• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is pink tweed ridiculous?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question, I think, is why one would want to wear it. To say "Look at me"? "Eff you"? "I'm a cotton candy dandy"? None of those strikes me as very appealing. So what's the message?

I'm all for wearing what you like, but this slips into conspicuous peacocking for the sake of peacocking.

Do you really want to be a novelty clothing kind of guy?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For most people yes, but a few can carry it off as these two illustrations suggest.

Oleg

Reaction score
Pink tweed doesn't seem particularly controversial in principle: a softer, slightly greyer pink (unpatterned) is quite a popular choice. The one in the OP is a bit bloody much though

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The question, I think, is why one would want to wear it. To say "Look at me"? "Eff you"? "I'm a cotton candy dandy"? None of those strikes me as very appealing. So what's the message?

I'm all for wearing what you like, but this slips into conspicuous peacocking for the sake of peacocking.

Do you really want to be a novelty clothing kind of guy?

The oblivion lies within your comment. I respect you, Doc, but there are some places some folks are willing to go just for the sake of going. Some fail. Some win. Some do either but, spectacularly.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is great if you're dressing up for Halloween as a 1970s used car salesman.
Otherwise, this looks is great for getting laid at nursing homes.

For most, yeah. But send it to RSS, NORE, or myself, and I bet if IRL pics were posted, it would be different.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For most, yeah. But send it to RSS, NORE, or myself, and I bet if IRL pics were posted, it would be different.

Different how, though? That it would get praise from clothing hobbyists on an Internet clothing message board? Do you think that would be reflective of the average reaction from people outside SF? We have a thread on this very forum where posters make knee-jerk reactions about random people based on their unconventional clothing choices. And those reactions are pretty consistently negative.

No matter how well you style and accessorize a bright pink tweed coat, it's still a bright pink tweed coat. And you'd be the dude in the bright pink tweed coat.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Different how, though? That it would get praise from clothing hobbyists on an Internet clothing message board? Do you think that would be reflective of the average reaction from people outside SF? We have a thread on this very forum where posters make knee-jerk reactions about random people based on their unconventional clothing choices. And those reactions are pretty consistently negative.

No matter how well you style and accessorize a bright pink tweed coat, it's still a bright pink tweed coat. And you'd be the dude in the bright pink tweed coat.

At the most literal, yes. However, this coat is about attitude, confidence, and balls. Bright pink is a heck of a lot different than hot pink, magenta, or any of those other Barbie color choices. This would get muted out with a pair of grey trousers and brown suede monks and be an awesome piece.

I would rock this in a heartbeat if I could justify the price. I simply cannot justify that kind of money for a back of the closet statement piece that gets at most 20 wears per year. I would rather buy a pair of green shoes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At the most literal, yes. However, this coat is about attitude, confidence, and balls.

The forum loves this notion these days. But don't you think all the guys on the Sartorialist are convinced they are rocking it? Do you react positively to them as a result?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I necessarily like all the stuff some of those guys in those threads are wearing but some of them rock it well. Take James for instance. He rocks a lot of what he wears well even tho most of it isn't for the squeamish.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The forum loves this notion these days. But don't you think all the guys on the Sartorialist are convinced they are rocking it? Do you react positively to them as a result?

Well the same can be said about a lot of things. Some can pull it off, some can't, some think that they could pull it off and in reality can't. We say the same thing about anything aesthetic. "Does that guy really think he's fooling anyone with that hair transplant, toupee, et al.?"

I was a bit amorphic in my response. It is about all the things that I have listed, as well as it looking good on them. There are a few who could pull that off and there are many more who think that they can pull it off and look like an enormous twat, both literally and figuratively. Would you think twice about the coat if you saw Don Cherry wearing it? Or would you find it an actual conservative color and shape on him?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Take James for instance. He rocks a lot of what he wears well even tho most of it isn't for the squeamish.

Somewhere sainted Vox is smiling.

Sure, confidence is appealing. I give you that. A little audacity is often a good thing. But confidence can be misplaced as well. The secret to really rocking something, IMO, is knowing when and where to draw the line. Confusing confidence with a license to wear anything is how fashion victims are born.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preach on, Doc.

PREACH.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Breanish makes some pink tweed (below) as well as other bright colors. And this outfit sells pink donegal. Whether it looks good is up to you, but there are many other things I'd wear before pink tweed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads