• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: The worst physical pain you've ever experienced

ceaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
Amen. I would equate it to someone stabbing me in the lower back and lifting me off the ground with the knife.
I don't know about being stabbed, but I can tell you from personal experience that they are indeed worse than being hit by shotgun pellets.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
I'll keep this brief. I was born in a small hospital with limited facilities. I was not circumcised. My dad always thought I should be. At thirteen, I was. Local anaesthesia made the actual surgery completely painless. The next day, though, I tried to urinate. Voila! Pain. Yes, this is 100% true.
Remember to put your dad in a cheap and abusive nursing home for revenge.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by volatility smile
Last 250m of a 2k. Probably worse than it seems, since it's entirely self-inflicted.
Originally Posted by why
The third split is the worst for me since I still have a sense of self-preservation that gnaws on my already-frayed nerves. At the turn of the fourth split I stop caring about the pain and that eerie syncopatic calm anaesthetizes my senses and worries. Pull recover pull recover pull recover recover recover recover recover recover recover recover.
For me, the worst part of a 2k happens in the 2nd 500m of the piece. I start with a power 20, which feels great, pull a power 10 at 1000m mark to re-establish myself, and sprint for the last 600m. It's that 2nd split, where you aren't really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet, and you have to hold the split without wasting too much energy or shortening the stroke too much, that kills you.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is no Onion-story, but it's the best I've got. Both stories I have involve what would likely have been severe pain, but I don't remember.

Story 1:
I was at a tennis tournament when I was about 12. I was running down the sidewalk to go to washroom between matches. There was a chain link fence that ran next to the sidewalk, and one that ran perpendicular to it. For some reason on the perpendicular running fence the steel post that the chain link is attached to (the horizontal part at the top fo the fence) was installed directly across the sidewalk and attached to the fence running next to the sidewalk. I woke up looking at sky with blood and bits of teeth in my mouth, a massive headache from a likely concussion from hitting the back of my head when I fell. I ran into the post at full gallup right between my nose and upper lip. Painfull, but I don't remember too much.

Story 2:
I remember nothing of this incident. I have retrograde and anteretrograde amnesia. I only know what I was told of after the fact. In law school, carrying 4 textbooks and a laptop in my backpack (it was a big backpack), I was on my bike going down a residential street to my bus stop two blocks away. The street had a slight decline. My brake line on the bike snapped and for some reason caused the front brakes to lock. My heavy backpack sent me ass over teakettle over the handlebars and I landed face first on the pavement (helmet no help). I hit on the left side of my face (cheekbone/cheek area) and shredded that side of face including my left ear (road rash). Apparantly I tried to brace myself when I fell and I had sprained both wrists and was in two slings for 2-3 weeks.

I was in a coma and woke up in the hospital in a massive neck brace with no idea where I was or what happened. Couldn't see out my left eye (it had swollen shut) for about a week and a half. I have only 3 very short (fraction of a second memories) over the next 3 months. Lost my photographic (eidetic) memory, had to relearn how to learn. To this day it still happens that I will be in conversation and will instantaneaously have no idea what I was talking about a half second before. Absolutely nothing there. Mind blank.

This whole thing was probably very painful, but I don't remember anything luckily. I count myself very blessed and lucky that nothing worse happened.

micbain

Reaction score
Reconstructive spine surgery. 16hr surgery. 22 bolts. 2 weeks @ hospital, 6 months @ home. Pain so strong, not even 100mg/day of oxycoton could dull.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting my broken arm reset with local anesthesia that was either misplaced, or simply did not kick in.

Still, it wasn't too bad. I've been lucky enough not have ever felt extreme physical pain.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not my worst but today was pretty painful, during my flip turn on my leg of the 200 relay for swim team i dislocated my shoulder while underwater and had to push it back in and keep swimming, i still had one more race after that and my coach wouldn't replace me so i had to swim in the 400 relay and it dislocated on my second flip turn but i had to push it back in again and continue

generalcalm

Reaction score
Worst, for me, was getting road rash (gravel, dirt etc) out of my bare back after sliding down a asphalt road post traffic accident. Thankfully I was fine in general, but the nurse had to 'scrub' the road rash out of my flesh with what appeared to be a metal scourer (like what is used for washing up dishes). I think knowing that it was being inflicted made it worse, along with how long it took and her continually stopping to ask 'are you ok?... are you ok?' every 5 seconds...

Followed closely by having a fingernail pulled out by a 'doctor' after a surfing accident crushed it.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 18 I had hyperuricimia, which caused Uric acid to crystalize in kidneys.
I went to a fair and rode some jarring ride.
Next day, had a back ache, by that evening, I had a fever and the pain was all over my midsection and groin.
By the next morning, the pain was beyond description and I would pass in and out of conciousness.
My dad found me passed out in a pool of bile in the bathroom.
He brought me to the hospital, where they canned me and saw that my right kidney was 4 times its normal size and begining to split.
For a short few moments they thought I had kidney cancer, but then realized I had these little "needles" jamming up my ureter.
I remember asking them to kill me, I could not tolerate the pain.

Second worst was a bone infection in my jaw caused by a rootcanal gone bad....FOK that really really hurt.

Guero

Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. At 19 I impolitely interrupted two young burglars breaking into my car. One hit me and broke my nose, the other shot me with a .25 caliber pistol while I was on the ground. The bullet entered one inch below my right ear and lodged at the base of my next, having missed my spine and carotid artery by about 1 cm. That s**t hurt. But it wasn't as bad as the time I inhaled pure calcium hypochloride (pool shock for those who have pools). A pool worker in Mexico, without realizing I was behind him, through a shovelful in my face and I promptly inhaled said shovelful. Burned my nasal passages and lungs raw in an instant. Yeow.

JLee

Reaction score
Back in the old days (1978) in the jungles in Nam took a three rounds from what was most likely a AK47. Two through the left shin and one through right shoulder. So bloody painful that all I remember was reviving in the copter and thinking that the world was nothing but pain and knowing that there wasn't enough morphine in any of our kits to help. An I was one of the lucky ones! Kidney stones, ACL's, broken legs, dislocated fingers, splinters in the eye are simply refreshing in comparison. Now I'm shivering just thinking back.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goalie in hockey; got sacked by a slapshot when my jock was out of position. It was one of those caught-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place deals, with a knad stuck between my leg and the edge of the jock. Dude winds up and rips a slapshot from the point, I go down like a sack of potatoes and cannot finish the game.

Pales in comparison to some of this stuff here, but that was probably the worst 30 seconds of my life.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
Well, the obvious questions: how did you manage to fall 2 1/2 stories, how bad did it **** you up, and did the doctors tell you something like "that windshield probably saved your life..." ? Inquiring minds, etc.

Sorry I missed this last month.

I was on a commercial roofing crew and was the guy on the edge of the roof while we were doing a tear-off. A couple of guys were horsing around and over I went.

I was remarkably minimally injured. Concussion-which explains everything
laugh.gif
, some spinal compression (the occasional back pain and shoulder drop I'll always be dealing with).

And yeah... the windshield probably did. landing on my back really mattered. Cannot imagine if I had landed feet or head first.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This chick at the Tui-na massage place really pushes down hard on my back with her elbow, guys. Really hard. It kinda hurts!

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Various sports injuries but debilitating chronic pain that you feel all day and night for months is much worse.
Originally Posted by onion
When I was 20, so 5 years ago, and 2 ******* days before Christmas, I got run over by a car (I was NOT in a car), and was pinned between a metal tool chest, and the bumper of the truck with my legs in the middle. Not only that, the truck was floored (literally the tires were smoking), as the accelerator had broken*. After about 30 seconds of the most intense pain I've ever experienced someone turned off the truck and moved it.
crazy.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Originally Posted by Guero
OK, I'll bite. At 19 I impolitely interrupted two young burglars breaking into my car. One hit me and broke my nose, the other shot me with a .25 caliber pistol while I was on the ground. The bullet entered one inch below my right ear and lodged at the base of my next, having missed my spine and carotid artery by about 1 cm. That s**t hurt.
Yikes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads