• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander DB Suit - but no buttons on the cuff

mylesmyles

Reaction score
so i recently purchased this rather nice Jil Sander suit but there is one quirky feature that i was aware of when i purchased it (for $350) and that is that it does not have sleeve buttons. When i first read that i figured i could have buttons put on but i am curious as to if i am better off leavingit how it is styled. It is a closed cuff so i wonder if the tailor would be able to pull enough fabric to even make working button holes? also was the price i paid (a little bartering after there was no winning bidder) good - and is it fully canvassed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Do the pinch test to see if it's canvassed: pinch the chest above the front pocket and again on the lower third. Compare to a pinch on the back. If you feel the exact same thing front and back, then it is canvassed. Chances are, it is.

Looks like the sleeves were left unfinished and the included buttons were lost before you bought it. If the sleeves are too full, which is unlikely, then some of the extra fabric can be used to create functioning buttonholes. There are also some tailoring tricks that you can pull, if it's important to you.

Suit looks slick, wear it in good health.

Tom

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, why can't they be selling beauties like that in 54 instead of just little sizes!

Are the sleeves designed to hold buttons? Is there a sleeve placket basted shut? A few seasons ago a lot of designers did sportcoats without buttons on the sleeves. I have one in cotton from John Varvatos that I think is S/S 03 thusly finished. Unless they have a basted placket, I would leave them as is, perhaps keeping the sleeves slightly longer than usual so that the jacket does not show cuff. Visible cuff will highlight the end of the sleeve, and lack of buttons on it.

About the canvassing, I've never seen a Jil Sander jacket that wasn't, though there may have been some in the post-Jil era.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Holy ****, that's the exact same DB suit style I want to get. 4x2 and all. Except well, I want sleeve buttons.

Brian SD

Reaction score
About the canvassing, I've never seen a Jil Sander jacket that wasn't, though there may have been some in the post-Jil era.
There are no Jil Sander suits that are not full-canvassed. period.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it look on? Might you indulge us with a picture?

I'm toying with lashing out on the 34R, given my infinitismal frame...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads