• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Main-d'or Bespoke is ¥290,000 JPY. Hollowed shoe trees (or badger tail shoe trees) are extra ¥35,000. ¥325,000 comes out to under $2900 USD.

2 trials. 2nd fitting shoes is fully wearable, and tried on for a month or more.

His atelier is located seriously in the middle of nowhere. Plans are underway for him to do hold trunk shows at a renowned tailor in Ginza.

Thanks Robin. I'll be paying him a visit in June. I hope he won't be too difficult to locate with Google maps!

Ltin

Reaction score
Just came back from Japan and from meeting with Murata-san aka Main-d'or for the delivery of my second pair, a black plain-toe derby.
I was really satisfied with the round toe last for which Murata-san made my first pair (brown adelaide brogues oxford), so I was confident that it would look great on a simple, classic 'plain' toe.

A lot of folks in the industry (in Japan) consider him one of the best, if not the best, maker around. His styling and last designs were more polarised in opinions though. Over the years, I think he made efforts to improve the latter and as far as I can see now, he makes lovely round toes that also fits very well. He does everything alone from beginning to the end. He used to also make the trees by himself, now the talented Ide Yosuke makes it.

The shoes take an awful long time to finish, but the making is nothing short of flawless. He finishes all shoes to a presentation-shoes level. Why finish a pair of shoes (that are meant to be worn) to such a nth degree? Not practical, yes, but it it also speaks to Murata san's own principle of delivering his best for all of his creation (heard somewhere that he makes like one or two pairs a month). Admittedly, he doesn't think he is a good businessman. Anyway, the pictures below show the result.

How shoes were delivered when I entered the studio

3 Eyelet Derby. Always wanted a pair, and waited for a long time to find a suitable shoemaker to craft them.

A classic pattern on a lovely round toe last. Came out quite nice.

No one does soles like Main d'or

Yes it will be ruined upon the first walk, but what the heck. Otherworldly sole.

Hollowed shoe trees.

Along with sample shoes.

How fiddled waist should look!

Lovely round toes. The one on the right is the new version with the last tweaked. Getting close to a perfect round.

18 api on his new sample shoes (different one from above). Not recommended for real world use, he says.

OMG
shog[1].gif
I'm falling in love with your shoes,Robin! It's so awesome!!
Would you mind telling me how do we contact Murata-san?

Last edited:

Jacke

Reaction score
Main-d'or Bespoke is ¥290,000 JPY. Hollowed shoe trees (or badger tail shoe trees) are extra ¥35,000. ¥325,000 comes out to under $2900 USD.

2 trials. 2nd fitting shoes is fully wearable, and tried on for a month or more.

His atelier is located seriously in the middle of nowhere. Plans are underway for him to do hold trunk shows at a renowned tailor in Ginza.

That wasn't much at all. Do you know if he speaks English? And btw, your shoes looks great!

Jacke

Reaction score
Unfortunately he doesn't.
I've been getting a Japanese friend to write emails for me. It's a tedious process.
I don't think I will have the time to travel to middle of nowhere this trip. So I guess that gives me time to learn japanese as well.
biggrin.gif

Jtchinoy

Reaction score
Is the Japanese vocabulary when talking to these makers about shoe construction very specialized?
Wondering if it's possible to get through the ordering and fittings on daily conversation.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think I will have the time to travel to middle of nowhere this trip. So I guess that gives me time to learn japanese as well. :D

Aye....
After starting to appreciate shoes more.... I suddenly realise the usefulness of learning Japanese....
Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments folks!!!

OMG
shog%5B1%5D.gif
I'm falling in love with your shoes,Robin! It's so awesome!!
Would you mind telling me how do we contact Murata-san?

Main-d'or Email: [email protected]

and yes, Unfortunately Murata san doesn't speak Japanese English

and yes, Japanese have their own terms/vocabulary for shoemaking / shoe parts :dozingoff:

Last edited:

casadisartoria

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share some info on Foster & Son's upcoming trunk show in Tokyo from the 6th to 11th of April, for those that live out there or will be visiting during that time. As you all may know, Emiko Matsuda is their senior shoemaker. See some pics and details below:

Cheers!

Visits are by appointment only.
Please email: [email protected]
or telephone: +44 207 930 5385
ANA Intercontinental Tokyo 1-12-33 Akasaka Minatoku Tokyo 107-0052

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
What type of leather/which tannery was used on the Main d'Or shoes? Absolutely stunning!

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the comments folks!!!
Main-d'or Email: [email protected]

and yes, Unfortunately Murata san doesn't speak Japanese

and yes, Japanese have their own terms/vocabulary for shoemaking / shoe parts :dozingoff:

What a fantastic thing for gaijin clients - a Japanese shoe maker that does not speak Japanese. I bet his mailbox is full today!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What type of leather/which tannery was used on the Main d'Or shoes? Absolutely stunning!

My black pair was made from Zonta calf. Really really nice. While he sources his leather from a local dealer, he is extremely selective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads