• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate width of lapel wide for office?

Supalerk

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I need an advise of the wide of lapel. At this moment, I want to buy navy cotton suit, Roma fit, from Suitsupply. I wish to always wear this suit in my office and might be occasionally in casual vibe. The lapel width of this suit is 11.5 cm (notch lapel) and it is quite wide, in my opinion. I'm afraid that it might be inappropriate or too outstanding in some formal vibe.

Does anyone has any experience or suggestion with this kind of lapel in formal situation?

(The first picture is the one I prefer but its color is difficult to see the suit structure clearly. So I have attached the second picture with the same model which is easier to observe)

Many thanks

jh6oljnv.png

ngxz5uqi.png

KOz

Reaction score
It's a bit wide, sure. If you want something more trend-proof, get something with lapels proportionate to your body. Whether it works for your circumstances depends on your work environment. What is it like? What do others dress like?

Supalerk

Reaction score
It's a bit wide, sure. If you want something more trend-proof, get something with lapels proportionate to your body. Whether it works for your circumstances depends on your work environment. What is it like? What do others dress like?

Thank you for reply KOz!

Most people in my office usually wear suit with typical lapel. I think it might be around 7-9 cm. Compare with others, I am pretty sure that the lapel of this Suitsupply suit will be a bit wider than everyone suit in my office. I am still hesitate to buy it because the design is contemporary and step out of the former style of suit nowadays. I think I got answer from your comment and also my comment as well. I just want a few opinion to weigh before make decision. Cheers!

rjc149

Reaction score
Classic lapel widths are 3 - 4 inches, or where the point falls roughly midway between the lapel's fold and the shoulder seam, give or take. 4 inches is on the wide side for me personally, my lapels are all 3 - 3.25 inches.

The pendulum of trendy lapel widths has been swinging throughout the 20th century. Narrow, wide, narrow, wide, in the 2000's and 2010's narrow, now wide again. With a 3 - 4 inch lapel width, your suit will not become a relic anytime too soon.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Honestly, the way most people, even higher ups and executives at some of these companies I see dress, as long as you don’t have insane 5+ inch lapels you should be fine. Nobody will care or notice, no one is running around with a tape measure in any office measuring lapels. 90% of people don’t even know what a lapel is outside of these forums. If your suit fits well, then you’re already ahead of most people.

Just please for the love of everything never ever wear sneakers with a suit! It has to be the worst trend to emerge in the past several years.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the knees and elbows of a dark navy COTTON suit showing color loss due to wear than the size of those lapels. Cotton tends to be a more casual choice, dark navy more formal, so there is also a bit of a strange combination here.

Verve

Reaction score
You sound hesitant about the purchase due to the width of lapels. I would recommend shopping around for the lapel width you prefer because you don’t want any regrets or any iota of self-conscious doubt about how you’re dressed/feel when putting on your bad-ass suit of armor for a work environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads