• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no im not saying that and im not saying just specifically for the camo pairs just the whole idea of "limited" in general.

im just saying dont always believe the hype. maybe they did a sample run with the factory for camo colorways and didnt like the turn out and called it limited and got rid of them? nobody knows. We know they have the mold for these models and a very good relationship with the manufacturers to give them a lot of wiggle room but i highly doubt that they produced just a small amount of Camo Acetate to make 50 pairs.

Of course not, they’ve released fatigue before in multiple frames. This isn’t the first fatigue drop.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes im aware so whats "limited" lol

But if you were aware then you’d know they obviously didn’t produce a brand new batch of camo acetate for this 50 pairs haha.

to answer your question, it’s ‘limited’ in that there’s only 25 pairs made in that colorway for that model. That much is true. And he won’t re-release the same one in the future. Maybe an alteration, but never again the *exact* one. I don’t buy into the hype either whatsoever, just stating why they use that verbiage. It’s technically not incorrect.

jeaniusog

Reaction score
a chinese factory can produce those tmw at 1:1. only difference is it says MANDCRAFTED and difference in acetate quality obviously because thats where they make the money. there is no proprietary technology JMM has over anyone else to make these frames, thus none of these are limited. its not like luxury watches where each maker has their own proprietary technology that cant be duplicated

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a chinese factory can produce those tmw at 1:1. only difference is it says MANDCRAFTED and difference in acetate quality obviously because thats where they make the money. there is no proprietary technology JMM has over anyone else to make these frames, thus none of these are limited. its not like luxury watches where each maker has their own proprietary technology that cant be duplicated

I really don’t even know how to argue with somebody who’s claiming that no brand can state they have a limited edition release of something if they don’t have proprietary technology and another factory can replicate it.

This is a borderline silly argument on your behalf. I’m with you on that it’s overhyped, but what you’re falling back on as the basis of your argument is non-sensical.

jeaniusog

Reaction score
JMM wakes up one day, looks at the left over fatigue acetate blocks in the warehouse and goes, hey lets make "limited" dealans and devaux, i want to get rid of them and make some more room in the warehouse and so i can go on vacation next week is not limited to me. and im not arguing brother. its all love lol this is just my perspective/opinion

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JMM wakes up one day, looks at the left over fatigue acetate blocks in the warehouse and goes, hey lets make "limited" dealans and devaux, i want to get rid of them and make some more room in the warehouse and so i can go on vacation next week is not limited to me. and im not arguing brother. its all love lol this is just my perspective/opinion

So if any designer/clothing company owner wakes up and has an idea to produce something with existing materials, which they haven’t released before, nor will ever release again, that isn’t limited in your opinion.

Got it. We’re done here lol

jeaniusog

Reaction score
So if any designer/clothing company owner wakes up and has an idea to produce something with existing materials, which they haven’t released before, nor will ever release again, that isn’t limited in your opinion.

lol they can claim its "limited" "exclusive" "rare" whatever they want. im just saying im not buying into it and its not just about the fatigues. I love you bro you win

jeaniusog

Reaction score

and funny you bring up clothing. thats exactly what some do , if you knew behind the scenes. They have sample pieces, left over pieces that were tucked away from past collections. they come across it one day and they can tax people for it, or some bless their followers at 50-70% off. not saying thats what JMM should do. but makes you question why such a limited 25 pieces are the same retail price? not Last frontier or Umit benan prices?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they just bought some leftover camo acetate from T. Henri

https://thenri.com/products/corsa-camolux
1692634302657.png

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and funny you bring up clothing. thats exactly what some do , if you knew behind the scenes. They have sample pieces, left over pieces that were tucked away from past collections. they come across it one day and they can tax people for it, or some bless their followers at 50-70% off. not saying thats what JMM should do. but makes you question why such a limited 25 pieces are the same retail price? not Last frontier or Umit benan prices?

Lol this isn’t some ‘behind the scenes knowledge’, this is fairly well known.

And my man I’m not trying to argue with you or pick a fight, your logic is just full of holes.

Last Frontier is embellished with turquoise and way better materials (and better finishing). That’s the reason for the higher price, not for the ‘exclusivity’ (although that’s partially factored in as well).

I just think you misunderstand the term ‘Limited Edition’. You’re equating it to something it’s not, nor ever has been. Proprietary technology that can’t be replicated, etc…..this is not correlated with a limited edition release in any way.

Anyhow let’s move on.

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just received a pair of Devoto's and they are substantially lighter (9mm acetate as opposed to 10mm, not surprising and I don't mind) but they now say handcrafted in Italy on the temples as well as the certificate card. Is this a new thing? All my other JMM are MIJ and the quality certainly shows. The exposed temples show some sort of gunk or glue inside acetate as well. Honestly, pretty disappointing as the quality compared to Dealan's are night and day.

*Updated with some images from mr porter which show the model clearly says handcrafted in Italy but the descriptions still say handcrafted in Japan.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.53.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.53.06 AM.png
    537.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.53.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.53.13 AM.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag