• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket too short?

Ojejku

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im trying to find myself new suits and recently bought two made by Douglas Hayward but there was something odd about them and I've realized that suit jacket seems to be extremely short compared to sleeve. Is that something normal/acceptable? Would expect that something from Douglas Hayward will have more classic proportion. Should I just buy bigger size and alternate it?
Thanks for help!
20200718_160632.jpg
20200718_160651.jpg
20200718_160717.jpg
20200718_160733.jpg
20200718_160750.jpg
20200718_160825.jpg
20200718_160836.jpg
20200718_160847.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing up is not the answer.
What is the nature of the garment? Is this made to measure? Ready to wear? Is this an online purchase?

Ojejku

Reaction score
Ready to wear bought online so I could return that anytime soon. Wool, half lined. Shame because I love the colour and material but if it not fits it doesn't matter.

Res

Reaction score
Wait.. The sleeves and length look fine?? You want it at that length, just above the crotch and will always want the dress shirt sleeves to be showing, looks good especially if you have cuff links.

Looks well fitted. You just need to hem the pants. Otherwise the jacket looks perfectly fine.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose some of this is a matter of personal preference and taste.

For me, the sleeves are too short. Yes you want some cuff to be showing but that’s too much. And that’s when you’re standing still. Wait until you start moving.

as for the length of the jacket, I’m sorry but that is just objectively too short. Your ass should not be exposed.

The jacket looks good otherwise through the shoulders and waist. It just needs to be longer. That’s why I asked if this was a short or regular length.

Ojejku

Reaction score
Is it a short or regular?
That's a regular size. Maybe long version would do with a bit of tailor help.

The reason why I'm asking about lenght of a jacket is my previous suit which had longer jacket and I've got a picture (only picture btw) of it so we could compare what looks better. Sorry for the mess in my room and suit condition but it is how it came to me. Size 40R, ready to wear, wool, three pieces from Moncrief London.
Maybe I should get Moncrief back as it's clearly longer.

20200719_113614.jpg

Toninno

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im trying to find myself new suits and recently bought two made by Douglas Hayward but there was something odd about them and I've realized that suit jacket seems to be extremely short compared to sleeve. Is that something normal/acceptable? Would expect that something from Douglas Hayward will have more classic proportion. Should I just buy bigger size and alternate it?
Thanks for help! View attachment 1426300 View attachment 1426301 View attachment 1426302 View attachment 1426303 View attachment 1426304 View attachment 1426307 View attachment 1426308 View attachment 1426309
That’s the style believe it or not.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different brands are going to fit and wear differently. A regular length in one brand is not going to be the same across others.

How tall are you? If that jacket is the regular, you may want to go long.

Measure the jacket you like from the bottom of the collar down to the hem. Use that as your standard and see if you can find that when browsing online. It will at least give you a starting point.

Reaction score
I am very conservative in my tastes (jackets should come down to the knuckle of the thumb in my closet) but even taking that into account I think the jacket is too short.

Form7

Reaction score
I may be a novice suit shopper, but I can say that every suit I've tried all have your butt showing. It doesn't seem uncommon in most modern looks. Only difference I've seen is in sleeve length, still the butt always shows. If you go long (L) the sleeves will be much longer and will need to cut them as well as the length will much longer than expected.

This is just from what I see. I guess the suit designers are moving away from boxy, draping cuts to slim modern looks. I see it everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads