1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I like putting a few drops in soda water to taste bitters.

This is the barrel I bought last night in the 2 litre size:

[​IMG]

Plan to load it up with something on Labour Day weekend to be ready for the US Thanksgiving.

1 person likes this.
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Is it really printed with "Scottish drinking team" ??? Only the Scottish and Koreans could do something like that, I just saw "Korean drinking team" somewhere recently.

I drink bitters in cloudy lemonade quite often - Lemon, Lime, and Bitters. They don't sell a cloudy lemonade outside of the UK or Australia so I often mix a French cloudy lemonade with Sprite or something similar and then do the bitters at the top, like 10-15 shakes. Makes a good drink for someone addicted to fixing drinks for themselves, but trying to get off the bottle.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have gotten this except they spelled "whisky" funny:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My first try at ginger syrup is currently boiling away:

[​IMG]

Done. Full of peppery ginger flavour. I plan to make some Dark and Stormy tonight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

6. denning

denning Senior member

Pio,
    Make sure you report on the flavour of each. I am interested in the Bolivar and Jamaica no. 2.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Tasted the Blackstrap and the #2. The #2 is very floral/citrus smelling. Ditto on the taste, but of course, an underlying bitterness. Think fruit pith. The Blackstrap is dark, sweet, smokey, and very bitter. This one think bitter coffee.

8. denning

denning Senior member

I couldn't see it in the pic you put up, but did you get the cherry bark vanilla bitters as well?

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I bought the six pack so I have them all. This just arrived:

[​IMG]

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Used the Blackstrap to make a manhattan. Two oz Wiser's whisky, 1oz Noilly Prat sweet, seven drops Blackstrap. Too much! Next time only five drops. These are potent.

Flavour profile...smoky, dark, savory baking spice. Nice.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The Irish were making whiskey before the scots were, I'm gonna say that theirs is the correct spelling, if there is one.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What do you guys use to wash and polish your glasses? My hands are too big to reach the bottom and soap scum annoys me

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

those are probably mineral deposits from the water, I pour in white vinegar to cover and let them sit for awhile, then I wash them with the sponge. If you can't reach all the way in to clean, you should use a bottle brush (twss)

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

I fold a kitchen towel a couple of times lengthwise, then insert it gently in the glass. Then I twist it in one direction so it stacks up until it moves, do like ten laps that way and then in the opposite direction. It works for me and I haven't killed a glass that way so far.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Huh. I bought a bottle brush but it didnt remove the scum. I'll try vinegar thanks

I've tried kitchen towels in the past but it leaves behind these small fibers.

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Use a fresh, dry kitchen towel. Also use different ones -- cotton, linen etc. and see what works best. I have a rather stiff cotton one that doesn't leave behind fibers.

I think my method works for 90% perfection. Not sure how to get an immaculate shine though.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You're raised an interesting point. There is no doubt Bushmill's is the oldest legal distillery. There is no doubt the Irish claim distillation spread from Ireland to Scotland via the clergy (it was the purvey of the monks at one time and did not spread out of the monasteries until their decline). In this account, the Italians are credited with bringing distillation to Ireland, again via the clergy. So if we really want to follow that thread out...we have to credit the Italians for whisky.

However, there is also an established theory that the Vikings, who settled in Scotland before Ireland, brought distillation with them. We know some of the Vikings were mercenary guards for the Byzantine rulers in the 9th and 10th centuries. They participated in the Syrian wars and would have come in contact with the "water of life" one Abu Musa Jabir ibn Hayyan. He is known as the "Father of Modern Chemistry" and was apparently distilling many things, one of them being barley. It would make sense if the Vikings came upon this they soon had their aqua vitae (water of life). As "whisky" is a more English form of Gaelic, usquebaugh, or water of life.

Either way, I prefer it spelled the Scottish/Canadian way.

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

:hide:

I guess I'm the only one who does this. I buy cheap glasses and throw them in the dishwasher. All of my glasses cost around $2 - $3 a glass. Time saved and the lack of gnashing of teeth when one of my glasses is broken is worth it. Guests have already broke around 4 of my wine glasses and champagne flutes.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I sort of went the opposite way. We bought some Riedel Vinum to try out. Mrs. Piob has always hand washed those and we were using cheaper stuff for normal use. However, I just moved to Schott Zwiesel Fortes. We have Bordeaux and Burgundy now and will be getting a white wine, a collins, and a rocks glass from the line up. They are titanium crystal (vs. lead) which makes them far stronger and completely dishwasher safe. They will not get hazy etc. and come out of dishwasher looking fantastic. If you shop around, $7-8 a stem.