• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is tracking on B&S common procedure?

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^I do use delivery confirmation but I hardly use insurance unless the buyer asks because I've only lost one package in about a decade of online buying and selling. Though I recently sold a compact camera to someone in spain, less than $250 total, and it was returned to sender because of an incorrect address and has been in limbo for like two months :( Paypal charged me for it and I'm still working on disputing it. I lost the camera and $250 so I really wish I paid the $5 for insurance then :(

I think Paypal policy is if item over 250 USD, you should buy paypal.

I don't know what will happen if you sell someone on ebay, ship internationally, over 250 USD, agreed no insurance in the terms and the buyer claimed did not receive.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going off this thread, what is everyone's thoughts about insurance. I do it for sure it it's over $300 but it's so cheap to do it on stuff that's like $150 as well

If you can't afford to lose it, you need insurance.

The seller is always the one who is ass out when a problem arises (unless you are shipping empty boxes as a scam).

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The seller is always the one who is ass out when a problem arises (unless you are shipping empty boxes as a scam).

i've seen ebay cases, someone bought a Hermes Birkin and claimed it's a fake. Then paypal refunded money. :uhoh:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've seen ebay cases, someone bought a Hermes Birkin and claimed it's a fake. Then paypal refunded money. :uhoh:

Paypal will always side with the buyer and screw the seller. Ebay disputes generally resolve the same way, which is awful considering that the seller can no longer leave feedback. That's pretty much why I've stopped using ebay. But yeah, shipping internationally is a pain, even to Canada. Plus, if you want to have insurance on the item that means you'll have to fill out the actual amount which means it'll probably get hit with customs charges for the buyer.

Last edited:

innerstyle

Reaction score
I pay and print USPS Priority mail shipping labels at usps.com or paypal.com and that includes free delivery confirmation. That said, I've had a few packages that I know were delivered but they were not scanned at delivery by the postal worker so they never showed up as delivered on the tracking page.

For Ebay Paypal shipments, I don't think delivery confirmation is enough for proof of delivery as a seller, I believe you need insurance as well so they'll get a signature?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pay and print USPS Priority mail shipping labels at usps.com or paypal.com and that includes free delivery confirmation. That said, I've had a few packages that I know were delivered but they were not scanned at delivery by the postal worker so they never showed up as delivered on the tracking page.
For Ebay Paypal shipments, I don't think delivery confirmation is enough for proof of delivery as a seller, I believe you need insurance as well so they'll get a signature?

+1

I even pay for insurance for large amounts.

Oasis

Reaction score

As the buyer, if you didn't agree to it and it was never mentioned, there is absolutely no reason to expect delivery confirmation. Why would you think otherwise?
On the other hand, what do you care? It is the seller's responsibility to ensure delivery. If you never receive the item, you can get a refund even if there was no insurance and no tracking.
Unless you send him direct payment (which would be stupid).
As a seller, I use tracking but not for the buyer's benefit. It's to protect me against crackhead buyers like you.

I care because I wanted the item enough to purchase it, hence I want the item more than I want the money I've paid for it. If it never arrives I get my money back and no item. Granted it's better than no money and no item but I'd have preferred to just get what I bought.

It's just idiocy sending an item out with no tracking if you're being paid via PP and not the gift option; all the buyer has to do is open a dispute and you'll lose. You'd be aswell shipping the item out and asking for payment when it arrives.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I care because I wanted the item enough to purchase it, hence I want the item more than I want the money I've paid for it. If it never arrives I get my money back and no item. Granted it's better than no money and no item but I'd have preferred to just get what I bought.
It's just idiocy sending an item out with no tracking if you're being paid via PP and not the gift option; all the buyer has to do is open a dispute and you'll lose. You'd be aswell shipping the item out and asking for payment when it arrives.

tracking or insurance doesn't increase the chance that a package will arrive (and arrive undamaged). It only provides a recourse if something goes wrong.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ship from US to other countries, at least I know Priority Mail envelop does not have option to track.
IF you print the label via paypal. it will give you a number, but it will just say your local postal office receive the envelop.

What about the case of using USPS custom number as tracking? Would sellers benefit from this or lose out in a dispute?

Last edited:

wzjradam

Reaction score
I only receive tracking numbers for the more expensive purchases for items I've purchased online. Whether it is here on styleforum or sufu, askandy, etc.

eseanyang

Reaction score
well he also messaged me "bro, I still haven't received this belt" 5 days after i sent it, and two of the days were weekends...so i guess this guy moves fast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads