• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit jacket too large for me? Should I make any adjustment?

Fiurrino

Reaction score
Hi, guys! Last week I went to a few different stores in order to a find me a new suit. I'm a lawyer and I needed a good quality suit that I could use in my everyday job. One thing that I was specifically looking for, besides beauty, is comfort. My previously jacket suit was somehow discomfort, possibly because of the weight of the jacket. Btw, I'm a 6" with 74kg.
Anyways, in the third store I found what I considered to be the best option for me. It was a relatively lightweight suit, of a good local brand and with a reasonable price. At first, the suit dressed and felt very good. However, after some time using it (and noticing other people suits) I thought whether it was too large for me - namely the jacket hem.

Could you guys provide me any feedback?

Front buttoned

Back buttoned

Rear side buttoned

Front opened

PS.: This is a 48 medium size / traditional (not slim) jacket. I tested the 46 and the fit was too small. I also tried slim, but I prefered the comfort of the traditional one. I'm not using the trousers that came with it, because it was left on the store so they could fix the break (hem it).
In terms of comfort, this suit is incomparable. I feel very good wearing it. But I also want to look good. Is there anything I could change in this suit? What are you guys impressions?Ps.: I went back to the store and the seller told me he could shorten the jacket, but the result could potentially be disproportional (in the back specially) because of my height (6 feet).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a little big. How do the chest and shoulders feel?
I am no tailor but my guess is that the waist could be taken
in a bit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The length in the jacket is fine, definitely would not shorten it. Personally I think the jacket is the right size for you but the slim lapels are a bit incongruous with the fuller fit. At your height and weight I definitely wouldn’t go down to a 36R. You could take it to a tailor and see if it could be taken in just a bit through the chest and waist, but I wouldn’t overdo it.

Last edited:

Fiurrino

Reaction score
The length in the jacket is fine, definitely would not shorten it. Personally I think the jacket is the right size for you but the slim lapels are a bit incongruous with the fuller fit. At your height and weight I definitely wouldn’t go down to a 36R. You could take it to a tailor and see if it could be taken just a bit through the chest and waist, but I wouldn’t overdo it.
Thanks for the answer!
I posted this topic in a subreddit and the vast majority of people also recommended that I brought it to a tailor so he could take the waist a little bit.
What about the armholes? Some user said that I should pull it in a little bit. Is this really recommended? Would it eventually mess the jacket up?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer!
I posted this topic in a subreddit and the vast majority of people also recommended that I brought it to a tailor so he could take the waist a little bit.
What about the armholes? Some user said that I should pull it in a little bit. Is this really recommended? Would it eventually mess the jacket up?
I am not a tailor but my understanding is that raising the armholes is a complicated alteration and not generally worth doing on a finished garment. If the chest is taken in at the side seams all the way up to the armscye, then I think that may have the effect of making the armhole a bit smaller but I'd ask a tailor who knows what they're doing.

Fiurrino

Reaction score
I am not a tailor but my understanding is that raising the armholes is a complicated alteration and not generally worth doing on a finished garment. If the chest is taken in at the side seams all the way up to the armscye, then I think that may have the effect of making the armhole a bit smaller but I'd ask a tailor who knows what they're doing.
Thanks.
Do you think the shoulders are well alligned?
I'll come back to the store and request them to take some inches in the back (namely the armpit area, which looks to have some excess fabric) and the waist.
Possibly this would be enough, I believe, wouldn't it?
Indeed the 46 (36R, I guess?) seemed way too small for me - which was also stated by the seller.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shoulders look okay but how do they feel to you?
when you go to the tailor, wear a proper dress shirt, and have them pin the alterations first so that you can see and feel how the jacket fits. A little goes a long way -- don't overdo it or else you may end up with an overly pinched waist and/or a jacket that makes your hips look big.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Do you think the shoulders are well alligned?
I'll come back to the store and request them to take some inches in the back (namely the armpit area, which looks to have some excess fabric) and the waist.
Possibly this would be enough, I believe, wouldn't it?
Indeed the 46 (36R, I guess?) seemed way too small for me - which was also stated by the seller.

What brand is the suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads