• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy (Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, etc) revisited

LaymanX

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm visiting Italy later this year and am interested in some sartorial items that would be unique to the region. In particular, some leather goods (gloves, bags, jackets), shirting and shoes.

After some searches through the SF archives, I've come up
- Madova gloves. I've heard that the quality has gone south recently, but there hasn't been any recent posts
- Avoid the leather bazaar, attend the leather working school instead (Scuola del Cuoio)
- Try Enzo Bonafe for some RTW shoes
- Try Simone Abbarchi for shirting (I believe it's MTM?)
- Try Ottino for briefcases, bags

Apologies if I'm dredging up this region again, there hasn't been a recent post and some of the threads don't even load anymore with the new site.

Thanks

Kosta007

Reaction score
After studying abroad in Italy and traveling all around from January-May, I would say my overall favorite store was Battistoni in Rome. It's tucked into a small area off Via Condotti (block leading to the Spanish Steps). If you have time for a day trip to Naples, you should check out Chiaia which is the luxury end of the city along the water. It's where the Rubinacci flagship is and their stores are really nice to check out.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm visiting Italy later this year and am interested in some sartorial items that would be unique to the region. In particular, some leather goods (gloves, bags, jackets), shirting and shoes.

After some searches through the SF archives, I've come up
- Madova gloves. I've heard that the quality has gone south recently, but there hasn't been any recent posts
- Avoid the leather bazaar, attend the leather working school instead (Scuola del Cuoio)
- Try Enzo Bonafe for some RTW shoes
- Try Simone Abbarchi for shirting (I believe it's MTM?)
- Try Ottino for briefcases, bags

Apologies if I'm dredging up this region again, there hasn't been a recent post and some of the threads don't even load anymore with the new site.

Thanks

Off the top of my head:

For Florence, Luciano is not bad for gloves. Casini has some interesting leather jackets. Principe is a nice traditional menswear shop- I picked up a grenadine tie there. Mannina for bespoke and RTW, Otisopse for affordable good quality RTW, Bemer for the top stuff. Liverano or hunt down a local tailor shop. Luisaviaroma sometimes throws up interesting things- I picked up a Sassetti shell cordovan longwings there for under Euro300. There are some local outlets around in the historical centre where you can get good stuff for Yoox prices- picked up Incotex chinos for Euro55. You can get your own leather bag made up at some shops along the Porta Rossa or south of the Arno, or just choose from their available range.

Rome is not bad too, but I did not have enough time. Ripense for suits. There is a tailor 5-10 minutes walk south of the Spanish Steps- they even have Loro Piana Vicuna. Try on some Borrelli and Barba for shirts.

I did not like Milan, but again not much time there. The outlets have some interesting stuff.

emptym

Reaction score
In Florence I like Luciano for ties too, particularly their fleur-de-lis ones. Would like to try the small tailor shop of Mario Martinelli called La Bottega Del Cuito on Via Ghibellina.
If you find a good custom bag place like Petepan suggests, pls let us know. I like my Ottino bag a lot and it's held up well, I'd have liked a more natural leather.

In Milan, check out Via Cerva, just east of the Duomo. It has a great shoe repair and supplies shop, the Valextra outlet, a store called Capalbio that sells inexpensive, traditional Tuscan country clothes of heavy linen, canvas, tweed, and corduroy with interesting designs (now upstairs while leather jackets are downstairs), and a good, non-touristy restaurant called Trattoria da Pino.

Btw, do you want fabric from Simone Abbarchi or shirts? "Shirting" technically means the fabric to make shirts, not shirts themselves (one of my pet peeves that many online retailers get wrong, along with suiting).

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
In Florence I like Luciano for ties too, particularly their fleur-de-lis ones. Would like to try the small tailor shop of Mario Martinelli called La Bottega Del Cuito on Via Ghibellina.
If you find a good custom bag place like Petepan suggests, pls let us know. I like my Ottino bag a lot and it's held up well, I'd have liked a more natural leather.

In Milan, check out Via Cerva, just east of the Duomo. It has a great shoe repair and supplies shop, the Valextra outlet, a store called Capalbio that sells inexpensive, traditional Tuscan country clothes of heavy linen, canvas, tweed, and corduroy with interesting designs (now upstairs while leather jackets are downstairs), and a good, non-touristy restaurant called Trattoria da Pino.

Btw, do you want fabric from Simone Abbarchi or shirts? "Shirting" technically means the fabric to make shirts, not shirts themselves (one of my pet peeves that many online retailers get wrong, along with suiting).

Shirts actually! Apologies for the mixup. Thanks for the suggestions, adding them to my list.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Battistoni is a must for Rome. It is such a beautiful
store. The couple of times I've been there I've found the staff
a bit pushy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads