• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this a blucher?

dapperdude

Reaction score
In case my previous message was not clear, the "something" I need is shoes.
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's a blucher - and it's fine for business casual.

In fact, in America, you can get away with wearing balmorals for business casual as well (and bluchers with suits), because nobody you ever meet in real life will notice the difference or care.

dapperdude

Reaction score
What about this style in a deep brown or cordovan red with khakis? Is it too dressy for khakis? Thanks.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Khakis with black shoes?
confused.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
What about this style in a deep brown or cordovan red with khakis? Is it too dressy for khakis? Thanks.

Allen-Edmonds never made the Troy, if that's what you are specifically talking about, in deep brown or merlot (the term A-E uses for its burgundy/"cordovan"-colored calfskins). The Troy was only offered in black or Antibes chestnut. The latter color would go well with khakis. I would actually find it more complementary to khakis than a dark brown or burgundy although the latter can certainly be worn. Of course, you can wear black shoes with khaki, but the practice is generally regarded as a subpar in the forum culture, although it was popular at my prep school a half-century ago, and black shoes and khaki uniform were prescribed for my minimal military service.

Allen-Edmonds discontinued the Troy well over a year ago, so supplies may be getting spotty. Of course, Allen-Edmonds has made many other blucher styles that would be appropriate. For a business casual environment, you might consider some of their rubber-soled "Dress Casual" offerings like the Ashton or the recently discontinued Stockbridge or Bergland.

Hope this is of some help.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
bluchers are fine for suits.

i think the more depends on the last the styling and shape.

if it is an elegant shape and conservative color, you can wear it with suits appropriately , whether this country cares or not.

i ve seen bals that look so casual that it will be awkward to wear with a suit.

i prefer bluchers/derbies however, personally.
there is more going on above and is more striking in nature/character. bals do not really appeal to me as an authoritative look when compared to a similarly designed elegant blucher.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
No, it's not too dressy for khakis.
Please allow me to cast a dissenting vote. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of AE's styling; but, even if I did like AE's styling, I think that particular model is more on par for a sportcoat/odd pants combo. A little too formal for khakis, IMO.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Please allow me to cast a dissenting vote. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of AE's styling; but, even if I did like AE's styling, I think that particular model is more on par for a sportcoat/odd pants combo. A little too formal for khakis, IMO.

I think in brown it might be ok though

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Khakis with black shoes?
confused.gif

I dislike that look intensely. I see it quite frequently at my school. I'd rather see LugZ

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
bluchers are fine for suits.

i think the more depends on the last the styling and shape.

if it is an elegant shape and conservative color, you can wear it with suits appropriately , whether this country cares or not.

i ve seen bals that look so casual that it will be awkward to wear with a suit.

i prefer bluchers/derbies however, personally.
there is more going on above and is more striking in nature/character. bals do not really appeal to me as an authoritative look when compared to a similarly designed elegant blucher.

I did not even know that there was a conceptual difference between bals and bluchers before starting to read SF. I think that one of these days I will start critizising my colleagues who wear bluchers with their suits, but it may be dangerous: my recent criticism of their polyester shirts have made them concerned about my mental health.

By the way, why are bals called bals? I saw this movie "The Queen" the other day (and I liked it), and suddenly realized that Balmoral was where the royalties went to hunt and relax. Some connection?

Buickguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa

By the way, why are bals called bals? I saw this movie "The Queen" the other day (and I liked it), and suddenly realized that Balmoral was where they royalties went to hunt and relax. Some connection?

Balmorals are also sometimes called Oxfords.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buickguy
Balmorals are also sometimes called Oxfords.

And bluchers are called "derbies" or something like that, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads