• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three-Piece Suit Buttoning Conventions Different by Country and Time Period?

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
I often wear a three-piece suit or a two-piece suit with a sweater vest, but I recently came across the claim that a suit is not meant to be buttoned when wearing a vest. Is this a modern convention, one followed in America rather than the UK, or have I just been ignorantly wearing my suits wrong all this time? And does this differ depending on whether the vest is odd, matching, or a sweater?

I have additionally become confused lately by differing opinions on whether the bottom button of one's waistcoat is to be left undone or not, and if this varies whether one is or is not wearing their jacket?

And what about the last button on topcoats, overcoats, and frock coats?

And a final question: While someone wearing a modern suit with the last button fastened looks like a rube, what about a vintage jacket, or a jacket based on a vintage pattern, from before Edward VII's obesity first made it a thing? I would assume, unlike a modern jacket, that a jacket from before this time should be fully buttoned and would drape incorrectly otherwise? Does anyone know the date when the convention of leaving the last button undone was widely adopted by tailors, changing the placement of the button holes?

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
I can't speak for the UK. In the US, particularly in regions where men still wear suits to work (NYC/Chicago), full 3-piece suits are rare and considered to be Boardwalk Empire cosplay.

I do sometimes wear a sweater vest with a suit in very, very cold weather. I'm talking low teens or single digits Fahrenheit, below zero with the "real feel." Nasty cold. I always leave the bottom button undone on any button-up sweater, including cardigans. Buttoning the jacket over it is a simple matter of additional warmth, without much regard for fashion conventions.

I have too read that buttoning a jacket over a waistcoat or vest is a faux pas. Whether it's a convention that differs by country, I can't say. Wearing a waistcoat isn't a convention that's followed in the US to begin with.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Boardwalk Empire cosplay is a loud plaid suit with the DB jacket open.* :D You know, so that you have full range of motion during the life-and-death wrestling match you're in with some sweaty World War 1 veteran turned mob hitman, which always seems to end with one guy gaining the upper hand, twisting the barrel of the gun they're fighting over into the other guy's face, and then pulling the trigger point blank without batting an eye. Seriously, has anyone ever tallied how many mooks bought it that way on that show? I got into that show for the clothes and stayed for the compelling storyline, but the horrific violence made Game of Thrones look downright tame.

Jokes aside, of course you need to button it up when standing, as the jacket loses its shape if worn open. My tailor actually adds an extra half inch or so to jackets that are part of a 3-piece, specifically so that it can be buttoned comfortably over the waistcoat.

You'll know if the jacket is meant to be buttoned all the way, because it won't have weird pull marks over the front quarters when buttoned. See for example those "paddock jackets" that were popular in the....1920s and 1930s?? There are some pics of various Kennedy and Windsor types wearing them.

*I jest but for an early bespoke commission I specifically got this, and wear it a lot.....but only as casual separates...and only outside of work....and only when I know everyone will be drunk...🤦‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads