• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean substitutes for summer

maraca2020

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap out my jeans for the summer months with another type of pant, maybe slightly dressier, in a lighter, more summery fabric. I've already got some understated seersucker pants and light chinos, but I'm looking for something I could wear most days and wear in/beat up like a good pair of jeans. Thanks

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap out my jeans for the summer months with another type of pant, maybe slightly dressier, in a lighter, more summery fabric. I've already got some understated seersucker pants and light chinos, but I'm looking for something I could wear most days and wear in/beat up like a good pair of jeans. Thanks
Since you already have seer sucker and light chino's, maybe a linen or linen blend ie linen cotton

pretty versatile and great for summer

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans are in their own league for wear and so anything else will not be as robust - although you may be willing to throw them away instead.

CodPiece

Reaction score
There are lightweight denim weaves currently being discussed on the Blue Owl Workshop thread.

maraca2020

Reaction score
What about light grey tropical wool trousers? Are they relatively versatile to wear with just an open-collared shirt? Thanks

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Lightweight wool is not known for durability. Poplin cotton is reasonably durable and lightweight, though it isn't very breathable (not great for humid heat).

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinos is for beating.

For a good summer trouser, nothing is complete without a pair of fresco 2ply sand, wheat or beige trouser.

Davidof

Reaction score
Light weight canvas pants which actually rocked in 2010 are also good option as substitute for denim. They were rocking in 2010 and i personally bought 3 colors Navy, Olive and khakis and still wear them most. Now a days it is very hard to find one of those but i feel very good choice.

Davidof

Reaction score
I bought one from Dockers and one from BB but don't know if they are still offering these anymore.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven for all Mankind has jeans in many non blue versions, several of which are
linen blends and the like. Also, I own Mabitex that slacks are linen or a linen blend.
I am not sure. Main point is , is that they are sturdy and don't wrinkle much like
most linen.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads