1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is pink tweed ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antikantian, Aug 28, 2011.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

I wouldn't say I necessarily like all the stuff some of those guys in those threads are wearing but some of them rock it well. Take James for instance. He rocks a lot of what he wears well even tho most of it isn't for the squeamish.

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Well the same can be said about a lot of things. Some can pull it off, some can't, some think that they could pull it off and in reality can't. We say the same thing about anything aesthetic. "Does that guy really think he's fooling anyone with that hair transplant, toupee, et al.?"

I was a bit amorphic in my response. It is about all the things that I have listed, as well as it looking good on them. There are a few who could pull that off and there are many more who think that they can pull it off and look like an enormous twat, both literally and figuratively. Would you think twice about the coat if you saw Don Cherry wearing it? Or would you find it an actual conservative color and shape on him?

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Somewhere sainted Vox is smiling.

Sure, confidence is appealing. I give you that. A little audacity is often a good thing. But confidence can be misplaced as well. The secret to really rocking something, IMO, is knowing when and where to draw the line. Confusing confidence with a license to wear anything is how fashion victims are born.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Preach on, Doc.

PREACH.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Breanish makes some pink tweed (below) as well as other bright colors. And this outfit sells pink donegal. Whether it looks good is up to you, but there are many other things I'd wear before pink tweed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. DocHolliday

The average guy, though, isn't Don Cherry. And the average observer isn't a poster on Internet message boards. You and are I somewhat indoctrinated to stuff like that, but most of the world is not. There are a few places where I can imagine something like that being worn, but it's entirely situational, and I would think that a person who could pull it off would know how and where without consulting an online message board.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive. But I see a lot of dudes online convinced they're rocking it when the context of their photos tells me they're definitely not rocking it.

7. DocHolliday

Can I get an Amen, brother? Hallelujah!

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'd like to suggest an analogy here which, like all analogies, is imperfect. Dressing is an aesthetic act, not unlike painting, songwriting, etc. The arts progress because artists do bold things that look like mistakes from the point of view of the tradition. Sometimes those bold moves are obvious failures. KISS took a bold new direction with The Elder and fell on their faces. The Elder now looks like a novelty record. OTOH, Radiohead took a bold new direction with OK Computer. That record does not look like a novelty because they won lots of people over to their innovation. Sometimes we think a band fell on their faces, and then later realize that they didn't--e.g., The Kinks with Village Green Preservation Society. On the whole, it's good that artists take bold risks; otherwise popular music would still sound like "Peggy Sue." Of course an individual wearing a pink SC is not exactly like Radiohead releasing OK Computer. But the general point stands, I think.

I don't think it's obvious that a guy wearing a pink SC is falling on his face. Of course it's bold, but it might be more like The Village Green Preservation Society than The Elder.

1 person likes this.
  9. NORE

NORE Senior member

To oversimplify things a bit, I think it all comes down to what that particular jacket is paired with and fit. Period.

10. DocHolliday

This is where we differ. I think it comes down to the pairing, the fit, where it's being worn, and the guy wearing it. Pulling stuff like that off takes some honest introspection.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think wearing this jacket is more about standing out than really looking your best. I also dislike this shade of red/pink.

If you have the right skin tone I think a great color jacket for spring (in linen and or cotton and silk) is a shade of brick red, dusty and earthy. That color can be very flattering.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

tis why I threw in the oversimplificatory thingie ;)

Could a leprachaun pull it off? Could Shaq? Probably not.
    How about the guy known to only wear light blue or white shirts?
    Or the dude whose coat and tie come off as soon as humanly possible?
    The guy whose wife shops for him? The purse holder at the mall?
    Nah.

But there are a handful of guys, say, on these fora (based on your perception of their style over the months/years) I'm sure you could think of sporting this jacket handsomely.

Even then, where would they wear it, to work? To the country club? Out clubbing? On a beer run? Ahhh.

But it can be done or these houses wouldn't even offer [the cloth] unless your argument then would be it was offered with the fairer sex in mind.

Amirite?

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is some of the best advice I have ever read on this forum.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

When people ask if it is 'ok' to wear something or do something this old poem comes to my mind.

Wear whatever you like and enjoy life. Don't just live life but live life well.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would feel very self-consious, and thus uncomfortable, in a bright pink jacket. I don't think it's for lack of courage or "ability to rock it". It's just not my personality. If it fits your personality, go for it.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Some people will wear a jacket like that as a personal statement... To be elegant is to be understated and wearing such strong item is a risky affair...

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

When you have worn navy, charcoal and black to the point of utter boredom, it may be time to explore other options, If I wore the pink tweed in the OP, I would be unconcerned with what anyone thinks. It may upset some and delight others. It may even make some laugh as I pass by but I will have made at least one persons day, if no one elses, my own. :D

18. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

It would be better if he buttoned his collar. anyone else vexed by this?

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Spot on. It's about confidence... but confidence in knowing who you are, not in knowing you can wear what you want.

If one's personality is such that understated, relaxed elegance appeals aesthetically, then I rather doubt pink tweed would occupy a prominent place in one's wardrobe! If, on the other hand, one enjoys the drama/hilarity of the bizarre, then it may well be just the piece to round out a winter outfit. Insight into one's own tastes and purposes is the prime consideration to all these kinds of questions and why clothing choices remain such an intriguing glimpse into the wearer's attitudes.

My own answer to the thread's question is that of course pink tweed is ridiculous, and that's no bad thing.

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well this got serious.