• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a collection of martini glasses. I buy them in two's or four's when I find something I like. I have a lot with etched glass, a few with recycled glass, some tall some short and a few that are very contemporary. It is fun to give everyone a different glass when having a group over for drinks. The heavy recycled glasses are especially nice for shrimp cocktails, sorbet desserts or margaritas.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am a fan of the Schott Zweisels as well, have a number of them. My Riedels also just spontaneously combusted. Spiegelaus are too heavy in the hand and feel cheap, had some chamapagne flutes and they all ended up broken anyway.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yooooooo. Heavy in hand is exactly how I would describe it. Hefty compared to the riedels. I do want more glasses for tastings tho. Maybe I'll get zweisel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
O.M.G.

I've been using Velvet Tango Room bitters for my manhattans pretty much exclusively since 2010 when I visited the place. My usual mix is 4 oz Wiser's Canadian whisky and 1.25 or so vermouth, either Antiqua Formula or Noilly Prat, plus one full eye dropper of VTR bitters

Well, I get my six pack of Bittercube. The VTR bitters bottle is fair size, hold probably 6-8 oz. The Bittercube are a 2 ounce bottle. I was feeling a bit underwhelmed given their price. Let me tell you, five tiny drops from the eye dropper packs a wallop.

Also, filled the barrel with filtered water and will let it soak until the weekend to let it swell and stop any leakage:

2012-08-29180344.jpg

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Laid down my first attempt at cask conditioning.

50 oz Wiser's Deluxe
20 oz Noilly Prat sweet
13 eye droppers Velvet Tango Room bitters

I'll take my first taste in a couple of weeks. Plan to bring home a 20cc syringe with a 14 gauge needle to use as my "wine thief."

Renton

Reaction score

I think you're right. Here's the mixing glass I'm obsessing over but for some reason can't get myself to part with the $60 for it. I figure I'll smarten up and buy it soon:
MXG_SEAMLESYAP_0000_JAP-2T.jpg

I've had my eye on that for a while but is there a the real advantage of using that over the larger half of a Boston shaker?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. At least the glass of the shaker works fine for me (the only possible difference is the thickness of the glass, i.e. the boston shaker glass can absorb more coldness leading to more -- whether it really makes a difference, I don't know-- dillution). But then again a real mixing glass has much more style. And this is styleforum after all. ;)

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the cask is a cool home bar toy, but I absolutely hate the branding across the front.

Renton

Reaction score

I don't think so. At least the glass of the shaker works fine for me (the only possible difference is the thickness of the glass, i.e. the boston shaker glass can absorb more coldness leading to more -- whether it really makes a difference, I don't know-- dillution). But then again a real mixing glass has much more style. And this is styleforum after all. ;)

I'm perfectly fine with it having more style and that is reason enough, but I was curious if there was a practical reason.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the cask is a cool home bar toy, but I absolutely hate the branding across the front.

well for about 20 usd on can get a 5 litre cask and have any simple or design you wish burnt on to it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've had my eye on that for a while but is there a the real advantage of using that over the larger half of a Boston shaker?

Bottom weighted to prevent tipping and the spout. Outside of that nothing but the aesthetics.

Next one will probably lack such a juvenile label but it tickled my fancy. I should know better than to order things when drinking.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are a closeup of some vintage French Bistro shot glasses. I love the heavy bottoms. They are supposed to be from the late 1800's. I use them for sipping a blanca tequila.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Very nice; thanks for sharing those pics.

So the bar I was at Tuesday...uses vintage cocktail glasses. Must smaller, more elegant than the huge ones we usually buy these days. The bartender cruises thrift stores for them. He also just scored a really nice, large mixing glass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads