• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans make the outfit?

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
In the summer they definitely can.

Someone wearing chuck taylor, light coloured bootcut jeans, american apparel tee = bad
Someone wearing chuck taylor, APC new cure/std, american apparel tee = good

Although, less so in the winter I'd say.

How brainwashed are you?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have the most influence in the outfit in terms of overall fit and cohesion, but they don't catch the eye as much. I think boots and shoes, coats and jackets, and shirts catch the eye easier.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
How brainwashed are you?

It was just an example. And to me, every single day doesn't have to be an awe inspiring, jaw dropping, runway model fashion show to the world. Some days I prefer the simple things, especially in the summer where clothes aren't as exciting to me. Fall/Winter is wear it's at with the layering possibilities.

I think jeans play a supporting role in the overall look of an outfit. They certainly stand out to me though if it's those god awful horrific wash "mom/dad" jeans.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoconutBanana
I agree with this.

So a perfect jacket when everything else sucks is all right?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
How brainwashed are you?
The only item I even own out of the things I listed are chuck taylors. So yeah I'm pretty brainwashed for putting out a simple example where jeans can make the difference between a decent outfit and a bad one
sarcasm.gif
And what do you wear in the summer? Boots, jackets, scarves, sweaters, and OCBDs?
plain.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
So $300 Chuck knock-offs are better?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Alot of factors go into what makes an outfit. Most dont really have to do with the pieces per se, but fit/cut, slim body (how well you upkeep your body, little things like your hair, scent, smile, attitude, posture.

For clothes though, and especially streetwear, what makes a dressy casual wear is the blazer/coat and accessory (like belt, shoes) for me.

However, the jeans or pants can put off the whole outfit so in a sense it does make or break it.

For a real casual outfit, the jeans is the main thing:

I can have a real plain cheap tee
and sneakers on, but i rock a slim dark jean on it gives off a really chic and cool look.

On the other hand, you wear an expensive tee or shirt and wear mediocre jeans,
To me that just looks like a guy with an expensive tee or shirt on.

KenN

Reaction score
If done properly, jeans shouldn't be the focal point of your outfit. But ill fitting jeans will break an outfit.

Personally, nothing can beat a well proportioned silhouette with a nice pair of shoes, a beautiful watch and a classy girl in your arms.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The focal point of your outfit is what you want it to be. Any item(s) that is/are visible can take the cake, it's just a matter of which works best/looks best. Shoes are a very popular attraction, as well as watches, necklaces, unusual t-shirts and as you've mentioned, denim. It all depends on the outfit though, there is no ultimate one defining article of clothing that will make or break an outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads