• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

It makes sense to have each and every pant tailor made? jeans, summer pants...

pingguo

Reaction score
Do you think it makes a big difference on how they look, or adjusting off the rack pants should be enough, I´m talking about any kind of pant EXCEPT SUIT pants.
Including jeans, cotton dockers-style pants etc.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll make a difference on how they look.

If you have the time and money, knock yourself out.

Matt S

Reaction score
It sure can make a difference. I have a very difficult time these days finding trousers OTR that fit me well. It's the current trend toward low-rise and slim fitting styles that makes it hard for me. But there is a lot to the shape of the trousers that is often overlooked. I'd get all trousers tailor made if I could. I don't believe in jeans for anything other than manual labour, so I don't see the point in having those custom made.

wsanford-shanghai

Reaction score
If fit and quality are high on your list then of course it makes sense to have them tailor made. If, however, your budget is an issue then it does not.

The cost of tailoring and use of better materials make make tailoring a pair of khakis cost several hundred dollars. Compare that with what you can buy at uniqlo, j.crew, etc. This is also the reason why it doesn't really make sense to get cotton suits tailor made.

Jeans are more difficult to have tailor made due to the patterns and construction being quite different to what a traditional tailor is used to. Some specialized machinery such as a chain stitching sew machine are also difficult to come by depending on your location.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.