• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this child abuse or neglect?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Children's Services are very frustrating to work with. Sometimes they are a godsend, other times I shudder to get them involved because of the mess they will make. Thresholds vary but it takes alot to break up an intact family, even when it is in the best interest of the kid. You also don't have to be certain that what is going on is over the line. Make a call to 1800childline, explain the situation, they will tell you if it is reportable. If you dont want to give names off the bat, phrase your story as a hypothetical situation, they get that very often and can give you the same advice. Before doing anything however, make sure there are no additional variables that might cause the parents to retaliate against the kids if a call is made.

dl

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As tragic as the situation might seem, I don't know that any of it approaches child neglect. It certainly isn't child abuse. The fact that the kids are not toilet trained is probably the only thing child services is going to be at all interested in.

The parents might be welfare cheats, though, which is probably a helluva lot easier to prove than child neglect. If you want to raise a stink I'd say make a call to both child services and to the public assistance office.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
are you in singapore, tieguy?

well he's polish for sure. no telling where he is now, though, i'd say either poland or the US. something should be done about the kids

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'd report and let the authorities sort it out.

Originally Posted by eztantz
It is obvious that these parents cannot care for their kids and the kids have serious emotional issues. You need to report this.

Originally Posted by Incman
...I don't particularly like kids, and would never consider having one of my own due to my being a selfish bastard. However, if you have a kid or kids, you have a responsibility to ensure that kid's needs are met. I am so ******* fed up lately with all the scumbags in the human race...

Originally Posted by Duff_Man
Child services. Now.

Call now. Right now.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my $0.02 is to call and let social welfare sort it out

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
How do you diagnose a 4yo with ADHD? Those F***ers are all kinda the same at that age.
You do it for the crazy check. Whether the the government will actually give them out for ADHD I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it sounds like a situation that necessarily warrants the kids being taken away from their family, but it certainly sounds like a family in crisis and that these parents are in way over their heads.

Talk to social services, and although they may not take the kids away, they may send social workers to check on them and at least try to help the parents do the right thing and look after their kids properly.

thetieguy

Reaction score
I just called. It was not an easy thing to do. They asked a bunch of questions and said they would start an investigation. They said someone could contact me to get more info. No matter what happens, I feel bad for the kids and hope they get whats best. It is a sad situation.

Red Fish Blue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
People that treat kids badly make me *******
ffffuuuu.gif
so hard. I don't particularly like kids, and would never consider having one of my own due to my being a selfish bastard. However, if you have a kid or kids, you have a responsibility to ensure that kid's needs are met. I am so ******* fed up lately with all the scumbags in the human race. If any of you have ever seen the site People of Walmart, you'll know what I'm talking about.

You sound exactly like me. I think I have to hate you on principle.

Inficius

Reaction score
Once I read about the 9 year old throwing a book at the teacher, I knew something should be done. It looks as though he has some problems and I doubt his parents are going to help.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It sounds like your real concern is that the children aren't getting the attention and concern that they need from their parents. Unfortunately I don't expect there's much the authorities can or will do about it.

That said, now we won't have to speculate. You did the right thing.

thetieguy

Reaction score
The dogs and cats have pooped an dpeed int heir bed and the parents did not want to change the sheets. I know it doesn't matter but the dad said its a good thing both kids are disabled but we should be getting more money for the 4 year old because he is worse. Who could say something like that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads