• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this watch professional?

djs488

Reaction score
Looking to acquire my first watch and spend $500-800. I'm smitten with the Hamilton Khaki Officer model, and have found too versions. I'm leaning toward this first one with the light leather strap. Would this be appropriate to wear with a suit to an interview? Or is it too casual.

8-15082.jpg

Am I much better off getting this one?

dff7_1.JPG

Thanks!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both casual but the second is less so IMO.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watches are fine. The bands are not (from a professional standpoint). If you really like it, however, don't let the band stand in your way. You can always buy a more "professional" looking band and switch it out on weekends.

Phat Guido even goes so far as to switch bands on his Panerai Luminor to match his outfit for the day.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Phat Guido even goes so far as to switch bands on his Panerai Luminor to match his outfit for the day.

That's a lot of effort for something that's meant to be utilitarian.
smile.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
That's a lot of effort for something that's meant to be utilitarian.
smile.gif

Obsessive strap collecting and swapping is part of the Paneristi kool-aid.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kryn13
I second the idea of switching the band if that's the watch you like.
I think the watches are fine for business dress, but not the bands. Switching them would make a big difference.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why a metal band would be more professional.

In ye olde days, polite society liked their watches sleek, like their shoes, and not clunky. I would think that a simple, thin watch in precious metal, with a black or dark brown leather band, would be the most professional-looking of watches.

The SUV-sized watches with complications are sport watches. Once upon a time, they were more appropriate for weekend activities like private jet flying, scuba diving, and motorcar racing. They slipped into the professional wardrobe with the rest of the weekend-warrior business casual stuff.

But times have changed, a lot, so I would guess you can wear what you like. And I still think a thin, sleek watch would better match a suit and dress shoes.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
Thanks for the responses guys! In general, would a metal band be more proffesional? I was under the impression that the second band was, in fact, proffesional so I could use some tips. Thanks!

I believe it is said that the genuine alligator strap is the most elegant of all watch bands. I have the Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph, 42 mm, and it too came on a black genuine leather strap. I swapped it out to a chocolate brown crocodile and I believe it really transformed the watch to a more "professional" looking timepiece away from it's otherwise "sport watch" roots.

Of the two you posted the second watch has a more "professional" look as is, but either watch could have the strap changed out as several other people have already said. Dewey is in fact correct though in his statements. A true elegant/professional watch is meant to be slim, sleek, refined, and be modeled on a genuine leather/exotic strap.

Today you can get away with most anything though, and that is what makes it fun. Follow your own path and have fun doing it!!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They're definitely not dress watches, but yes, if there was a rule regarding watches and wardrobe they're pretty much ignored nowadays. If you like those Hamiltons, and as long as they're not too big around your wrist then go for it- but don't wear that vintage-like leather strap.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
but don't wear that vintage-like leather strap.

Of the few Hamiltons I've seen in person, I thought their leather straps rather sucked anyway.

I'm thinking of buying one in the future as a beater and will most likely change the strap if I decide to get leather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The addition of the chronograph function (timewatch function) on the second watch actually makes it LESS formal/MORE casual.

The dressy the watch is, the simpler it is (akin to shoes)

The suede band is too casual for suits. I'd swap it out for plain leather.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first watch, with another band (perhaps plain black without different color stitching) would make a fine choice for almost any occasion short of super formal. It's a nice looking watch.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I don't understand why a metal band would be more professional.

In ye olde days, polite society liked their watches sleek, like their shoes, and not clunky. I would think that a simple, thin watch in precious metal, with a black or dark brown leather band, would be the most professional-looking of watches.

The SUV-sized watches with complications are sport watches. Once upon a time, they were more appropriate for weekend activities like private jet flying, scuba diving, and motorcar racing. They slipped into the professional wardrobe with the rest of the weekend-warrior business casual stuff.

But times have changed, a lot, so I would guess you can wear what you like. And I still think a thin, sleek watch would better match a suit and dress shoes.

Personally I dislike a lot of the thin watches. So what if times are changing-- personally I like the bigger watches. I think both look good, but maybe a sleeker band could make it look more "professional".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads