• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview in the AM, dress advice needed

fedor

Reaction score
Hi,

I found this site when I was searching for suit advice. My only suit is black, and I've read that is not popular here for interview purposes. I like the suit and it's all I have so I will be wearing a black suit.

I read that I can lighten it up with a pale blue shirt. I plan to wear a blue shirt and a maroon/patterned tie. Will this look ok with a black suit? I could run out and get a different tie if this is a bad look. I put it on and I feel it looks good but I am not a fashion expert. I've attached a pic, thank you all for the advice!

southbound35

Reaction score
A black suit isn't the worst thing you could wear to an interview. Charcoal or navy would be a better choice; but since your interview is tomorrow, you've got to go with what you have. I think a light blue shirt is a good idea as the contrast between black and light blue is less stark than between black and white. Your burgundy tie should be fine.

My only suggestion would be to find a navy or charcoal suit for your next interview (whether it be a second interview for this job or another job). You've made your way to an excellent resource for sartorial knowledge. Take advantage of it and you'll always be able to put your best foot forward.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Bright, jewel-colored ties look best with a black suit as they do not get washed out by the starkness of the black.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suits are unpopular with some on this board but are perfectly normal out in the world so have no fears on that score.

That shirt and tie combination is fine. Look about the streets for influence rather than the stricter older rules which you can read of here. For individuals who want to make a personal point these 'rules' are fine but few adhere to them and you should go in confidence to your interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads