ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a collection of martini glasses. I buy them in two's or four's when I find something I like. I have a lot with etched glass, a few with recycled glass, some tall some short and a few that are very contemporary. It is fun to give everyone a different glass when having a group over for drinks. The heavy recycled glasses are especially nice for shrimp cocktails, sorbet desserts or margaritas.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I am a fan of the Schott Zweisels as well, have a number of them. My Riedels also just spontaneously combusted. Spiegelaus are too heavy in the hand and feel cheap, had some chamapagne flutes and they all ended up broken anyway.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yooooooo. Heavy in hand is exactly how I would describe it. Hefty compared to the riedels. I do want more glasses for tastings tho. Maybe I'll get zweisel.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

O.M.G.

I've been using Velvet Tango Room bitters for my manhattans pretty much exclusively since 2010 when I visited the place. My usual mix is 4 oz Wiser's Canadian whisky and 1.25 or so vermouth, either Antiqua Formula or Noilly Prat, plus one full eye dropper of VTR bitters

Well, I get my six pack of Bittercube. The VTR bitters bottle is fair size, hold probably 6-8 oz. The Bittercube are a 2 ounce bottle. I was feeling a bit underwhelmed given their price. Let me tell you, five tiny drops from the eye dropper packs a wallop.

Also, filled the barrel with filtered water and will let it soak until the weekend to let it swell and stop any leakage:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. Piobaire

Laid down my first attempt at cask conditioning.

50 oz Wiser's Deluxe
    20 oz Noilly Prat sweet
    13 eye droppers Velvet Tango Room bitters

I'll take my first taste in a couple of weeks. Plan to bring home a 20cc syringe with a 14 gauge needle to use as my "wine thief."

6. Renton

Renton Senior member

I've had my eye on that for a while but is there a the real advantage of using that over the larger half of a Boston shaker?

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

I don't think so. At least the glass of the shaker works fine for me (the only possible difference is the thickness of the glass, i.e. the boston shaker glass can absorb more coldness leading to more -- whether it really makes a difference, I don't know-- dillution). But then again a real mixing glass has much more style. And this is styleforum after all. ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think the cask is a cool home bar toy, but I absolutely hate the branding across the front.

9. Renton

Renton Senior member

I'm perfectly fine with it having more style and that is reason enough, but I was curious if there was a practical reason.

10. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

well for about 20 usd on can get a 5 litre cask and have any simple or design you wish burnt on to it.

11. Piobaire

Bottom weighted to prevent tipping and the spout. Outside of that nothing but the aesthetics.

Next one will probably lack such a juvenile label but it tickled my fancy. I should know better than to order things when drinking.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

These are a closeup of some vintage French Bistro shot glasses. I love the heavy bottoms. They are supposed to be from the late 1800's. I use them for sipping a blanca tequila.

[​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Very nice; thanks for sharing those pics.

So the bar I was at Tuesday...uses vintage cocktail glasses. Must smaller, more elegant than the huge ones we usually buy these days. The bartender cruises thrift stores for them. He also just scored a really nice, large mixing glass.

14. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

15. Renton

Renton Senior member

I got a set for Christmas a few years ago, but I've yet to remember to use them.