• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J crew ludlow alternative?

sjbush

Reaction score
I'm a relatively young guy looking for a suit that reflects that. I'm also new to buying suits so I don't entirely know what I'm doing. I really like the look of the j crew ludlow. I'm reading on this forum that could get better quality for the same price point elsewhere. I'm fine with that. Can you point me to an good alternative that is similar is cut? If it helps, I'm 6-0", 185lbs. (not sure I can pull off the ludlow). Every OTR suit I've tried is too wide in the shoulder for my chest size. Any recommendations?

My choices are very limited in terms of local stores. I'm guessing I'll end up purchasing online. But I'm very hesitant to do so without trying it on first. I get frustrated because every website I go to has a slim fit, modern fit, very slim fit, classic fit, etc. They all have there own definition. Without trying them on, I don't know if they will fit properly. Any advise? How do you all purchase?

Next question, what is everyone's opinion of cotton suits? Will they stay in style for years to come? I like the casual look and am leaning towards that. Will I find one in a medium gray? Or do they usually come in lighter colors?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a long thread with lots of good info on Suitsupply. Their prices are comparable to J Crew and quality is better IMO. They also have several cuts, see their website and the thread for more details. IMO Suitsupply's fabrics can be a little too jazzy for business but they still have several navy gray and charcoal fabrics too. The other good news is that they are expanding, plus they do free shipping both ways so if your choice doesn't work out you don't get stiffed for shipping costs.

Cotton is appropriate in the warmer months, and generally less business/formal events. Nothing wrong with it per se, but not a good choice for your first couple of suits.

Last edited:

zerostyle

Reaction score

There's a long thread with lots of good info on Suitsupply. Their prices are comparable to J Crew and quality is better IMO. They also have several cuts, see their website and the thread for more details. IMO Suitsupply's fabrics can be a little too jazzy for business but they still have several navy gray and charcoal fabrics too. The other good news is that they are expanding, plus they do free shipping both ways so if your choice doesn't work out you don't get stiffed for shipping costs.

Cotton is appropriate in the warmer months, and generally less business/formal events. Nothing wrong with it per se, but not a good choice for your first couple of suits.

I think the difference, though, is that you can often get JCrew at a considerable discount. Their $300-$400 blazers can usually be found for $200 on sale. It doesn't seem that SuitSupply ever runs sales.

OP, let me know what you find. The Ludlow fit is almost perfect on me - chest/waist/length. The only problem for me is the shoulders are about 0.5-1" too wide which leads to a bit of puckering in my arms. Another gripe is their skinny lapels, but in a 38 it's not too bad.

I've been looking for an inexpensive ($200 or less) casual slim blazer for a long time but haven't had much luck for any of these reasons:
- shoulders too wide
- length too long in 38R but too short in 38S (ludlow is perfect in an R!)
- functional buttoncuffs (this trend needs to f*ing die)
- not a fan of patch pockets, but could deal with this

Of the current offerings, here's what I've seen:

H&M / Gap / Old Navy - low quality

Uniqlo - really high button stance, fairly low quality, maybe could be ok

SuitSupply - need to check in person, but pricey and has functioning buttoncuffs. Also, according to their measurements, they have very wide shoulders.

BB Fitzgerald/Regent Blazers - nice, but $400

Charles Tyrwhitt blazer - didn't like how it fit on me- had an odd V shape to it

Banana Republic Tailored fit - I'm told these are nice and plan on checking them out. Unfortunately, it seems their current navy blazer offering is 3 button instead of 2 button (ugh)

Anyone I'm missing?

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boglioli for less than $200 on sale. Less than $100 for defect.

RL Black Label suits for ~$400 on sale.

Go to work.

Last edited:

zerostyle

Reaction score

Boglioli for less than $200 on sale.  Less than $100 for defect.

Go to work.

I was looking at Boglioli , LBM 1911, etc, but I think the recurring problem was functional buttoncuffs! This is really annoying since I almost always have to have my sleeves adjusted by 1.5"+, which means expensive alterations.

Where are you seeing Boglioli for those prices?

svelten

Reaction score

Boglioli for less than $200 on sale.  Less than $100 for defect.

Go to work.
Where are you seeing Boglioli for those prices?

I'm not even sure if this is trolling or sarcasm. It's not remotely frequent that you can pop in and bag a $100 Boglioli or $400 RLBL suit, and trying to find a used suit on the Buy&Sale in the color, cut and size that you want (without even trying on) is not good advice for someone new to buying suits. Let's stick to realistic options where he can walk in a store and get something he sees and likes.

What about Indochino? Take some measurements of yourself and see what you run with

Last edited:

zerostyle

Reaction score
I know roughly the measurements I need:

Shoulders: 17-17.5"
Chest: 20-20.5" P2P
BOC Length: 28-29"

Trying to find these super rare sales is hard, especially if you need a common size (38) in a staple solid color (navy).

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a Benjamin Classico suit from eHaberdasher. It's a fully canvassed, slim-fitting suit for just a little over $500. Definitely a great value for the money. Check out the official affiliate thread for more info. Also, their customer service is great. If you're unsure of fit, you can buy 2 sizes and return the one that doesn't fit hassle-free.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/69315/www-ehaberdasher-com-affiliate-page

zerostyle

Reaction score
I actually already own a navy suti from them. I'm currently looking for a more inexpensive cotton blazer for the bars, though. Their fully canvassed blazers would be more like $350-$400 I imagine.

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually already own a navy suti from them. I'm currently looking for a more inexpensive cotton blazer for the bars, though. Their fully canvassed blazers would be more like $350-$400 I imagine.
Well, that was meant for the OP haha
tongue.gif

spitshine123

Reaction score
Get a Benjamin Classico suit from eHaberdasher. It's a fully canvassed, slim-fitting suit for just a little over $500. Definitely a great value for the money. Check out the official affiliate thread for more info. Also, their customer service is great. If you're unsure of fit, you can buy 2 sizes and return the one that doesn't fit hassle-free.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/69315/www-ehaberdasher-com-affiliate-page
Looks like a great deal, but no free shipping and returns right? Kind of hesitant buying a suit online without being able to return it for free if sizing doens't work out

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great deal, but no free shipping and returns right? Kind of hesitant buying a suit online without being able to return it for free if sizing doens't work out
There's a code for SF users for free shipping -- I believe it's simply SFFRSHIP. Search the official affiliate thread. I believe Ben himself even advocated people to buy 2 sizes if they were unsure of sizing and return the one that doesn't fit free of charge.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads