• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
Could always just throw it in the dryer to shrink it a little... I think willycheesesteak said that he had his tailor slim up the sleeves on his. I've heard its pretty cheap and easy for a tailor to do, but I still don't know if I trust the tailors (drycleaners) around me to not screw it up. That said, I don't find the loose sleeves to be too much of a problem: either I'm wearing a jacket/sweater over them so you can't see them, or if I'm not- I have them rolled up and then its not noticeable. For me thats actually the upside of looser sleeves...on the flip side its a pain ********** to roll up the sleeves on my BOO shirts b/c the sleeves are so slim.
Yeah I had him take in the sleeves and the body. From the S/S 09 thread:
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
Here's my grey one I got tailored with the sleeves+body taken in and armholes raised:
fit.jpg
Highly recommend altering it, especially since after you can roll down the sleeves and it will still look good. Also did the same for my blue one.

It turned out pretty well. Here's what he did:
shirt.jpg
Videos of the seams: -outer -inner

And I got it done here if you're in the NYC area:
Pablo @ Stanton Tailor Shop Stanton Tailor Shop on Yelp

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsuya
Chest size? I'm trying to figure out my size.

I wear a 38/39 L suit.
My chest measures 38.5".
The JCrew sweaters I own are S though, not M.

matsuya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I wear a 38/39 L suit.
My chest measures 38.5".
The JCrew sweaters I own are S though, not M.

I'm 5'8, 160 lbs, 39 chest, 31 waist, 15.5 32/33 shirt, broad shoulders. Am I a small or medium?

pokpok

Reaction score
stopped by jcrew but they didnt have the red chambray, wanted to check it out in person.

theres so many madras, ginghams, plaid lightweight shirts this season...its ridiculous. some of the colors looked awful, some u/o type crap, didnt expect to see those colors at jcrew.
confused.gif

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'8, 160 lbs, 39 chest, 31 waist, 15.5 32/33 shirt, broad shoulders. Am I a small or medium?
You're definitely right in between. More likely a small though. Any 'Smalls' out there with some input?

FRAIS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Stopped into a Jcrew today in hopes of checking out the red chambray but they didn't have it. Instead I left with the nailhead oxford utility shirt. Wow, talk about a thick, stiff shirt. Someone said this feels more like something you would find at a place like Self Edge then J Crew and I would agree. Just an incredibly thick and stiff fabric, I love it.

I picked up the Nail Head and the red chambray this week from JCrew. I personally like the Nail Head shirt more than the red chambray, it has such a good thick feel to it. I'm friends with some1 who works @ the Mens Shop in soho and apparrently the guys @ RRL went nuts when 1 of the JCrew employees walked in with the NH shirt on.

dunelly

Reaction score
how's the nailhead shirt sizing
is it at least decently slim or is it baggy like some of the utilities

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
I love my Cadet Jacket (I posted fit pics about 10 pages back btw). It runs small and very close to the body, perfect spring jacket IMO. The epaulets dont bother me, they dont "loop" over or anything. Very cool jacket.

I think those pictures are what made me look for the coat when I went to the store..
laugh.gif

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
I am 5'8 160 on bad days (I am around 155). I wear a Small in J.Crew Sweaters.

I'd get a small... i'm 6'0 165 and can pull off a small unless you are willing to get a medium tailored. For shirts that I expect to wear un-tucked and roll up the sleeves I get a small, I get a medium for other types of shirts.

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think those pictures are what made me look for the coat when I went to the store..
laugh.gif

Glad I can help man. It's a great jacket, and fits very unlike any other J.Crew outwear I have ever seen. Kind of overpriced IMO, but I use my student discount on everything.

Your fit pics are on point too with that jacket !
smile.gif

btw; I saw the dude who posted the red chambray (dinomight @ SuFu) working at the store on Broadway. He posted here a few times, and I think as of now....he is rocking that shirt better then anyone else I have seen.

FRAIS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly

I dont own any other utility shirts from J crew but it fits slightly baggier than the chambray
im about 6'3 , 180 lbs and I took a small ... I was swimming in a medium

aktao

Reaction score

You're definitely a medium.
I'm 5'7, 145, 38 chest, 28 waist, 15.5 32/33 shirt, muscular upper body. I am a J Crew medium because the smalls are tight in the chest area (standing up straight, not slouching), and the neck on the small is too small for me, as it would be for you too.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly

it's slightly more slim then their regular utility shirts. I have a khaki utility shirt and one of their chambrays and the nailhead fits noticeably smaller then those two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads