• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1. Not sure I get it.

:lol: for ¥30K ($300 USD), yes, they're very hard to swallow.

The maker claim the shape to be the most optimal form based on their experience as a last maker, and should fit better than the non-lasted shoe trees available from most high end shoe brands (JL, EG, CG etc....)

I personally think hollowing the trees would have made them more appealing. If they got something similar to St.C or JLP Bespoke, and for a lower price, then maybe I will consider. And of course, if your shoe brand provides lasted shoe trees, why bother getting these.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I understand 30k yen can also get you an outstanding meal at Jiro Ono's 3 michelin star sushi restaurant.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I dont care for sushi but I learned this from an excellent documentary called 'Jiro dreams of sushi' which I thought was about a hell of a lot than just sushi. I could almost see any of the great japanese shoe artists here in Jiro's place, saying exactly what he was saying and it would still make sense.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talking about yum sushis, I'm reminded of these all of a sudden..... :D

Marquess
Wing Cap Oxford
Carl Freudenburg Black Calf

http://marquess-bespoke.blogspot.jp

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That is much cheaper than I expected. Omakase, ya?
Will find out more about them when I talk to their former boss.

Yes, omakase. ¥30K is among the costliest sushis in Japan :lol:

Back in the UK, the Kawaguchis did work for G&G too, and I remember Masa-san (iyorito) from G&G having a highest regard for their work. You may also want to ask Paul about other Japanese shoemakers who apprenticed under him, like Yukiko Ogawa (Benchmade) and Ryota Hayafuji.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much would a plate of famous (or infamous) Fugu Sashimi (pufferfish) set you back?

One more question: Do restaurants expect payment before serving the dish? - Inquisitive minds want to know!

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in the UK, the Kawaguchis did work for G&G too, and I remember Masa-san (iyorito) from G&G having a highest regard for their work. You may also want to ask Paul about other Japanese shoemakers who apprenticed under him, like Yukiko Ogawa (Benchmade) and Ryota Hayafuji.

That's ~$300, not too expensive for special occasions. But i thought those sushi served on teenage girls chest and butt to keep the temperature and oil intact would be more expensive...

Will do. Didn't ask Dean regarding Kawaguchi as their interview on Last didn't mention they worked for G&G (or EG during the earlier days.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much would a plate of famous (or infamous) Fugu Sashimi (pufferfish) set you back?

One more question: Do restaurants expect payment before serving the dish? - Inquisitive minds want to know!

That plate looks like its for 3-4 people on a standard 27cm plate. Expect to pay around ¥2000 per person, so that plate should set you back ¥8000. Would cost more @ nicer restaurants with presumably higher grade pufferfishes.

Pufferfishes used to cost A LOT because of scarcity and also for the difficulty to prepare. But nowadays you can eat pufferfishes pretty much in any Japanese restaurant, as they are now 'farmed' and mass produced.

You pay after dinner here in Japan, unless you're at some fast food joint (ramen, soba etc....). Nicer restaurants have a 10% service fees included, no need to tip.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's ~$300, not too expensive for special occasions. But i thought those sushi served on teenage girls chest and butt to keep the temperature and oil intact would be more expensive...

Haha, what you're talking about is a criminal activity (involving underage girl), and yes there have been public scandals involving such and government bureaucrats. I guess you can still find body-sushi service if you look for it? but such stores are probably considered a part of the sex industry and regulated as such. I honestly think 'body sushi' is more popular overseas than in Japan :lol:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Will do. Didn't ask Dean regarding Kawaguchi as their interview on Last didn't mention they worked for G&G (or EG during the earlier days.

Yeah, I saw it on their bio on MENS EX interview and on their website. Says they did jobs for GG, EG, and FS. The LAST interview didn't name the firms they did outwork jobs for.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That plate looks like its for 3-4 people on a standard 27cm plate. Expect to pay around ¥2000 per person, so that plate should set you back ¥8000. Would cost more @ nicer restaurants with presumably higher grade pufferfishes.

Pufferfishes used to cost A LOT because of scarcity and also for the difficulty to prepare. But nowadays you can eat pufferfishes pretty much in any Japanese restaurant, as they are now 'farmed' and mass produced.

You pay after dinner here in Japan, unless you're at some fast food joint (ramen, soba etc....). Nicer restaurants have a 10% service fees included, no need to tip.

I have seen better in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

fred astair

Reaction score

Marquess: The round toe last = love

There is Bespokepalooza party event going on at Isetan this Saturday, with 20 bespoke artists (shoes, tailors etc...) showing up all at once to take orders....
I'll pay a visit to Marquess and Yohei Fukuda at the event, hopely I can snap some pics

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I love the brown suede

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads