on unique items like distressed denim or outerwear, but I'll go elsewhere for a red flannel that isn't too different from the offerings of other brands.

Last edited:

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damn right the yuma was sick...we need that in different colors n washes for sure...also @Jbidwal...all this posting had me cop the white kake...damn u...anyways I got a medium we are pretty close in height n weight ..is that what u got...the flannels are okay but the ones with the yoke details are better..

It's a small but I'm down to 130 now.

mcnicol21

Reaction score
Few sizes of the combat boots available for $398 after a discount code. PM me if you want the the info.

ursman

Reaction score
If you are buying just for fit, why not buy something that you like material wise and get it tailored ? Getting clothes custom fit is the way to go when possible.

I kept the maroon and also ordered the red. When I mentioned generic it was more so fabric and maybe the pattern. In general, I think for shirts there are a lot of options and plenty I think are better. I think the Yuma shirt was the best shirt JE made. My personal fav are slp shirts but i can't drop a grand on a shirt all that often

Agreed completely. I get most of my shirts custom made. Got a few flannels and I love them. $100-$150. Like @cyc wid it said previously - you really gotta wow me if I'm going to lay out serious money for RTW shirts. Otherwise - I just don't see the point. That's me though. I live in dress shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads