• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Brown Herringbone Harris Tweed on ebay- please advise

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple things up on ebay:

I know J.Crew might seem pedestrian by SF standards, but this sportcoat really has some nice touches (working buttonholes, excellent 3-to-2 roll). Please check out my listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-J-Crew-brown...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, I have a new-in-box bottle of YSL's M7 Fresh up on ebay, should anyone here be interested in that:http://cgi.ebay.com/BNIB-100ml-YSL-M...QQcmdZViewItem
SOLD, thanks for all the pointers

These are the very first things I've ever sold on ebay (though I do have a 100% positive feedback rating over at Basenotes), so please critique my listings. Anything that should be added or edited? I plan to include the actual measurements of the jacket once I can find a tape-measure, but any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've done a great job including closeups of the jacket/multiple pics of the perfume. As a buyer, that goes a long way to getting me to bid. My main concern about the jacket listing, aside from the lack of measurements, is the quality of the main picture. The main pic is a straight-ahead shot, which I've found less effective than ones closer to a 3/4 view. And, worse, it's a bit blurry. If you could upgrade that one, you might get more folks clicking into the auction to see the others. Also, it might be worth mentioning the working buttonholes either in the header or in a subtitle -- bidders seem to eat that up.

Another suggestion: You might consider splitting the boilerplate from the advertising copy. That way, there's a break between the glowing description and the business of returns, etc. The pause lets the desirable traits sink in, really emphasizing the desirability of the item. Combining the description and return policy often creates a sudden tone shift that takes the focus from the item itself, I think.

All that said, these look great for first auctions. Much better than the vast majority of stuff I see on eBay.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks very much Doc, I'll get some better pics for the main shot. I've found the herrinbone-ness to be a bit tricky with my midgrade camera, but I'll work on it.

I agree about the whole Block Of Text problem, but I noticed that even when I added spaces and indents, Ebay disregarded those and gave me a big paragraph layout. How is it that everyone gets those nice page layouts?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HTML. You don't have to be a webpage designer. Just google it and start with learning some basic tags.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, <br><br> is your friend. (Two line breaks, i.e. an empty line between paragraphs.)

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think your HTML is too bad at all (though it's possible that you could have revised your auction before I saw it).

I also agree with Doc about sleeve measurements. Speaking as a 40S, I can say with certainty that providing sleeve measurements could be worth a bid or two
tounge.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, I'm working on measurements right now. A question though:

for the arm length, I'm told I should measure from the cuff up to where the sleeve meets the jacket. Fair enough, but do I do this at the longest point (outside the arm up to the to the seam atop the shoulder) or at the shorter (under the arm to the armpit, the "inseam" of the sleeve if you will)?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longer. Both, if you prefer, but the outside measurement is far more important, and if you only provide one, it's what people will assume.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Longer. Both, if you prefer, but the outside measurement is far more important, and if you only provide one, it's what people will assume.
much appreciated Arethusa-

I did the measurements and came up with this. Before putting them up on ebay, I'd like to run them by here to see if they are reasonable 40S proportions, or if I measured something wrong.

Length: just shy of 31 inches. call it 30 3/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 inches
Across the shoulders in back: 19 inches.

Sound like they were done right?
Thanks again to everyone, I promise to stop bumping the good god out if this thread once my listing is up for good
blush.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think a 30.5ish is normal length for a regular.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
You might want to look over Ask Andy's suit measurement guide. It's pretty useful.
very handy, thanks. I should have known to check through AAAC before barraging you guys with these FAQ. Turns out I was measuring the jacket length incorrectly, so the length of the collar was included. Disregarding that, I think its a proper S length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads