• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

o.e. by Egawa Osamu

An o.e. original, a **** is cut in the single piece upper prior to lasting. The **** not only relieves the stress from the single piece upper, it also becomes a delightful accent (contrasted with a tongue piece with a lighter shade of red).

interesting looking and sounding concept, but ultimately not quite my cup of tea... anyone has any real experience with it? I think most people can get good fit without unnecessary stress on instep easily enough just with proper lacing.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

interesting looking and sounding concept, but ultimately not quite my cup of tea... anyone has any real experience with it? I think most people can get good fit without unnecessary stress on instep easily enough just with proper lacing.

The **** is supposed to relieve stress to the leather when it is being lasted. I should have been more clear, its not about the feet.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose, there is a family resemblance somewhere!

LL

“Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I suppose, there is a family resemblance somewhere!

LL

“Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

With that big grin ( and of course that color ), and now that you bring out the Cheshire Cat (the British Shorthair, my favorite!) I find the shoes impossible to hate. :lol:

I think Egawa-san might really like your analogy, because he is going for that Victorian era charm

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
o.e. by Egawa Osama
Full Handmade MTO Shoes

Laced Double Monks

Captoe Oxfords

Shoes, big and small

Minature Wholecut Keychain, anyone?
Hand lasted, fully lined, with midsoles, toe and heel puffs and all.....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The above has the allure of Guilt of Crafts.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The above has the allure of Guilt of Crafts.

Haha, good eyes. Egawa-san was the former partner of Yamauch-san from Guild of Crafts (Guild was a 2 man show when they just started off 15yrs ago), and he was involved in creating a lot of Guild's staple designs we see today. Since they parted ways, Guild has expanded and adopted a workshop production model, and their MTO shoes are essentially semi-factory made (9/10 handmade). Egawa-san continues to make full hand made shoes from his 2-man atelier.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its possible to do hand welting on such tiny things
I think they are cemented, but not sure
They told me it was a major pain and took some time trying to make those keychains.... :)

These tiny shoes below do seem like they're hand bottomed and possibly hand welted. They're a bit bigger than the keychain one

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads