1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

The idea is good (there's also stainless steel ones). But I don't see a need to cool my whiskey.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Actually, if I want ice, I want it to melt a bit. I tend to buy cask strength and you actually need a little dilution so the alcohol is not at such a high level that your taste buds get shocked and you cannot taste all the subtleties. This is not to say I haven't kicked around the idea of whisky stones before but I always come to the same conclusion.

3. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

I agree that ice is needed if I am drinking my bourbon straight. I doubt these will get a ton of use from me, but I bought them for the cheap on amazon and figured it couldn't hurt to have them around in case they are needed. Perhaps only if a drink has been sitting out for a while and isn't cold anymore.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

I never have such problems.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Agreed. If you got them for a good price, why not?

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find some bourbons taste best on the rocks and others are best neat. I like Bullit and Buffalo Trace OTR but Woodford neat. To me, it has a lot to do with the amount of "spice" taste a bourbon has. The more it has the more likely I want it diluted a bit over ice.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

They have a very low heat capacity so they don't stay cold all that long. Occasionally useful though. I've used them to re-cool a drink that had ice and got neglected.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

So, do the stainless steel ones work better? I don't really know a lot about physics, but I'm quite certain that water retains heat (and therefore coldness) much better than stone or -- especially -- metal. So my idea of the ideal non-diluting cooling device would be something along the lines of a stainless steel "frame" in form of a cube that is filled with distilled water (obviously such that the frozen distilled water fits perfectly in the inner setting). Or probably silver (doesn't it react less to food in general -- ignoring egg and such?).

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Quick Googling informs me that soapstone has a significant higher heat capacity than steel, but the density is a lot lower. It's probably a wash in terms of cooling drinks. Silver would be worse than steel I believe. Nothing plausible is going to come close to water (ice), especially since it can melt and remove heat that way as well.

The best for cooling without dilution would probably be something like those reusable ice cubes. Little plastic fruits with water in them :happy: I've heard of people using frozen grapes to chill wine.

The stones (or steels) are just more aesthetically pleasing. You can always fish them out and add more if you need more chilling.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, I meant silver as the casing of the cube that's filled with distilled water.

Fuck it, I just smashed the glass of my Carl Mertens boston shaker.... :(
    I didn't like all the printed stuff on it, but the quality was very nice.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just ordered a few tiki things. Four mugs, some orgeat, and some falernum.

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Awesome. I always grab a cup when we're in Hawaii (it's been a while, though).

Got some pretty nice old fashioned glasses from Tiffany and Co. for our wedding. Something we'd never buy ourselves but they look nice on display on an old silver platter and the ingredients for a Negroni.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Have you tried or made an Old Fashioned? Very pleasing in a big, clunky tumbler.

14. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I've been mixing them since I was in college. I thought drinking them made me look more sophisticated than my roommates but I just looked like a douchebag. Still love them, though. I stopped probably six or eight months ago so I wouldn't tire of them. When I was 19 I bought (from a discount department store) a set of the heaviest old-fashioned glasses I could find. They were cheap, but still one of my best purchases.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I will admit I have paid them no attention until recently. I'm going to let it rest for a bit, to keep it new and fresh, but I'm taking away something I've been neglecting at home: zests. Right now I'm having a big Wisers and diet Coke with an eye dropper of VTR bitters and huge strip of orange zest. Very satisfying.

Also something I'm thinking of getting are some atomizers. This place I went to Tuesday the bartender was using them to "rinse" glasses then he would also mist the floating ice cubes in finished drinks. Very effective.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

I also like it sans zest. Didn't have oranges, so I tried using just a little bit of lemon peel. Angostura bitters and two drops of TBT orange bitters. Was interesting.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Putting the bitters in the atomizer? hmm.

I make a pretty elementary cocktail, to be honest. Actually, I like Maker's Mark or Knob Creek and Angostura bitters (haven't even bothered looking for anything else, though after all this talk I might start).

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

He had more things like absinth in the atomizers. Think along the lines of things you usually rinse a glass with or add a "splash" of. So instead of a splash of absinth, he would spray the ice cubes and top of the glass.

19. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

That's smart. I've seen people rub the rim with stuff because when you change the nose of the drink you basically change it's flavour.

hah, I actually worked with an Irish woman who's mother used to own a pub back home. She said that when patrons would get too drunk, her mom would just pour them water and rub with rim of the glass with whiskey and they were never the wiser!

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Hah, yeah, I've floated a bit of rye at the top of a drink for someone too shitfaced more than once.