• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: The worst physical pain you've ever experienced

sjd

Reaction score
I've been kicked in the head by a horse when I was younger, gone over the handlebars on my bike and hit my head on the asphalt. I'm sure both resulted in a concussion but I never went to the hospital in either case.

However the worst pain I've ever experienced is much more recent. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12 years ago and have had surgery twice (1998 & 2000) there was several painful episodes associated with both surgeries and hospital stays (the first one was 6 weeks) I also had a fistula that was created from my intestine to my bladder but the worst pain is what I am suffering from currently, as frequently as once a week.

I've had some scar tissue resulting from my Crohn's and currently have a partial intestinal obstruction, which means if I eat something that gets "stuck" I can't have a bowel movement or pass any gas, so my stomach ends up bloating which means massive cramping, and I usually end up vomiting. But that doesn't always help. I have to stop eating for a day or two and usually end up writhing around in pain in bed for several hours. It's the worst feeling when you can't eat even though you are hungry and when your involuntary muscles cramp. The pain is a 10 out of 10 on my scale.

No pain medication, even when administered at the hospital, causes the pain to subside. However after trial and error I am now on a medication that seems to help, although I might need surgery again. There is still a long list of foods I can't eat such as nuts, popcorn. raw vegetables, etc.

I wouldn't wish Crohn's on anyone.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stabbed in the left shoulder area with a rather large kitchen knife during an attempted car jacking in San Francisco some years ago. The tip of the knife broke off and any sort of movement by my left shoulder was excruciatingly, mind-deadeningly, dear-heavenly-baby-jesus painful. But it only lasted a couple hours before the hospital hepped me up on tylenol 3 with codeine, and then all was right with the world.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This contusion in my hip is really been bothering me lately. Injury occurred 9/2009 and it is still not healed. I run when it feels better but anything more than 10 miles causes it to swell, weaken, increase pain to the point where I am limping afterward and the next day.

Car accident a few years back was really bad. I hit a tree in a pickup truck as I slid off a road at 60 mph. Broke my leg, arm, ribs. I remember looking up at the windshield while I lay on the bench seat and saw a reflection of my face covered in blood. i guess the light was from the fire department lights. Anyway, my leg was gashed open and I still have glass embedded deep in my forearm. The fleeting moments that I do remember were mainly of intense physical pain and blood everywhere.

I was in a fight when I was probably 8 or 9 at summer camp. A kid pushed me and I cut my back open on the rocks surrounding the camp fire. Then, I fell in to the camp fire. I spent about a month with the camp nurse.

A few years ago I had a friend who had some psychological issues. One incident resulted in the police being called to his home. The police thought I was him and shot me with a beanbag shotgun twice. Hit the side of my torso and my butt. Ouch is all I can say to that one. The officers on scene apologized with a nice letter. I appreciate their work so no hard feelings.

skyman

Reaction score
I had epidymititis (or however you spell it) that had spread and caused pain in my lower abdomen (I was to proud to go see a doctor to get medication or see what it was untill the pain was to much) about a week later a girl threw a calculator that hit me corner on straight on the infected duct. This resulted in unbearable pain where I could not walk or stand and a trip to A&E. Where I was subjected to some VERY painful examinations. I wish never to repeat that experience.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion

holy fff'in hell
eek.gif

Originally Posted by DentistCare
once at time in a party I fell down the stairs because someone throw water on the floor and not clean it, then I slipped and fell the stairs like in movies. I crack the coccyx and had to sit in an air donut for 2 months.
I was puke and I could not breathe through the pain, I went to ER and they gave me morphine for ******
oh god... i don´t want remember...
DC

http://desperesdentistry.com
http://www.justinbshortdentistry.com/

Greatest... Spam.. Ever.
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Polemarch

Reaction score
3 words,

Bone Marrow Biopsy.

About 2 years ago now. A 2.5mm thick needle first pucturing my skin, then being drilled, pushed, scraped into my pelvis bone by hand while I am fully conscious. No anasthetic. Quite agonising.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bulging disc at L5/S1. the most excruciating pain i have ever felt. i never knew the human body could withstand that much pain. the last week before surgery was the worst because i couldn't take any of the painkillers that thinned the blood. yeah, i would not wish low back problems on my worst enemy.

-Jeff

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLee
Back in the old days (1978) in the jungles in Nam took a three rounds from what was most likely a AK47. Two through the left shin and one through right shoulder. So bloody painful that all I remember was reviving in the copter and thinking that the world was nothing but pain and knowing that there wasn't enough morphine in any of our kits to help. An I was one of the lucky ones! Kidney stones, ACL's, broken legs, dislocated fingers, splinters in the eye are simply refreshing in comparison. Now I'm shivering just thinking back.

but the Vietnam War ended in 1975

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
but the Vietnam War ended in 1975
Lol, did JLee just make up that story?

Has anyone mentioned severe nausea yet? The worst I've ever felt was food poisoning in Cambodia- it envelops you're entire consciousness and you can't even rest enough to have a coherent thought, as the tension just constantly seizes you. I remember falling down in the middle of a lobby and then vomiting all over the hospital floor. Mind you this is accompanied by stomach pain and diarrhea.

darkdream

Reaction score
The worse pain I experienced was when I was in my very early teens and very healthy but I got angry to the point my nose started bleeding, coughing out blood, and finally I felt an intense pain in the heart and fell to the ground unable to move for quite a period of time. Seems nothing compared to what some of you have experienced, but then again I am probably younger than most of you.

allure

Reaction score
I've broke several bones, some cases extremely painfully, but the worst pain I've ever had is a toothache. Hellish, hellish toothache.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I caught an elbow in a basketball game that split my chin open. I was stunned and fell over, but got up an kept playing. I couldn't feel a cut because my chin was numb, but two possessions later I wipe my chin with the back of my hand and it was covered in blood. Turns out the cut was about the size of an almond. It needed 5 stitches, and the experience showed me what boxers must feel when their face is cut. I always thought those Q-tips must really hurt, but their face is probably numb, and they just feel the bruising and not the cut.

Last spring I fell on my knee playing basketball and fractured (shattered) my kneecap. I got up immediately with the intention to continue playing, but couldn't put any weight on my leg. Almost 12 months later and my knee is only 50% of what it was. I don't think it will ever fully recover. The physical pain wasn't all that bad, but it was emotionally tough to endure 2 months of physical inactivity.

Five years ago a propane tank fell on my big toe. The force was concentrated on a small area because those tanks have a thin metal ring so they can stand on the round bottom. It probably broke the toe, and my nail fell off and now grows in 2 separate pieces. The toe immediately started throbbing. Probably the worst pain I've felt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads