• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean jackets

Brian SD

Reaction score
Get Smart - you are right. The 506XX (also called Type II) is the holy grail of denim jackets. Denime makes a copy of it that's even better, but its a pain *********** to find.

I love denim jackets.. I wear them over hoodies quite often.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Engineered Garments jacket (I think it is made from broken twill denim) You can see it in the pictures of the Drinkwater's windows I did (on a thread in the Men's Clothing forum). Engineered Garments is a lot like the greige brand in leading the trend (in understated street and casualwear) in terms of getting a lot in inspiration from pre-Depression work and military wear, which I really think is one of the better emerging trends. It's quite distinct from the classic cut, and there are are lots of cool, understated and hidden details, like the contrasting corduroy under the cuffs, and red taping inside. There is the X reinforced stitching under the collar, and the front chest pockets are welt pockets rather than patch pockets. The denim is a dark rinsed denim about 10 ounce weight. Really a cool jacket, and if I could pull off the denim tuxedo look, I might actually get one myself. I can get people in touch with Gary if you guys are interested. Here are some links to decent pictures: Engineered Garments Jacket - details Engineered Garments jacket - front view

fkl118

Reaction score
I have a Lee Stormrider that I've had since the late 80's. Back then everybody had one. Something like this:
MCC64.jpg
I don't wear it much anymore. Is it still popular or am I completely out of touch with the streetwear scene?

JohnMC

Reaction score
Get Smart - you are right. The 506XX (also called Type II) is the holy grail of denim jackets. Denime makes a copy of it that's even better, but its a pain *********** to find.

I love denim jackets.. I wear them over hoodies quite often.
The 506XX buckleback is type 1 the 507XX is the type 2 or second edition.

stache

Reaction score
fkl I think that your jacket would look fine with the addition of a leather collar.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD,April 28 2005,18:05
Get Smart - you are right. The 506XX (also called Type II) is the holy grail of denim jackets. Denime makes a copy of it that's even better, but its a pain *********** to find. I love denim jackets.. I wear them over hoodies quite often.
The 506XX buckleback is type 1 the 507XX is the type 2 or second edition.
yep that is correct. Â 1940s 506xx = type 1, for those keeping track. i believe the 507xx type 2 had the 2 chest pockets and no buckleback, looking more like the standard Levis jacket.

fkl118

Reaction score
fkl I think that your jacket would look fine with the addition of a leather collar.
Never mind, I've discovered it's a full size too small for me now. ie. I'm a size fatter now. BTW, I am totally out of touch with the streetwear scene. Back to the main board for me.

Sammyman

Reaction score
The only jean jacket I have isn't even blue. I picked up a Patagonia one a few years ago on sale. The best description I would have for the colour would be wine red. But it looks more like a Carhartt jacket than a Levi's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads