• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a "go to" peacoat maker that I have overlooked?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crombie makes a great one - I love mine. Unfortunately, it looks like they've suspended all operations during the pandemic

Vizard

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

Vizard

Reaction score
Crombie makes a great one - I love mine. Unfortunately, it looks like they've suspended all operations during the pandemic

Yes, I noticed this when I checked their site yesterday. A shame. Though to be honest, I struggled with their coats. I ordered four of them a couple of years ago and returned them all. The quality wasn't as good as I would have hoped and the fit wasn't for me.

Vizard

Reaction score
740_NAV_frt1.jpg

hmm I can't seem to find it.

I emailed Schott about this. Apparently the ones they do for their home market have no logo, those for export have the logo.

I have ordered a Gloverall one. If it's okay when it arrives I will keep that, otherwise I may seek out a US version 740.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed Schott about this. Apparently the ones they do for their home market have no logo, those for export have the logo.

I have ordered a Gloverall one. If it's okay when it arrives I will keep that, otherwise I may seek out a US version 740.
Definitely keep me updated! I'm curious to see how the Gloverall one is and how you find it.

Vizard

Reaction score
Definitely keep me updated! I'm curious to see how the Gloverall one is and how you find it.

As requested, I will keep you updated.... though I am not entirely sure you will want to hear this.

My coat arrived today. Well, when I say MY coat, I think actually it was someone else's until recently. Read on...

The box that it arrived in looked as though it had been used as a puck in some sort of giant's ice hockey match. That, in my experience, is never a good start. Quality goods always arrive well-packed.

When I opened the box there were two coats (for sizing). The larger one looked new. The other looked like it had come from a jumble sale. One of the buttons was loose on its shank and it was covered in dust and fluff.

I plunged my hand into the left pocket to find that it had debris, wood shavings I think, and a stick in it. In the right pocket was a lump of screwed up foil. Once unravelled, my best guess is that it was from an energy bar.

I can honestly say that the coats I took to the charity shop yesterday were in better condition.

To say that I am angry doesn't cover it! I buy new clothes and expect them to be clean.

I have emailed and called Gloverall, sharing my advice! They are sending out a new coat and a modest discount. But I would far rather not have had the bad experience.

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As requested, I will keep you updated.... though I am not entirely sure you will want to hear this.

My coat arrived today. Well, when I say MY coat, I think actually it was someone else's until recently. Read on...

The box that it arrived in looked as though it had been used as a puck in some sort of giant's ice hockey match. That, in my experience, is never a good start. Quality goods always arrive well-packed.

When I opened the box there were two coats (for sizing). The larger one looked new. The other looked like it had come from a jumble sale. One of the buttons was loose on its shank and it was covered in dust and fluff.

I plunged my hand into the left pocket to find that it had debris, wood shavings I think, and a stick in it. In the right pocket was a lump of screwed up foil. Once unravelled, my best guess is that it was from an energy bar.

I can honestly say that the coats I took to the charity shop yesterday were in better condition.

To say that I am angry doesn't cover it! I buy new clothes and expect them to be clean.

I have emailed and called Gloverall, sharing my advice! They are sending out a new coat and a modest discount. But I would far rather not have had the bad experience.

View attachment 1472162

View attachment 1472161
View attachment 1472160
I laughed, so it was definitely worth reading.

I've never heard of this happening and I'd probably be angry in your spot too. I'm glad they're giving you a discount though.

Vizard

Reaction score
Oh so you would laugh at my misfortune, would you? You sod.:)

I've calmed down now. I think I was peed off because I spent so long choosing just the right coat and now it needs to go back.

I'll get over myself sometime.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh so you would laugh at my misfortune, would you? You sod.:)

I've calmed down now. I think I was peed off because I spent so long choosing just the right coat and now it needs to go back.

I'll get over myself sometime.
Stinky sod I am! The description of giants and ice hockey pucks added to the humour on my side.

I understand the frustration man. You order something expecting joy. After opening, it just isn't what you wanted or expected...putting it lightly in this situation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics