• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I remember back in 2019 they couldn’t give away the Ascari VT. I think I went through 3 for about $400 and one in deep sale. Now the color doesn’t do much for me but I’ll take a Jeff VT if made

The bottom one I dropped in the water right after I toon the pic and the pins turned antique silver haha I kinda miss my VT Montana though 😥

IMG_2847.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember back in 2019 they couldn’t give away the Ascari VT. I think I went through 3 for about $400 and one in deep sale. Now the color doesn’t do much for me but I’ll take a Jeff VT if made

The bottom one I dropped in the water right after I toon the pic and the pins turned antique silver haha I kinda miss my VT Montana though 😥

View attachment 2116247
View attachment 2116249
Well there you go mate. The perils of taking your JMMs to the beach!

Those beloved VT Ascaris - along with the tasty coloured frame they look really cool with the bright green lenses.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The numbers for me are in a distant place on the priority list, a long way behind shape, size, colour, wiring, build quality etc.

As I’ve said here before if I see a frame in a style, size and colour that I really like and it fits me I’ll jump on it and only later reflect that it’s somewhat cool to know there are only X number of people on the planet with the same shades but it’s not really a driver of my desires.

It's my sentiment as well, a limited number is absolutely secondary for me.

But knowing you are one of the 50 individuals all over the world wearing a certain frame is pretty cool, can't deny it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Research has thought me that a small brand in its first few years produces between 60 and 250 pieces per style. This is usually broken down into roughly 30-50 pieces per colour. I listened to an interview with Katy Vada recently who backed this up. A medium sized brand produces around 450-500 pieces per style per season so in actual fact Jaques Marie Mage are producing a lot of frames, it's just they were the first brand to start numbering them. In my opinion collectors should be more focused on collecting the frames instead of looking at the numbers on the side because the numbers mean nothing. What's great about JMM is that they design a frame and a year later it's gone. I'd love to get my hands on a Felix but it's been gone for years. Only available secondhand at an overinflated price on Ebay.

Maybe it's true for the most models, but sometimes they come back. The Fontainebleau is an example, or recently the Sandro, although in a slightly different version. There are then the classics which always come back in new colourways.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment. Who is copying Jerome? If you look back through time in terms of eyewear, every designer or new micro brand is paying homage to something from the past. There really is no new innovation in design terms becoz there is only so much you can re-hash. Jerome is no different. Same shi#t, different take, different material, different finish.

As craft and technology advance over time, the quality of end product is the only thing that separates the men the from boys, and this certainly builds reputation. As of now Jerome is doing his best to compete with the best. Will that continue? Who knows, but I have noticed a slide in the last 12 months, kinda like he is trying excessively to cover all bases in terms of style and variety, at the cost of quality.

Not sure about declining quality, but I agree about that Jerome has not invented new shapes, he just redesigned some styles with a nice personal touch, using impressively thick acetate, what makes a lot in visual presence.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why has there never been a vintage tort enzo is my question

Yes, as well as other classics, with the exception of Molino and Dealan for Mr Porter (in Vintage Tort 3, though).

My guess is that they only had a very limited stock of material, which once gone, is forever defunct, sadly.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluenose